Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 162 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252671121 ... LastLast

Thread: New Downtown Arena

Default Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

In the not too distant future the next generation of Thunder fans will step in. Those 5 to 15 year-olds in 2005 are coming into their own and have been Thunder fans as long as they can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    That's fair. I mean, I suppose they have to do it because there wouldn't be much of an atmosphere without the music, and they need something to drown out all of the bad language used by players and coaches. I imagine that folks in the lower bowl would hear some pretty bad stuff but for the music.
    This is hilarious. I have on rare occasions had good seats. Once, I sat right behind Westrbrook's wife. I've never heard bad language from the coaches or players.

That being said, I hear F-bombs and more at an average OU football game from fans.

This is just a super weird comment.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This is hilarious. I have on rare occasions had good seats. Once, I sat right behind Westrbrook's wife. I've never heard bad language from the coaches or players.

That being said, I hear F-bombs and more at an average OU football game from fans.

This is just a super weird comment.
    Nice enough anecdote, but i’ll respectfully Disagree.

I hear foul language all the time at games (baseball, football, basketball) The sad part is I hear it more from the fans then the coaches and player.

In general it has become more socially acceptable to curse and use vulgar phrases. The times are changing. I can have a pretty foul mouth however I have always felt to use that depends on the setting and the company. At work we call it industrial language. A lot of people don’t filter anymore, though. A little more discretion would help everyone, I feel.

I have sat courtside a handful of times between the Thunder bench and the scorers table. The only cursing I ever heard was from fans when the ref made a bad call. The ref was right in front of me and the players would walk in front of me to check in to the game. For the most part, they were respectful and just talking. It's not a Malice at the Palace kind of thing every night.

They pump up the music to help create energy and atmosphere.

This is done at all sporting events now. It used to be at OU games, the only music was from the band and now it is blasted at any break in the action and in the pregame.

Go to any sporting event anywhere and constant, loud music is the norm and it has nothing to do with drowning out profanity.

I'm going to take a guess that approximately 99% of the profanity at sporting events comes from the fans.

Just to add on here: I've had the fortune to sit courtside a few times. There is absolutely cursing from the players during the game that is audible, but agree that vast majority comes from fans--and typically fans who've had too much to drink and are being belligerent for the sake of being belligerent. It's actually embarrassing and extremely annoying. The cursing from the players is more often than not when they get upset at a mistake they've made rather than out of anger at the ref or other player (unlike the fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They pump up the music to help create energy and atmosphere.

This is done at all sporting events now. It used to be at OU games, the only music was from the band and now it is blasted at any break in the action and in the pregame.

Go to any sporting event anywhere and constant, loud music is the norm and it has nothing to do with drowning out profanity.
    NCAA/Big 12 rules don't allow artificial noise or the band to play when the ball is in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
    NCAA/Big 12 rules don't allow artificial noise or the band to play when the ball is in play.
    That's why I said "pregame" and "break in play".

I'm curious as to the timing of the new arena announcement. I didn't think they would be doing this much legwork (design, for example) without a budget. Unless they are farther along than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I'm curious as to the timing of the new arena announcement. I didn't think they would be doing this much legwork (design, for example) without a budget. Unless they are farther along than I thought.
    they are very very far along i think you can expect renderings at the late summer announcement

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they are very very far along i think you can expect renderings at the late summer announcement
    Right.

I think everything is pretty much done, they are just waiting for the right time to start their PR announcement and campaign.

This is all very calculated: One year ago, the mayor formally addresses the need for the new arena; yesterday, he is more emphatic and starts talking about the source of funds and timing; in a month or two they will reveal all the details; a big PR campaign will start right afterward; vote in December; once approved the final plans can be drawn; work starts around 2025/26 with completion before the end of 2029.

Right.

I think everything is pretty much done, they are just waiting for the right time to start their PR announcement and campaign.

This is all very calculated: One year ago, the mayor formally addresses the need for the new arena; yesterday, he is more emphatic and starts talking about the source of funds and timing; in a month or two they will reveal all the details; a big PR campaign will start right afterward; vote in December; once approved the final plans can be drawn; work starts around 2025/26 with completion before the end of 2029.
    If Holt gets this through, and I have no doubt he has the political ability and capital to do so, this will be his defining moment as mayor. Very exciting times for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    If Holt gets this through, and I have no doubt he has the political ability and capital to do so, this will be his defining moment as mayor. Very exciting times for the city.
    He is also very heavily involved (due to his relationship with former LA mayor Eric Garcetti) in landing the Olympic events. I'm 99% certain that at least the whitewater events are a done deal.

The new arena plans and the firm plans for the Olympics should both be formally announced in the next several months.

He is also very heavily involved (due to his relationship with former LA mayor Eric Garcetti) in landing the Olympic events. I'm 99% certain that at least the whitewater events are a done deal.

The new arena plans and the firm plans for the Olympics should both be formally announced in the next several months.
    and with an extension signed with the Thunder and new arena along with the Olympics has a chance to see further investments into Downtown/Bricktown/Lower Bricktown, and so much more. The ROI from the Cities investment in the new arena will be surpassed 10 fold.

How big do we think the voting margin will be? 55-45 at least?

I'm thinking closer to 66%-33%

20. Default Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

Holt was on the Animal this morning. He said he expects 25 to 33 percent to vote no because they vote no for everything. 33 percent are expected to vote yes. And they need to campaign for the other 33ish percent.

Blog Entries

The Thunder at one time had a consistent base of fans from the Tulsa and Wichita areas. Those renewals were hit hard following The Covid-19 outbreak.

It may take time to build that base again.

A new arena would “exceed anything our residents have ever experienced,” Holt said. It also will be designed for basketball, unlike Paycom.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

This is how close the fans are to the court in a basketball specific arena as seen at Utah State University's Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.

Oklahoma City will have the NBA's only 'basketball specific' arena. The design has good sight lines and puts the fans right on top of the action.

A new arena would “exceed anything our residents have ever experienced,” Holt said. It also will be designed for basketball, unlike Paycom.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: New Oklahoma City arena development

Steve Lackmeyer pouring cold water on this starting before 2028/29.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Steve Lackmeyer pouring cold water on this starting before 2028/29.
    I'm not too sure what he really knows. If the vote was approved by the end of the year, design could be completed I'd think in a year which puts us sometime in early 2025. I could see it starting by 2026 or 2027 at the latest.

Thread Information