Widgets Magazine
Page 159 of 162 FirstFirst ... 59109154155156157158159160161162 LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 4030

Thread: New Downtown Arena

1. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The issue isn’t with Amtrak - which leases the track on which it operates AND the depot - but with BNSF, which owns the track.
    ^^
    Of course .....

2. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Was just in a conversation with someone who went on a tour inside of Prairie Surf Media. The way they were marketing the place for new productions made it sound like it will be there for a long time. Not sure if this means anything at all, but it seems the city really likes the amount of money that Prairie Surf is bringing in to the downtown area.

Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Was just in a conversation with someone who went on a tour inside of Prairie Surf Media. The way they were marketing the place for new productions made it sound like it will be there for a long time. Not sure if this means anything at all, but it seems the city really likes the amount of money that Prairie Surf is bringing in to the downtown area.
    At the very latest, they have to be out when their base lease ends Dec 31, 2025. The City has already given them formal notice.

PSM is very good at PR and marketing.

They have been looking around for a new spot but I don't think they have anything yet. I know they've been talking to Strawberry Fields but I'm sure they realize that is now a longshot, especially to be ready by January of 2026, which is less than two years now.

Yeah, there is not a scenario where Cox doesn't get demolished. Either the Arena goes there or the city demolishes it for the new land owners as part of a land swap deal.

5. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Lots of surveyors around the Cox Center today. Not sure what they are doing, but they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Choctaw and Guthrie are still peaceful, I believe, and not too far from OKC.
    Yeah we are considering out towards Choctaw. We found a nice 275-acre parcel we're thinking of putting an offer on.

Good article

Mussatto: Why Oklahoma City, despite new arena plan, is far from hosting NBA All-Star Game

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...r/72673926007/

There are 159 pages on this thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed, but talking about Arena design.. I LOVE the Tennessee Titians new Stadium design. I think the COX site is big enough to do something like this, but obviously it would need to be smaller since this is a Football Stadium rendering, but I LOVE the design!

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    There are 159 pages on this thread so forgive me if this has already been discussed, but talking about Arena design.. I LOVE the Tennessee Titians new Stadium design. I think the COX site is big enough to do something like this, but obviously it would need to be smaller since this is a Football Stadium rendering, but I LOVE the design!

Looks really cool. Kansas City also recently released their renderings for their downtown ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Looks really cool. Kansas City also recently released their renderings for their downtown ballpark.
    Kaufmann Stadium opened 50 years ago, while I am a fan of how the Truman Sports Complex has worked over the years, the setup has certainly favored the Chiefs and Arrowhead, versus a baseball friendly venue. Both stadiums in KC allow the common fan a great experience.

Nissan Stadium on the other hand is the same age almost as Ford Center/Paycom Center, and was built specifically when the Oilers/Titans moved to Nashville from Houston. It's surprising that the lifespan of stadiums is getting shorter, yet more elaborate with each build. Nissan Stadium will be 28 years old when it gets demolished. The Georgia Dome and Ballpark in Arlington also had very short lifespans as arenas/stadiums. (Yes, I know the Ballpark in Arlington is still standing, but it's a very odd configuration for sporting events, and not a major league tenant)

I completely understand that Paycom Center was built bare bones to get it built on budget and we have adapted it as much as possible to serve the Thunder. However, hope the new arena can last 30+ years given the significant investment by citizens of the City.

https://youtu.be/mlIfKj6DnXA?si=6s2we3JDso4t-_Xj I hope the powers that be take a tour and take notes once this place is complete. If OKC can come close to this it’ll be a game-changer.

12. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Kaufmann Stadium opened 50 years ago, while I am a fan of how the Truman Sports Complex has worked over the years, the setup has certainly favored the Chiefs and Arrowhead, versus a baseball friendly venue. Both stadiums in KC allow the common fan a great experience.

The Georgia Dome and Ballpark in Arlington also had very short lifespans as arenas/stadiums. (Yes, I know the Ballpark in Arlington is still standing, but it's a very odd configuration for sporting events, and not a major league tenant)
    I don't know specifics of the Georgia Dome but there was nothing wrong with The Ballpark at Arlington except that it was outdoors. With the frequent day games before travel, playing outdoors in at The Ballpark in Arlington was not reasonable. I can attest to trying to watch games in 105 to 115 degrees and it was awful. This was the main reason for building the new dome.

13. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I don't know specifics of the Georgia Dome but there was nothing wrong with The Ballpark at Arlington except that it was outdoors. With the frequent day games before travel, playing outdoors in at The Ballpark in Arlington was not reasonable. I can attest to trying to watch games in 105 to 115 degrees and it was awful. This was the main reason for building the new dome.
    I actually miss the days of melting into the seats watching the Rangers. My childhood

14. Default Re: New Downtown Arena

I DON'T miss burning myself on frying pan hot seats.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: New Downtown Arena

We're all waiting on the 'explosion' that will reveal some semblance of the new downtown arena. The $900 million budget should build OKC something that will turn heads around--if we improve on the exterior facade and interior square footage.

It's going to be just as impactful as when Larry Nichols revealed the Devon Tower shown next to First National Center.

Pete, we're looking forward to your excellent Indepth reporting.

This thought just popped into my head. So Paycom has a 15-year deal for the naming rights to the arena and when this one opens it'll be only on year 8-ish? Will the name be transferred to the new arena or will they terminate the contract somehow?

Discussed upthread. Paycom will retain naming rights to whichever arena is in use by Thunder.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Downtown Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    Discussed upthread. Paycom will retain naming rights to whichever arena is in use by Thunder.

KFOR 4 - 15 seconds into Tanner DeLeon reports, he says the city is in the beginning stages--not giving the new arena a name yet . . .

. . . You would think they would give Paycom the option of moving the name from the current arena to the new arena.

IIRC this aired two month ago, last week in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

KFOR 4 - 15 seconds into Tanner DeLeon reports, he says the city is in the beginning stages--not giving the new arena a name yet . . .

. . . You would think they would give Paycom the option of moving the name from the current arena to the new arena.

IIRC this aired two month ago, last week in December.
    They wouldn't be able to confirm that at this time because the agreement on who has naming rights has not been signed. It will most likely be left with the Thunder and they would likely keep Paycom through the end of that agreement.

Gonna be a long year or so til we see preliminary designs.

Hopefully they come sooner, but given a roughly 2 year construction process, and a 2029 projected opening, 2025 for designs, 1.5 or 2 to get site ready, then 2 year construction, 2025 seems right.

Saw this in one of my Thunder fan groups.

"Hello all,

I am a student at the University of Oklahoma and am part of a group for a class that is tasked with doing a research project for the Oklahoma City Thunder. While we are not directly affiliated with the Thunder, we will be presenting our findings to members of the Oklahoma City Thunder at the end of April.

As a part of our research project, we are required to develop a survey to help with our analysis. Our group’s theme is fan engagement and atmosphere in the new arena. Our survey is completely anonymous, only general demographic questions are asked. It should only take 5 minutes to complete and it will greatly help our group out in delivering findings and proposals to the Thunder themselves.

Your response could very well make a difference in the new arena!

Here is the link to the survey.

https://ousurvey.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...ngDjJfbAAZUznE

Thank you for your time and go Thunder!"

Don't know how close they are to the organization but I figured it might be cool to add our input here for the Thunder's office to see. Maybe they will take our input into consideration and we could see something cool added to the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by _Kyle View Post
    Saw this in one of my Thunder fan groups.

"Hello all,

I am a student at the University of Oklahoma and am part of a group for a class that is tasked with doing a research project for the Oklahoma City Thunder. While we are not directly affiliated with the Thunder, we will be presenting our findings to members of the Oklahoma City Thunder at the end of April.

As a part of our research project, we are required to develop a survey to help with our analysis. Our group’s theme is fan engagement and atmosphere in the new arena. Our survey is completely anonymous, only general demographic questions are asked. It should only take 5 minutes to complete and it will greatly help our group out in delivering findings and proposals to the Thunder themselves.

Your response could very well make a difference in the new arena!

Here is the link to the survey.

https://ousurvey.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...ngDjJfbAAZUznE

Thank you for your time and go Thunder!"

Don't know how close they are to the organization but I figured it might be cool to add our input here for the Thunder's office to see. Maybe they will take our input into consideration and we could see something cool added to the arena.
    it would do them well to proof read their questions before publishing the survey

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    it would do them well to proof read their questions before publishing the survey
    Yes, and have a box to check if you are retired.

I think they used a survey company. It's common with them to leave off a "retired" choice.

Thought we’d at least have a location announcement by now.

Thread Information