Widgets Magazine
Page 160 of 162 FirstFirst ... 60110155156157158159160161162 LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 4030

Thread: New Downtown Arena

Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Thought we’d at least have a location announcement by now.
    I doubt we know anything before 4Q 2024, at the earliest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I doubt we know anything before 4Q 2024, at the earliest.
    You're probably right.

Just can't understand what the hold up might be. The Cox PSM site (if selected) needs to be prepped for building the new arena. Those 4 square blocks will allow enough room to build something big, bold and beautiful. Possibly add more exhibition space to back up our new convention center complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    You're probably right.

Just can't understand what the hold up might be. The Cox PSM site (if selected) needs to be prepped for building the new arena. Those 4 square blocks will allow enough room to build something big, bold and beautiful. Possibly add more exhibition space to back up our new convention center complex.
    They can't really do anything substantial anyway until the studio is out.

There is no reason for them to announce the site because they already own it (Myriad/Cox Center/Prairie Surf).

Notice has already been given to Prairie Surf and I'm sure they are working on an RFP for the site, and there are only two real players: HOK and Populous.

They have the MAPS 4 money being reallocated from proposed improvements to Paycom and of course the billion $ funding plan has already been approved.

You would think the RFP would be the next big step, because they are going to want to start work the minute Prairie Surf's lease expires 12/31/25, if not before. The stated goal is to be open and operating before the end of the decade.

5. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

There won’t be a location announcement. The location will be confirmed via site plans and construction drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    There won’t be a location announcement. The location will be confirmed via site plans and construction drawings.
    So pretty much an “announcement”

7. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

No..?

Will they receive approval from the FAA?

9. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Lol

10. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is no reason for them to announce the site because they already own it (Myriad/Cox Center/Prairie Surf).

Notice has already been given to Prairie Surf and I'm sure they are working on an RFP for the site, and there are only two real players: HOK and Populous.

They have the MAPS 4 money being reallocated from proposed improvements to Paycom and of course the billion $ funding plan has already been approved.

You would think the RFP would be the next big step, because they are going to want to start work the minute Prairie Surf's lease expires 12/31/25, if not before. The stated goal is to be open and operating before the end of the decade.
    slight correction: Prarie Surf's lease expires 12/31/2024. Right?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

No..?
    Once the location is confirmed, I would think that someone will report on it and let the people know the location.

No..?
    Double post
    Last edited by soonermike81; 03-22-2024 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    slight correction: Prarie Surf's lease expires 12/31/2024. Right?
    Quote from article -

Freeman intends to place a resolution on the Dec. 19th city council agenda that will provide notice to the Cox Convention Center's tenants, Prairie Surf Media, that the city will not be extending its lease.

The current lease between the city and Prairie Surf Media ends in December 2025.

This seems like a ketchup vs catsup argument. lol

I think everyone should just assume its at the Cox unless there is some kind of 'location announcement' saying otherwise. That would be a bigger announcement if the city has to enter some kind of land purchase or swap deal.

15. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

It is the Cox Center/PSM location. There is no question at this point. Trust me on this.

It is the Cox Center/PSM location. There is no question at this point. Trust me on this.
    Any idea when a timeframe for plans being released ? I'd say 15 to 18 months ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Any idea when a timeframe for plans being released ? I'd say 15 to 18 months ?
    Somewhere along the line, it was stated that the plans would take 18 months to 2 years.

So, to be ready to go by 12/31/25 (the end of the PSM's lease) the RFP for an architect would need to go out very soon.

18. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

thank you for the correction on the lease end.

Is waiting so long for the lease end in the best interest for the city/team or is this a good thing in that we don't need to take on so much debt in waiting and perhaps rates might be lower after a regime change in Washington? I was thinking the sooner the better with regard to demolition and reconstruction scheduling in order to meet a 2029 deadline (with hard construction needing to finish in 2028 for that to happen).

In my mind there are 3 main tasks that need to happen with enough time to fit/fixture the arena in 2029 for an opening of the 2029-2030 NBA Season:
    1) demolition
    2) reconstruction of the parking foundation/connection to Bricktown Canal
    3) arena superstructure

I assume amenities like Thunder Alley and highrise development of the remainder of the site could be later. Anybody have any insight on what the timeline should be for the major steps to be completed to make the deadline?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Is waiting so long for the lease end in the best interest for the city/team or is this a good thing in that we don't need to take on so much debt in waiting and perhaps rates might be lower after a regime change in Washington? I was thinking the sooner the better with regard to demolition and reconstruction scheduling in order to meet a 2029 deadline (with hard construction needing to finish in 2028 for that to happen).

In my mind there are 3 main tasks that need to happen with enough time to fit/fixture the arena in 2029 for an opening of the 2029-2030 NBA Season:
    1) demolition
    3) arena superstructure

I assume amenities like Thunder Alley and highrise development of the remainder of the site could be later. Anybody have any insight on what the timeline should be for the major steps to be completed to make the deadline?
    I mean, the city is already paying 95% of the arena cost. Why should they have to pay extra to buyout PSM of their lease?

I mean, the city is already paying 95% of the arena cost. Why should they have to pay extra to buyout PSM of their lease?
    i mean it is the cities arena .. they own it ..

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Will they receive approval from the FAA?
    That made me laugh

Blog Entries

Forgot about the lease with PSM.

The city uses the 4-square PSM site, there will be plenty of room to add more amenities to the site. Agree with Hot Rod:

1) Demolition
    2) Reconstruction of the parking foundation/connection to Bricktown Canal
    3) Arena superstructure

Have confidence the city will get it correct this time. They know the deficiencies of our current Paycom Center; therefore, look for a competitive venue making OKC a top five NBA arena and the best small market arena (under 2 million MSA) better than Milwaukee (Fiserv) , Salt Lake City (Delta), Memphis (FedEx) and New Orleans (Smoothie King).

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i mean it is the cities arena .. they own it ..
    I know. As is the Cox Center. But they have a lease with someone to use it. They can't kick them out without paying them, before that lease expires. I don't want the city paying anymore than they will already have to for the arena. Just wait til 2026 to start demolition, if they are going to build it here. Don't pay PSM a freaking dime to leave early.

But I agree on the 3 steps needed. Just starting in 2026

1) demolition
    3) arena superstructure

The longer they wait, the cheaper it will be to break the lease and hopefully PSM will be ready to move within a year. It hurts them when securing movie contracts.

I know. As is the Cox Center. But they have a lease with someone to use it. They can't kick them out without paying them, before that lease expires. I don't want the city paying anymore than they will already have to for the arena. Just wait til 2026 to start demolition, if they are going to build it here. Don't pay PSM a freaking dime to leave early.

But I agree on the 3 steps needed. Just starting in 2026
    Cost-benefit analysis - if it will cost less in the long run and be better for the project, then they should buy Prairie Surf out. I'm sure the big brains have already done the math on that...

Thread Information