Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weather October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

It's too hot and too dry...

Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

I’ve stopped even looking at the long range models. Same thing every week as the drought intensifies to levels we haven’t seen in a decade. Fires and smoke are going to be a daily occurrence not to mention the ecological catastrophe unfolding for our trees, plants and wildlife.

3. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I’ve stopped even looking at the long range models. Same thing every week as the drought intensifies to levels we haven’t seen in a decade. Fires and smoke are going to be a daily occurrence not to mention the ecological catastrophe unfolding for our trees, plants and wildlife.
    We've had this same set-up occur in the last decade several times, it was not a "catastrophe" for our trees, plants, and wildlife. It's certainly not ideal for them (new plantings especially will be at risk as well as trees that were hanging on through injury from the 2020 ice storm and 2021 deep freeze), but catastrophe is hyperbolic. Come next spring we will see renewal and hope. We always do. Remember, the plants and trees are heading into dormancy so they look rough right about now as they have suffered since mid-June, basically, and are getting ready to let go of their leaves. This is not a good time to judge long-term viability based on appearances. Many that look bad now will look near 100% come next April. This is just based on my historical observations.

Yeah, I’m at the point where I will believe we’ll finally get an areawide precipitation event once we are <36 hours out and the models haven’t yet backed off. Especially as we are most likely heading into our third straight La Niña winter.

I guess I am a little different, I view wildfires as beneficial to our ecosystem, killing of over growth and hopefully decreasing invasive species that push out our native species.

6. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Drier than Lincoln Riley's brisket. I hope we dont have a La Nina winter as well.

Catastrophe was more hyberbole, but it can’t be understated how the long-term affects of one of the hottest and driest summers (and now fall) will have on the local ecosystem. Take a drive through SE OK, I don’t ever remember seeing it look like this during late September.

8. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Catastrophe was more hyberbole, but it can’t be understated how the long-term affects of one of the hottest and driest summers (and now fall) will have on the local ecosystem. Take a drive through SE OK, I don’t ever remember seeing it look like this during late September.
    I have not been down there this year, I am sure it is looking quite different. Feel so badly about that. But again, the rains will return (especially down there) and things will reset. It's just hard to watch in the moment, though.

And due to the effects of climate change, this will sorta become the new normal, more extremes one way or another, and just fairly unpleasant(er) for most of the year than it has been.

Finally feeling like fall...hope it lasts awhile

Any predictions for an early snowfall this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Any predictions for an early snowfall this year?
    Is this a yes no answer? If you are asking for a date then December 7, 2023.

Right now some forecast models are indicating some rain chances around mid-week next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Is this a yes no answer? If you are asking for a date then December 7, 2023.

Right now some forecast models are indicating some rain chances around mid-week next week.
    Just curious. My sister turns 50 this year and my parents said that when she was born it was during a snow storm. She was born in November before Thanksgiving. It would be pretty interesting to have a 50 year snow storm occur.

14. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Got a surprise sprinkle on the south side this morning.

November 1972 was the snowiest November in OKC history at 7.5”, so I’m meh on our chances of ever repeating that. We average about 0.4” per November, last November snowfall was in 2018 (though of course, we did get a small amount of snow and a whole lot of ice in October 2020).

16. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Reading that from June 11 to today it has been the driest in 100 years. We need some rain!

I had to completely take out a nice evergreen that I cultivated for six years.

I watered it religiously, but it was close to the house and heat + the reflection off the brick killed it.

Walking through my neighborhood, I see lots of dead trees and shrubs.

18. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I watered it religiously, but it was close to the house and heat + the reflection off the brick killed it.

It's a bummer, but the only evergreen I have seen that survives well here is...surprise, surprise, the Eastern Red Cedar! I eventually lost a whole line of Emerald Thujas and I cared for them meticulously! Gardening here is not for the faint of heart.

I planted several evergreen's as well. Watered, watered, watered them. Yet, they didn't survive. Evergreen is now everbrown.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I planted several evergreen's as well. Watered, watered, watered them. Yet, they didn't survive. Evergreen is now everbrown.
    Did you hit them with some dashes of balanced fertilizer? Those young trees are often v. hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Did you hit them with some dashes of balanced fertilizer? Those young trees are often v. hungry.
    Ugh. I didn't actually. Didn't really consider fertilizer. I assumed trying to over water them would do the trick. Apparently not.

Drove 75 through SE OK yesterday - really sad to see how dry that area looks right now. Dead or dying trees all over the place. So different than how it typically looks which is usually really lush and beautiful with the hills and forests

24. Default Re: October 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Drove 75 through SE OK yesterday - really sad to see how dry that area looks right now. Dead or dying trees all over the place. So different than how it typically looks which is usually really lush and beautiful with the hills and forests
    Again, don't assume that those tress are dead necessarily. I recently spoke with the Edmond Urban Forester and some trees go dormant as a defense mechanism because of heat and drought. They basically give up and just shut down for winter early. The way you can tell that it really has died is if it hangs onto its leaves through the winter when they would normally fall off. So if you go through that area next spring and see a bunch of trees with brown leaves on it, you know they have had a big tree kill.

Afternoon OUN discussion talking about some possible southwest flow aloft with a deepening western trough next week. This setup could allow for some rain and maybe some severe weather chances depending on the amount of moisture we can get in here.

Thread Information