Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dado's Pizza

1. Default Re: Dado's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Empire is also a full service restaurant. Dado's does not appear to be.
    Understood. My apologies for getting those mixed up.

With that said, as a comparison, a large 20" pepperoni at Empire Slice Shop is $23 (in Nichols Hills) compared to $28 at Dado's. $28 is still considerably too much in my mind, but again, I hope they have great success and this genre of pizza can continue to expand in OKC.

Default Re: Dado's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    $4.50 for a huge slice of quality pizza is not a high price to pay.

A freaking Big Mac is now $6.89 in OKC.
    This ^

How’s the flop or lack thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How’s the flop or lack thereof?
    We need to get Portnoy in here to tell us and give a full review

Is it me or the pizza looks old in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Best post of the day.

Ah, a fellow person of culture I see!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Understood. My apologies for getting those mixed up.

With that said, as a comparison, a large 20" pepperoni at Empire Slice Shop is $23 (in Nichols Hills) compared to $28 at Dado's. $28 is still considerably too much in my mind, but again, I hope they have great success and this genre of pizza can continue to expand in OKC.
    LOL. Just got back from a trip to Italy. Pizzas of that size were generally $10-15. And they were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    Is it me or the pizza looks old in the picture?
    That’s how most NY “by the slice” shops work, they’ll premake pies and reheat the individual slices in the oven. Rare to get a cut from a fresh out of the oven pie unless it’s a peak time where slices are sold faster than they can cook them.

If you order a full pie they will make it fresh out of the oven for you. Looking forward to trying this next time I come
    To OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    LOL. Just got back from a trip to Italy. Pizzas of that size were generally $10-15. And they were great.
    That's due to the exchange rate as the dollar is very strong against the euro right now. I've been to Italy several times nothing was cheap compared to the U.S.

Besides, what on earth do prices in Italy have to do with Dados Pizza on N. May Avenue in Oklahoma City?

$28 initially strikes me as being a bit high. We order a 20" NY pizza at Fat Sully's in Colorado Springs every time we go and it's only $20.

Any reports on how long the line is this morning? I’m assuming they will be busy af today.

As for the prices, they look to be inline with Empire and other similarly situated pizza huts.

Any reports on how long the line is this morning? I’m assuming they will be busy af today.

As for the prices, they look to be inline with Empire and other similarly situated pizza huts.
    As posted above, they ran out of dough yesterday and are closed until Monday.

Looks like plenty of people don't have an issue with their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As posted above, they ran out of dough yesterday and are closed until Monday.

Looks like plenty of people don't have an issue with their prices.
    Prices are subjective. I think the pricing is high but if it is like Empire....it is worth it due to the quality of what you are getting. Apparently others agree. We love empire and get it often We order Dominos just as much as we don't always want to spend that much on pizza. when feeding a group. Also, these are enormous pizzas and when comparing...may not be that much more expense when looking at size. Similar to sometimes we go to Outback and sometimes we go to The Ranch. A Hyundai will get you from point a to point b just the same as a porsche and do it much cheaper but the experience won't be the same.

Can't wait to give it a try when the lines die down some.

Blog Entries

Excited to try it. It’s about 500 ft from my office. That might be dangerous. 😊

18. Default Re: Dado's Pizza

I stopped by yesterday, early afternoon and bought a plain cheese pie. Here’s my feedback. Whoever designed the kitchen/restaurant did an awful job. Workers were literally tripping over each other trying to get pizzas out. The pizza maker was crunched up against the oven with little room to move. Not a great layout for production flow. I would have put all the seating up front, turned the ovens 90 degrees and pushed it to the back so workers have room to produce. Now on to the pie. I’ve lived in NY and spent a lot of time in the city and upstate and had plenty of NY pies. For the pie I got I would give that pie maybe a 4 out of 10. Not something I would go out of my way for. Prices: 24.00 for a plain cheese pie and goes up from there which I think is rich based on what I received. I might try in another 6 months. Anyway, my 2 cents.

