Widgets Magazine

Thread: Flycatcher Club

Default Flycatcher Club

Now open and serving what the Food Network's Alton Brown called the best double cheeseburger in America, The Flycatcher Club is located at 1137 NW 2nd next to Beer City Music Hall and Fair-Weather Friend brewery.

Flycatcher is operated by the proprietors of Bar Arbolada and also offers other food items and plenty of cold beer and drinks.

Open 4 PM until late; closed Mondays.

Default Re: Flycatcher Club

Beer cheese dip...I could handle a bowl of beer cheese soup/dip.

Any other places around that have beer cheese soup on the menu?

Best cheeseburger in america? I will have to eat it to believe it, I will give it a try this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Best cheeseburger in america? I will have to eat it to believe it, I will give it a try this weekend!
    It's good...New State is better IMO.

Hopefully this place is chill...Arbolada is a clown show in the evenings now.

5. Default Re: Flycatcher Club

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Pretty good, but not even the best cheeseburger in OKC.

6. Default Re: Flycatcher Club

Really wish them and FWF were open for lunch... Ride by it regularly on my bike and it would be an easy lunch stop on the days I'm at the office.

7. Default Re: Flycatcher Club

My girlfriend and I stopped by yesterday to check out the place and watch some football. It's a very nicely done, clean space, with comfortable booths and barstools, 4 or 5 TV's, and very nice bathrooms. Our drinks and food arrived promptly and the staff was friendly and very attentive. And you certainly can't beat $2 for a 16-oz. draft of Old Style!

This is a great addition to the area and definitely worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    It's good...New State is better IMO.

Hopefully this place is chill...Arbolada is a clown show in the evenings now.
    Haven’t tried this, but I have to tell you New State is the best burger I’ve had in a long time! Will be hard to beat them!

9. Default Re: Flycatcher Club

I have had their Cheese Burger and the Patty Melt. Both are great! For those comparing New State and saying it is a better burger, I think the burgers are very different and that is the best part about this place. It is more of a smashed patty with different veggies on it. New State is my favorite burger, but Flycatcher is a close second for me. The beer cheese and kettle chip combo are amazing by the way. Enjoy!

I forgot to add that my Vegan friends loved the No Meat option. So anyone can eat here!

Has New State changed? I went there a few times and thought it was very good but it didn't rank as top burger for me at all.

11. Default Re: Flycatcher Club

We stopped by again yesterday for a late-night snack and ordered the double cheeseburger, tater tots, and the beer-brined chicken strips. The burger was as good as always - cooked to perfection, crispy edges on the meat and nicely seasoned. The tater tots were a disappointment; not fully cooked and only lukewarm. The surprise of the meal, though, were the chicken strips. They were outstanding; fresh out of the fryer, seasoned well, a pepper aioli for dipping, and the portion size was huge for only $5. I just wish they had white gravy as a dipping sauce instead of the aioli.

I live downtown and this is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots for a cold beer and a tasty meal.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Has New State changed? I went there a few times and thought it was very good but it didn't rank as top burger for me at all.

Same. I recall an overbuttered top bun and the bun was too dense. Then again, the head person at the time wasn't at venn either.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The times I've had it, it was better than Arbolada...I can count how many times I eat a burger each year on one hand though and have never been to Tuckers or the El Reno joints.

New State is definitely one of our go-to's in OKC, but it's a completely different burger than Arbolada. There's been a little inconsistency at New State the year or so... it's already a pretty dense burger, so if the bun is too toasted it makes the entire burger pretty tough, but when they're on it's hard to beat.

Yeah agreed. I like both a lot - no need for the competition! To me, Arbolada is the best version of a McDonalds burger there could be if premium ingredients and cooking methods are used, etc.. New State is great and to me is more of a gourmet smash burger that is more "premium" than what Arbolada offers. Both have their place to me.

Also important to remember that the Arbolada started out as a late night weekend special - I.e., drunk food. Doubt they ever intended for them to blow up as much as they have. I do hope the opening of Flycatcher will result in Arbolada going back to a full menu. Some of the food on their original menu pre-pandemic was fantastic.

Went about 7pm Friday night...burger was fine, not that good but not bad. Place was totally slammed so looking forward to trying them again on a weeknight or earlier in the evening.

Thread Information