Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone try T-Mobile Home Internet?

1. Default Anyone try T-Mobile Home Internet?

Am a 19 yr. T-Mobile customer and am looking at trying their home Internet service. Has anyone tried it and what do you think? Would like to possibly cut all cords (I also have a long-time landline) with Cox and use YouTube TV as well.

Default Re: Anyone try T-Mobile Home Internet?

I've had it for about a year now.

Works great for me, but I live alone. I've had family over where a lot of people are using the WIFI at once without issue. There are times it is a bit slow and it will take a few seconds for streaming video to load, but that has been rare.

A bigger issue for me is that sometimes during the day (I'd say about 10 times) the speed becomes slow and hinders my ability to upload images to the OKCTalk server. WIFI slowness seems to affect uploads much more than downloads/stream/web browing.

But generally speaking, I'm very happy. It's $50/month and my price won't go up, I'm completely off Cox (TV and wifi) and using YoutubeTV which is cheap and a million times better. YoutubeTV has pretty much unlimited virtual DVR and I have hundreds of movies, sports and shows sitting in my library and they don't get bumped for months. You can have as many devices using YTV as you'd like, and can watch things no matter your location on your laptop or phone. It's fantastic, although some prefer Sling or one of the other live TV services.

I feel like the wifi is just slightly worse but getting completely rid of Cox is fantastic and the TV service I do have is way better and cheaper.

I should add that I've never had an outage, just some slow times which don't seem to last more than an hour.

Have you ever run a speed test to see what your up and down speeds are? You should run one when it's seems normal and again when it seems slow.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Have you ever run a speed test to see what your up and down speeds are? You should run one when it's seems normal and again when it seems slow.
    I've done that but don't remember the numbers off hand.

Overall, I think it's a great service for the money and it's super simple; one cylindrical device with good range inside and outside my house.

5. Default Re: Anyone try T-Mobile Home Internet?

I had it as well for my father-in-law to stream video while in a nursing home. Worked great for him (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.). Biggest issue I found was making sure there is coverage, as when I tried to relocate the unit - both within a mile or so of where my father-in-law had been using it in OKC, and Fort Meyers, FL (on the Florida Gulf Coast University campus) - the requisite coverage was not available. But at least T-Mobile can tell you in advance if there is coverage, and in addition to the great price as commented on by Pete, there is no long term contract so you can cancel anytime without penalty (assuming T-Mobile has not changed their terms).

6. Default Re: Anyone try T-Mobile Home Internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've had it for about a year now.

Works great for me, but I live alone. I've had family over where a lot of people are using the WIFI at once without issue. There are times it is a bit slow and it will take a few seconds for streaming video to load, but that has been rare.

A bigger issue for me is that sometimes during the day (I'd say about 10 times) the speed becomes slow and hinders my ability to upload images to the OKCTalk server. WIFI slowness seems to affect uploads much more than downloads/stream/web browing.

But generally speaking, I'm very happy. It's $50/month and my price won't go up, I'm completely off Cox (TV and wifi) and using YoutubeTV which is cheap and a million times better. YoutubeTV has pretty much unlimited virtual DVR and I have hundreds of movies, sports and shows sitting in my library and they don't get bumped for months. You can have as many devices using YTV as you'd like, and can watch things no matter your location on your laptop or phone. It's fantastic, although some prefer Sling or one of the other live TV services.

I feel like the wifi is just slightly worse but getting completely rid of Cox is fantastic and the TV service I do have is way better and cheaper.

I should add that I've never had an outage, just some slow times which don't seem to last more than an hour.
    Pete, thank you for such a complete review of BOTH services i am considering. I have read that they allow to hold stuff on the DVR for 9 months. Seems like forever, but I have things on my Cox DVR that have been there over a year that I still want to get to--just not enough hours in the day at my place in life it seems. I may have to just resign myself to setting those adrift and not worry about losing them. Thanks again for your helpful insights.

^

With YoutubeTV you can also record what seems to be an unlimited number of broadcasts at the same time.

For example, I have it record all college football games then later decide which ones I want to watch. On a day like yesterday, it will record around 20 games. I do the same with NFL games.

I was an early and long-time adopter of TiVo, but this is lightyears better.

^^^^ YouTube TV also has a sh!t ton of ready to watch movie selections like Netlifx.

We just got the Verizon Home 5G internet and we love it so far. We have our phone plans with them already, so the home internet is only $25 a month. Already a lot faster than Cox and much much cheaper.

Will someone that has this please run a speed test so I can compare up and down times with Cox?

Here you go:

Are you kidding me? 11.3 down? DSL is 6 Mbps. And the person that said it is faster than Cox, I currently get 560-570 Mbps down on the PC connected directly to the modem and 275 on my devices connected on Wifi.

^

The speed depends on their network traffic, and it's usually at its worst in the mornings.

As I've said, I've had almost no problems streaming or doing heavy-duty work on the internet.

I just ran the test again on my Macbook which is way faster than my PC for some reason..

151/16 then 138/18.

If your PC is consistently slower than the Mac and other things you might want to make sure its set to use the 5 GHz wifi rather than the 2.4 GHz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	17650

Here are my results with Verizon. Canceled Cox today

The download and upload speeds look fine, but if you were wanting to game or use VOIP the ping is what's going to cause you an issue.

I've had ATT fiber for about 3 years and have had zero issues. Only downtime has been during power outages.

I have nothing directly connected to the modem/router but my wifi averages 300+ up and down and the morning is the fastest sometimes getting over 500 up and down on wifi

the first year was $75 and now it is $100 a month

I have T-Mobile for my cell phone and had no clue they had home internet.

I work at a network operations center and the companies network has two fiber lines, one with ATT and one with COX. My home wifi is faster but like I said I work at a NOC and it is running an entire companies computer network

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	updown.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	17653

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Am a 19 yr. T-Mobile customer and am looking at trying their home Internet service. Has anyone tried it and what do you think? Would like to possibly cut all cords (I also have a long-time landline) with Cox and use YouTube TV as well.
    I'm pretty happy with T-mobile so far. The speed has been great. We've streamed three 4K movies, played a game, and browsed the web all at the same time with no decrease in speed. Here's the speed I am getting but I have seen it as high as 600 down. It depends on the time of day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speedtest-by-Ookla-The-Global-Broadband-Speed-Test.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	17662  

I just switched from ATT to T-Mobile. Seems fine so far. I didn't have fiber w/ ATT, so the speeds are comparable.

I finally had to cancel T-Mobile home internet.

I get a good connection (4 bars) but there are evenings when I can't even load the Google page. Meaning, I'm left completely without internet or TV (I use and love YoutubeTV).

It seems it's all due to high traffic and I've tried everything including moving the cellular modem into a window in all four exposures. I suspect they are just getting too many subscribers in my area, both phones and home.

Reluctantly, I'm heading back to Cox. For some odd reason AT&T is not available on my cul-de-sac but is all around us.

I made the switch a couple months ago. Once I had my router pointed currently, I haven't had an issue.

My T-Mobile service started fine but became progressively worse with time.

I started getting slow-downs on the weekends. Then evenings. I moved the modem around. I reset it many times. I reset my computer many times.

Now, there are big blocks of time I can't get any service at all.

I may try them again or something similar down the road. But for now this doesn't work for me.

I'm guessing it largely depends on the usage in your area and what towers you are using, I'm the only wifi user in my house hold, too.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I'm guessing it largely depends on the usage in your area and what towers you are using, I'm the only wifi user in my house hold, too.
    I'm sure you're right.

There are some apartments close by and that's probably why I'm having an issue.

Thread Information