Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dado's Pizza

Default Re: Dado's Pizza

Pizza by slice in NY is only cheese and pepperoni, they go through slices so fast you normally can get fresh slices out of the oven. I don't think OKC could ever support a true by the slice operation because we don't have foot traffic, period. Dado's wins out over all places simply because they have the NY water maker. No other pizza place in OKC can obtain the consistency or flavor that Dado's has. They literally could bake up their dough with nothing on it and it would still be just as good as any slice from Empire. Their carry out business must be strong because we went about 2 weeks ago and the wait for a whole pie was 45 minutes, so we just got slices and garlic knots.

Now, if Empire or Papa Angelos were to install the NY water maker system, then Dado's would need to step up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Pizza by slice in NY is only cheese and pepperoni, they go through slices so fast you normally can get fresh slices out of the oven. I don't think OKC could ever support a true by the slice operation because we don't have foot traffic, period. Dado's wins out over all places simply because they have the NY water maker. No other pizza place in OKC can obtain the consistency or flavor that Dado's has. They literally could bake up their dough with nothing on it and it would still be just as good as any slice from Empire. Their carry out business must be strong because we went about 2 weeks ago and the wait for a whole pie was 45 minutes, so we just got slices and garlic knots.

Now, if Empire or Papa Angelos were to install the NY water maker system, then Dado's would need to step up their game.
    The crust (and sauce) were delicious! Some of the best I've ever eaten. Next time I'll just get a cheese slice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    Is it expected they should have more than a couple of options for slices? Especially if the pizza is sitting out long enough to taste old that's only going to get worse if they have more pizzas sitting out.
    They are set up for at least six pizzas available by the slice and I've seen at least six in the cabinet, both in person and in photos online. It may just be a matter of not enough by the slice volume to justify that many offerings.

They were out of pepperoni slices last night (fairly early in the evening) which, in my view, is a bit of a cardinal sin for a pizza hut.

Tried the white and Margherita. Both were pretty f’ing good, although not demonstrably better than Empire imo. Would be very curious to taste stock empire vs empire made with nyc water.

I've stated before that I don't like pizza by the slice because it is so rarely fresh. This may just be a function of Oklahoma City where they aren't selling enough (and/or trying to provide too many options) to get a slice straight out of the oven.

It sits out under heat lamps and then they cook it again to heat it up. Really dries out the pizza and it often isn't very good.

I'd rather have fresh good pizza than anything reheated. I don't like any sort of buffet for the same reason.

The flavor of the pizza I had was good, but the crust required so much chewing it actually made my jaw hurt. I will definitely give them a 2nd/3rd/4th try, but I've never had a slice that "bad" from Empire. It was still better than most fast food pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I stopped in today for a slice of pizza and was disappointed. This was my third trip and every time they have had some issue that impacts what they are able to offer. My favorite pizza is Margharita and all they had for slices was cheese, pepperoni and sausage/green pepper. I asked if more choices were coming out soon and was told they were short handed and those were the only three choices they were going to have. I ordered the sausage/green pepper and even though it was the first slice out of the pizza AND he stuck in the oven for a few seconds, it was still like eating pretty old pizza. There was very little to the toppings, maybe one whole piece of sausage and a few crumbles here and there. The edge of the crust was delicious, as was the sauce, but overall, it was disappointing.

There seems to be potential there, but in all three times I've visited, they've failed to really deliver on that potential.

Good on you to give it multiple chances. The topping discrepancy has me hesitant until I see photos on photos of sufficient toppings

We finally tried it last night, got a 1/2 margerhita w/pepperoni added and 1/2 white pie. The margerhita was pretty good, the white pie needed some work IMO. Overall we thought it was good, not great, was hoping it would be better honestly. I'm sure we'll give it another try at some point but would not rank it in our top few spots for sure

I ordered 2 pizzas for the superbowl. One supreme and one pepperoni. There definitely was no discrepancy on toppings. Very different from when I got 2 slices. Glad they were able to work with me last minute

Got a slice of cheese and margherita and some wings. Wings were overcooked, sauce was about what I expected. The pizza was okay, but at that price point I would rather eat an Empire slice. Empire pizza when ordered extra crispy so it isn't too floppy is up there with any slice you can get at a good pizzeria in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Got a slice of cheese and margherita and some wings. Wings were overcooked, sauce was about what I expected. The pizza was okay, but at that price point I would rather eat an Empire slice. Empire pizza when ordered extra crispy so it isn't too floppy is up there with any slice you can get at a good pizzeria in NYC.
    When was the last time you were in New York? I respect your opinion, but a good slice in NY absolutely blows empire out of the water. Not really in the same stratosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by CitySooner View Post
    When was the last time you were in New York? I respect your opinion, but a good slice in NY absolutely blows empire out of the water. Not really in the same stratosphere.
    Not necessarily. Portnoy wouldn’t have given Empire a 7.5 were your statement true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Not necessarily. Portnoy wouldn’t have given Empire a 7.5 were your statement true.
    I go to NYC fairly often. Was last there last summer. Have been going since about 1976. I can say that as good as Empire is, it wouldn't stand out in NYC area. There are any number of old ovens that can't be replicated elsewhere. Decades of using an oven is sort of like using the same heavy cast iron skillet to cook your steaks. Years of seasoning makes a difference. The few very old coal ovens are the best, but are disappearing.