They are open today and not busy, but only selling cheese and pepperoni slices on " training dough". I enjoyed my cheese but wife's pepperoni was burnt so bad all you could taste was char. It was right out of the oven and the first slice. Will not hold it against them, given the circumstances, and will go back.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverFrecker View Post
    I stopped by yesterday, early afternoon and bought a plain cheese pie. Here’s my feedback. Whoever designed the kitchen/restaurant did an awful job. Workers were literally tripping over each other trying to get pizzas out. The pizza maker was crunched up against the oven with little room to move. Not a great layout for production flow. I would have put all the seating up front, turned the ovens 90 degrees and pushed it to the back so workers have room to produce. Now on to the pie. I’ve lived in NY and spent a lot of time in the city and upstate and had plenty of NY pies. For the pie I got I would give that pie maybe a 4 out of 10. Not something I would go out of my way for. Prices: 24.00 for a plain cheese pie and goes up from there which I think is rich based on what I received. I might try in another 6 months. Anyway, my 2 cents.
    It sounds that you have street cred discussing this cuisine. Thanks for the insights and review.

I stopped by. The base pizza itself I thought was better than the likes of whats available here (empire and rendezvous), but their topping game could use some improvement. You don't get a lot and what you do get I think could be better. HOping I went on an off day cause I've seen pictures that looked better than what I got. I ordered a slice of margherita and pepperoni, and the person I went with got a beef patty and mentioned the beef was actually seasoned!

Something I also just remembered, they were on limited supply and some they were only selling the whole pie.

We ordered take out tonight Large pepperoni, wings and garlic knots. Garlic knots were very good with a lot of garlic on them The wings were very similar to naked baked wings would would get at any pizza place running wings through the pizza oven. Cooked perfectly, no seasoning and the blue cheese had been watered down to point it didn't have any flavor. With the addition of maybe a sauce or seasoning or at least a blue cheese dressing not watered down....the wings have potential as they were cooked perfectly.

The pepperoni pizza had a great crust that was crispy and held up to the large slice. Seemed to good from crispy bottom to the sauce without really any soft crust between. My wife and I both commented on the the great flavor but thought is seemed too thin. Good hearty sauce and good pepperoni. Toppings were a little thin for the price point but good quality.
    The general consensus from the four of us. (two college kids M/F and me and the missus) was that we enjoyed the pizza and would go again but....we all preferred Empire as it seemed more substantial. For lack of better description....it just seemed very thin overall to all of us but had great flavor.

I was of the teeming hundreds who visited on the first day. The two slices of pepperoni I got were fantastic, with the water apparently doing its job. They were bombed, and that led there to be no diet soda in the soda fountain, which didn't have Diet Pepsi anyway, only regular. Not an important detail as far as pizza quality, but I wish it was available. My friend and I ordered a beer, and he had to request that the three inch head in the red Solo cup be corrected for his; that there be a little less foam from the hasty pour. Mine was poured slower. The house lager is otherwise very good.

I stopped in today for a slice of pizza and was disappointed. This was my third trip and every time they have had some issue that impacts what they are able to offer. My favorite pizza is Margharita and all they had for slices was cheese, pepperoni and sausage/green pepper. I asked if more choices were coming out soon and was told they were short handed and those were the only three choices they were going to have. I ordered the sausage/green pepper and even though it was the first slice out of the pizza AND he stuck in the oven for a few seconds, it was still like eating pretty old pizza. There was very little to the toppings, maybe one whole piece of sausage and a few crumbles here and there. The edge of the crust was delicious, as was the sauce, but overall, it was disappointing.

There seems to be potential there, but in all three times I've visited, they've failed to really deliver on that potential.

Is it expected they should have more than a couple of options for slices? Especially if the pizza is sitting out long enough to taste old that's only going to get worse if they have more pizzas sitting out.

Thread Information