Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen of England

Default Queen of England

Queen Elizabeth II has died at Balmoral. Pretty big deal. May she Rest In Peace.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61585886...medium=custom7

Default Re: Queen of England

It’s crazy to think about everything and everyone that has come and gone since she took the throne.

Churchill was the PM, Hoover was President and Stalin was in power.

And for the first time in many of our lifetimes there is now a King of England, Charles III. And will be for the foreseeable future.

The UK needs to abolish the royal family like france did in 1792

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    And for the first time in many of our lifetimes there is now a King of England, Charles III. And will be for the foreseeable future.
    i mean he is 73... so we won't be for the foreseeable future, if that is what you are saying, but yes, a King on the throne for the next few generations.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    It’s crazy to think about everything and everyone that has come and gone since she took the throne.

Churchill was the PM, Hoover was President and Stalin was in power.
    While possibly exceeding the powsr of POTUS, J. Edgar was not the president(jk).
    Truman was the POTUS then.

Mods this thread should be moved to the obit thread

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    The UK needs to abolish the royal family like france did in 1792
    why

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    why
    $117,728,768.00 in taxpayer money. Sure the monarchy brings in more money but that money isn't going to the 90% just like the all time profits for billion dollar corporations in america and their executives aka the american oligarchs.

Just another way to exploit regular people. Just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i mean he is 73... so we won't be for the foreseeable future, if that is what you are saying, but yes, a King on the throne for the next few generations.
    That's what I meant. Charles > William > George

RIP. So will the Corgi's be replaced with King Charles Spaniels?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    While possibly exceeding the powsr of POTUS, J. Edgar was not the president(jk).

I think this person meant Herbert Hoover, who was a US president while the Queen was alive, although not while she was queen

yep you’re right. I was just repeating something I half heard on the news. Would’ve been Eisenhower.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    yep you’re right. I was just repeating something I half heard on the news. Would’ve been Eisenhower.
    I did say (just kidding) in my original post about J. Edgar.
    Liz took the throne 2-6-52
    Ike was sworn in 1-20-53.
    Truman was prez when she took the throne.

14. Default Re: Queen of England

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    Charles might be King for 20 to 25 years. Right now there are only sons in succession. So I'll never see another Queen. Amazing that Elizabeth II reigned for 70 years.

I did say (just kidding) in my original post about J. Edgar.
    Liz took the throne 2-6-52
    Ike was sworn in 1-20-53.
    Truman was prez when she took the throne.
    lol, I should stop history for today. I guess two of three isn’t bad

Here’s an interesting article about her: https://www.news9.com/story/631a7445...ng-of-oklahoma

What I found most impressive was that just about any app I had with notifications, including my ESPN app had something to say about the Queen's demise.

--surprised I didn't get notifications from my metronome app or the MS Office Paperclip guy. Y'all live under a rock?

I think the Queen would want us all to live the way she did, with free public housing, basic universal income, and full government health care.

-Manuel Aragorn

he isn't wrong

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    why
    I feel like I can't exceed the simplicity and elegance of my distant cousin Sam:

The institution of royalty in any form is an insult to the human race. - Notebook 1888

There never was a throne which did not represent a crime. - Mark Twain, a Biography

In my opinion keeping the royal family around just continues to glorify the past actions of the British Empire. There's no value in keeping these mascots to white colonialism.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480043EC-8FF0-423B-90C7-C8241920DEC2.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	17648
    Here’s French President Macron’s statement on the Queen, pretty moving….

The truth is that monarchs and other powerful figures have always been mocked and rightly so. The mainstream media of Britain will reflect the views of the ruling class throughout this period. But their opinion is not the only legitimate one.

While the monarchy remains popular, largely because it is misunderstood as decorative and benign, other views also exist. And as long as there is unaccountable power, it will be subject to humour as a form of resistance. There’s truth to be found in that humour.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I feel like I can't exceed the simplicity and elegance of my distant cousin Sam:

The institution of royalty in any form is an insult to the human race. - Notebook 1888

There never was a throne which did not represent a crime. - Mark Twain, a Biography

In my opinion keeping the royal family around just continues to glorify the past actions of the British Empire. There's no value in keeping these mascots to white colonialism.
    LOL but tell us how you really feel?

I think the monarchy is a cool tradition in the UK and is part of what makes it unique to most other countries at this point. I think it's moved far beyond the history tradition of "white colonialism" though it shouldn't be taken for granted that, as much as it sucked for the Native American tribes that were here, their colonialism is the only reason our country exists. (And is "white colonialism" somehow worse than Hispanic colonialism or that of any other race that has colonized other lands? Maybe just stick to "colonialism" since those doing the colonizing were major a**holes no matter the race).

While it's not perfect the royal family does do a lot of good in the UK and elsewhere and it's actual power is pretty limited. I wouldn't want there to be any kind of monarchy here but if the majority of the British people are happy with it and want it in place, I have no problem with it. Their country, their deal.

Yeah I don’t see any issue with keeping the Royal Family. People can change. The US and many of its values and symbols were in place when we did some pretty bad things. We can move on, admit our wrongs, and do our best the right them just like GB can without abolishing the Royal Family.

I guess humans are masochists that will always be destined to live in dystopian societies because Monarchies, Oligarchies, plutocracies and kleptocracies create great suffering in all societies.

Does Britain really still operate that way? Do the people there have no control over who is elected and represented?

Thread Information