So, getting Empire is great... my go to here, but if you get a chance go to NYC for a pie trip and see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Fair point, but one Portnoy review doesn't really do that much for me. Just have to see for yourself I guess. I know one thing - Dado's is closer to true NY style than Empire, at least in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I go to NYC fairly often. Was last there last summer. Have been going since about 1976. I can say that as good as Empire is, it wouldn't stand out in NYC area. There are any number of old ovens that can't be replicated elsewhere. Decades of using an oven is sort of like using the same heavy cast iron skillet to cook your steaks. Years of seasoning makes a difference. The few very old coal ovens are the best, but are disappearing.

So, getting Empire is great... my go to here, but if you get a chance go to NYC for a pie trip and see for yourself.
    Totally agree on the coal ovens part. My life was changed when I first tried John's of Bleecker.

I was born and raised in Manhattan and go back multiple times a year to visit family. I feel comfortable saying the majority of New Yorkers if given a slice that is extra crispy from Empire would say it is a good slice. Dados is absolute trash on the other hand and I can say that dead ass.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I was born and raised in Manhattan and go back multiple times a year to visit family. I feel comfortable saying the majority of New Yorkers if given a slice that is extra crispy from Empire would say it is a good slice. Dados is absolute trash on the other hand and I can say that dead ass.
    I wasn't saying Empire wasn't good. I think absolute trash is a little strong, but hey, to each his own.

People get so fired up about pizza! Love it.

My only trip to Dado's was quite good. We ordered a whole pie and it was delish.

I thought the crust was the most realistic interpretation of NYC crust I've had in OKC. I like Empire just fine, and I'll eat it in a pinch, but I usually feel bad after eating it. The crust has always been too filling. If they ever do get the crust right they could claim to be a legit NY slice joint.

Totally agree on the coal ovens part. My life was changed when I first tried John's of Bleecker.
    When did John's of Bleecker reopen? They were shut down indefinitely due to "extreme vermin" back in 2012. That's when I discovered Prince Street Pizza not far from there. Not coal fired, but they have photo's of just about everybody from the Soprano's enjoying their Soho Squares, including Gandolfini.

If you are lucky enough to get Dado's pepperoni right out of the oven it is excellent.

I wasn't saying Empire wasn't good. I think absolute trash is a little strong, but hey, to each his own.
    I wouldn’t take it to heart, citywok always gets really charged when others disagree with pretty much anything they say. I’m like you and others, I think Empire is great for this region, but of the pizza places I’ve been to in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Empire would be most notable for the vibes. Their pizza is a solid 7 out of 10 but I’ve gotten slices while rushing around Midtown late at night that I thought were better than Empire.

I haven’t tried Dado’s yet but I will next time I think to, given all the emotions that have been displayed about it in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I wouldn’t take it to heart, citywok always gets really charged when others disagree with pretty much anything they say. I’m like you and others, I think Empire is great for this region, but of the pizza places I’ve been to in Brooklyn and Manhattan, Empire would be most notable for the vibes. Their pizza is a solid 7 out of 10 but I’ve gotten slices while rushing around Midtown late at night that I thought were better than Empire.

I haven’t tried Dado’s yet but I will next time I think to, given all the emotions that have been displayed about it in this thread.
    Someone has to tell people when they get out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    When did John's of Bleecker reopen?
    I’m sure they were open well before, but they were at least open when we were there April of last year.

I am a fan of John's on Bleecker. Though the last two times I have been to Manhattan, I had to settle for John's on 42nd, which doesn't have the same "flavor" as the Bleecker spot.

I went to Dado's again today, for lunch, and they had cheese, pepperoni and Margherita by the slice. Normally, I love Margherita style, but it looked pretty sparse on toppings, so I got the pepperoni and was quite happy with it. I have a decent amount of exposure to good food from different genres, but pizza isn't one of them (I'm happy with Dominos), so my opinion is novice level, at best. But, I work in the area four days a week and it's a great way to grab a quick lunch. Definately worth the four dollars and change I paid.

So after all the hype I gave it a try. I went with the pepperoni. The crust had a lotta flop and did not give me the experience of eating a NY/NJ pie. The sauce was ok, nothing special. Pepperoni was very good. 28 bucks is more than this example of pizza should command in OKC.
    Looking at the Dado's NYC site, 28 is what they charge there. This isn't Manhatten.
    I prefer both Empire and Jet in Moore. They are the top NY style in this neck of the woods.

Thread Information