Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

Default Re: $100 Billion Dollar Chip Plant Announced for New York

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Actually a lot of interesting info. Population doesn’t always mean increased crime. Seattle routinely has 50-60 homicides a year. 2/3 of what Oklahoma City has year after year. Far less than Tulsa as well. Same with San Francisco if you don’t include the city of Oakland. Same with Portland although they did have more last year but Portland still had fewer murders than OkC in 2021. And likely will this year as well. I think it corresponds to literacy and education a less educated population will generally have a higher murder rate. People who commit murder aren’t terribly well educated. Take east St Louis. Or NOLA both smaller than okc city and okc metro but there are places I wouldn’t drive my car in both.
    Don't have much of an opinion either way, but a quick Google search shows 2021 murder stats of-

110 in King County Washington

90 in Portland

82 in Oklahoma City

What does San Antonio, OKC, Tulsa, education, murder rates, and crime in these Oklahoma cities have to do with a chip plant in NY?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What does San Antonio, OKC, Tulsa, education, murder rates, and crime in these Oklahoma cities have to do with a chip plant in NY?
    Much of the decision has to do with why we can't land these deals....how we compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Much of the decision has to do with why we can't land these deals....how we compare.
    Then why is there discussion about San Antonio and Texas. As far as the poverty, education, crime, murder rate what is the relevance if there are no comparissons with Sherman NY?
    Maybe it has to do with latitude, temperate climate, who really knows.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Then why is there discussion about San Antonio and Texas. As far as the poverty, education, crime, murder rate what is the relevance if there are no comparissons with Sherman NY?
    Maybe it has to do with latitude, temperate climate, who really knows.
    I think it has to do with how many people are in a particular area. If an area has a higher population, then the percentage of folks that have the education to operate a "chip" plant is probably more likely. Just as an example, if there are 2 qualified mechanics per 1000 then it makes sense that there are more mechanics in NY vs Oklahoma. If the amount of crime is relevant to the folks choosing an area to build a high tech facility, than I would think that the more highly populated an area is the more crime there is, based on the "per 100,000" figure. I could be wrong....., but that's why San Antonio and Texas came up.....more people.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    I think it has to do with how many people are in a particular area. If an area has a higher population, then the percentage of folks that have the education to operate a "chip" plant is probably more likely. Just as an example, if there are 2 qualified mechanics per 1000 then it makes sense that there are more mechanics in NY vs Oklahoma. If the amount of crime is relevant to the folks choosing an area to build a high tech facility, than I would think that the more highly populated an area is the more crime there is, based on the "per 100,000" figure. I could be wrong....., but that's why San Antonio and Texas came up.....more people.
    Oklahoma’s percentage of qualified is lower than almost all states. Ok school performance is abysmal. So , we have to rely on move ins, and that gets more difficult considering the culture wars started here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Oklahoma’s percentage of qualified is lower than almost all states. Ok school performance is abysmal. So , we have to rely on move ins, and that gets more difficult considering the culture wars started here.
    Probably right, plus it's hard to compete with Texas. I'm pretty happy in Oklahoma, as an older retired person. I enjoy the lower population and the life style that it offers. I guess that's why when heading South on I-35 on a Sunday afternoon almost all of the vehicles have Texas tags...heading South for the work week and making the big bucks.

Thread Information