Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

Holy sh!t! I know this isn’t Oklahoma but I was shocked at the 30 billion dollar plant in Sherman. Micron, a chip maker out of Boise, ID, announced a 100 billion dollar mega facility outside of Syracuse.

https://www.route-fifty.com/manageme...g-site/378047/

Default Re: $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

Good for them, must be nice to land a huge project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Good for them, must be nice to land a huge project.
    How amazing it would be to have this in between the Tulsa and OKC metros. I feel like there will be more opportunities to land something like this. Hopefully the state is paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How amazing it would be to have this in between the Tulsa and OKC metros. I feel like there will be more opportunities to land something like this. Hopefully the state is paying attention.
    Wasn’t there supposed to be something built?

We wouldn't have the workers for that. Nowhere near it.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    So there was never any kind of chip or semi conductor plant in the works? I really feel like there was?

7. Default Re: $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

I mean, they are building another plant in Idaho. I expect us to have equal or better workers than Idaho.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I mean, they are building another plant in Idaho. I expect us to have equal or better workers than Idaho.
    Our education is near the bottom, so no we don’t beat anyone but Mississippi on skilled workforce. As long as the emphasis in education here is on culture wars and not real education, OK will miss out on most tech opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Our education is near the bottom, so no we don’t beat anyone but Mississippi on skilled workforce. As long as the emphasis in education here is on culture wars and not real education, OK will miss out on most tech opportunities.
    I doubt making a chip takes a MENSA member........

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Oklahoma leadership needs to change. It's been taking the state in the wrong direction in another way. In 2012, CNBC ranked Oklahoma 23rd best state for doing business. In 2021 it had fallen to no. 32. In 2022, down to 38.

Right. It's a double edged sword....lower population generally means less crime, which is good, but not enough folks to man huge manufacturing, which is bad....i guess. The town of San Antonio has more people than the entire State of Oklahoma. You could highly educate everyone in Oklahoma but still not have the numbers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    Right. It's a double edged sword....lower population generally means less crime, which is good, but not enough folks to man huge manufacturing, which is bad....i guess. The town of San Antonio has more people than the entire State of Oklahoma. You could highly educate everyone in Oklahoma but still not have the numbers.
    No it doesn't. Not even close.

The city of San Antonio has 1.4 million people, Metro SA has 2.6 million. Oklahoma has 4 million people.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    No it doesn't. Not even close.

The city of San Antonio has 1.4 million people, Metro SA has 2.6 million. Oklahoma has 4 million people.
    Maybe he meant Dallas-Ft. Worth. Oklahoma benefits some from spillover from there as fast as it's still growing.

Also, if finding the workers isn't enough, this state simply can't afford what these companies are getting in incentives. This plant is going to get like, $6 billion in incentives. Oklahoma can't afford that hit, even with the income they might get from employee pay (due to robbing Peter to pay Paul, stealing from other employers in the state).

I'm interested in how many employees this facility will employ.
    Sherman has a population of <2k. Syracuse metro is <500k and is over 200 miles away from Sherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm interested in how many employees this facility will employ.
    Sherman has a population of <2k. Syracuse metro is <500k and is over 200 miles away from Sherman.
    It is supposed to be 9,000 people when it is fully operational.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    It is supposed to be 9,000 people when it is fully operational.
    Western Electric had 9000 + employees in the late 60's early 70s. In addition to the plant on Reno and Council. they had a satellite plant on Meridian close to Reno which became Seagate after Western Electric quit using the building. If Oklahoma could staff a manufacturing facility with 9000 people at that time I'm sure they could do it today..

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Western Electric had 9000 + employees in the late 60's early 70s. In addition to the plant on Reno and Council. they had a satellite plant on Meridian close to Reno which became Seagate after Western Electric quit using the building. If Oklahoma could staff a manufacturing facility with 9000 people at that time I'm sure they could do it today..
    Actually Morgan and Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Actually Morgan and Reno.
    Nope. I'm a former employee and I know where the satellite plant was.

I was politely corrected on my statement regarding San Antonio having a larger population than the State of Oklahoma....thanks for the info. It appears that Houston and Dallas have a larger population than Oklahoma. I guess we need to decide if we want to have all of the problems associated with larger industry or settle for the more peaceful life of a small population State. I suppose if one wanted to experience bigger industry then one could move.

i mean, in 2020 Oklahoma was 16th most murders per 100,000 people i believe, and in 2018 USA today had us ranked 12th most dangerous state. We are usually one of top 5 or 10 states in incarceration rates. So i am not really sure that it is true that smaller populations are lower crime. Jobs and education are some of the best ways to prevent crime, so getting something providing 9,000 jobs would be very helpful in keeping us safe.

Quote Originally Posted by stdennis View Post
    i mean, in 2020 Oklahoma was 16th most murders per 100,000 people i believe, and in 2018 USA today had us ranked 12th most dangerous state. We are usually one of top 5 or 10 states in incarceration rates. So i am not really sure that it is true that smaller populations are lower crime. Jobs and education are some of the best ways to prevent crime, so getting something providing 9,000 jobs would be very helpful in keeping us safe.
    I was reading up on the latest statistics and found this interesting link. It appears that Texas is ranked above Oklahoma as "The most dangerous State." The authors used more than just the crime rate in coming up with their ranking. One would think that a lower population would generally lead to lower crime but when you base the stats on "per 100,000" it kind of skews the impression, so you may be right.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ngerous-states

I was reading up on the latest statistics and found this interesting link. It appears that Texas is ranked above Oklahoma as "The most dangerous State." The authors used more than just the crime rate in coming up with their ranking. One would think that a lower population would generally lead to lower crime but when you base the stats on "per 100,000" it kind of skews the impression, so you may be right.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ngerous-states

I really don't think higher or lower population has much to do with crime. East St. Louis, Illinois has 18,000 people and is substantially more crime ridden than many places with 10x or even 50x more people.

I was politely corrected on my statement regarding San Antonio having a larger population than the State of Oklahoma....thanks for the info. It appears that Houston and Dallas have a larger population than Oklahoma. I guess we need to decide if we want to have all of the problems associated with larger industry or settle for the more peaceful life of a small population State. I suppose if one wanted to experience bigger industry then one could move.
    Actually a lot of interesting info. Population doesn’t always mean increased crime. Seattle routinely has 50-60 homicides a year. 2/3 of what Oklahoma City has year after year. Far less than Tulsa as well. Same with San Francisco if you don’t include the city of Oakland. Same with Portland although they did have more last year but Portland still had fewer murders than OkC in 2021. And likely will this year as well. I think it corresponds to literacy and education a less educated population will generally have a higher murder rate. People who commit murder aren’t terribly well educated. Take east St Louis. Or NOLA both smaller than okc city and okc metro but there are places I wouldn’t drive my car in both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Actually a lot of interesting info. Population doesn’t always mean increased crime. Seattle routinely has 50-60 homicides a year. 2/3 of what Oklahoma City has year after year. Far less than Tulsa as well. Same with San Francisco if you don’t include the city of Oakland. Same with Portland although they did have more last year but Portland still had fewer murders than OkC in 2021. And likely will this year as well. I think it corresponds to literacy and education a less educated population will generally have a higher murder rate. People who commit murder aren’t terribly well educated. Take east St Louis. Or NOLA both smaller than okc city and okc metro but there are places I wouldn’t drive my car in both.
    Don't have much of an opinion either way, but a quick Google search shows 2021 murder stats of-

110 in King County Washington

90 in Portland

82 in Oklahoma City

Thread Information