Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kickingbird Golf Course

1. Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

There IS a sidewalk on both the north and south sides of Danforth right there. I live right near the course.

Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    There IS a sidewalk on both the north and south sides of Danforth right there. I live right near the course.
    Sorry I meant Bryant. There is no sidewalk on the east side of Bryant. The sidewalks on Danforth need improvements as water and mud often collects and pools. They need to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Sorry I meant Bryant. There is no sidewalk on the east side of Bryant. The sidewalks on Danforth need improvements as water and mud often collects and pools. They need to fix that.
    No one really walks in Edmond.

Maybe tear up the sidewalks on one side and put in a bike path. The 10 year old me would have enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    No one really walks in Edmond.

Maybe tear up the sidewalks on one side and put in a bike path. The 10 year old me would have enjoyed that.
    You’re not wrong but ever since they added the paths along covell and Kelly I’ve noticed a lot more people there than before. We should at least show a little love to pedestrian infrastructure in the hopes it might encourage more people to use it. I know when I’m in town I live in Kickingbird and I’d love to be able to easily walk to this new bar and have a drink or a bite to eat.

You’re not wrong but ever since they added the paths along covell and Kelly I’ve noticed a lot more people there than before. We should at least show a little love to pedestrian infrastructure in the hopes it might encourage more people to use it. I know when I’m in town I live in Kickingbird and I’d love to be able to easily walk to this new bar and have a drink or a bite to eat.
    I'm afraid that development wise, that genie was out of the bottle long ago. Edmond has been designed in a decidedly pedestrian unfriendly way--strip malls with HUGE parking lots--everything spread out. Bike paths would make a lot more sense and would get some of these bikes which cause dangerous situations for themselves and drivers off the road. Most bike paths are pretty pedestrian friendly as they have lanes for passing.

To get to that bar right now, you'd have to walk maybe 1/2 a mile to get out of your neihgborhood, then cross wide and dangerous high traffic roads. With that distance, even if it's less than a mile, most folks are probably going to uber that. Bikes offer some real options for commuting and staying in shape. Edmond has a few nice bike paths, but there's nothing connecting them. Imagine being able to ride from Mitch to Arcadia without having to share the road with cars.

I see a ton of people running on those long sidewalks along section-line roads; far north OKC too.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm afraid that development wise, that genie was out of the bottle long ago. Edmond has been designed in a decidedly pedestrian unfriendly way--strip malls with HUGE parking lots--everything spread out. Bike paths would make a lot more sense and would get some of these bikes which cause dangerous situations for themselves and drivers off the road. Most bike paths are pretty pedestrian friendly as they have lanes for passing.

To get to that bar right now, you'd have to walk maybe 1/2 a mile to get out of your neihgborhood, then cross wide and dangerous high traffic roads. With that distance, even if it's less than a mile, most folks are probably going to uber that. Bikes offer some real options for commuting and staying in shape. Edmond has a few nice bike paths, but there's nothing connecting them. Imagine being able to ride from Mitch to Arcadia without having to share the road with cars.
    See for me, I live right in the middle of that neighborhood. So yes it’d be a nice little walk which all the reason why a crosswalk in between Bryant and Coltrane would be great for danforth. They also need to do something to slow traffic down and preferably add a roundabout at the Faircloud entrance but that’ll never happen. People haul ass on that street and I’ve almost gotten into several wrecks and it seems like I hear about one happening every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I see a ton of people running on those long sidewalks along section-line roads; far north OKC too.
    They do as well on the rebuilt sections of covell with the new paths. It shows if you build the infrastructure people will use it.

They do as well on the rebuilt sections of covell with the new paths. It shows if you build the infrastructure people will use it.
    Yes, I see people running and walking along the wider sidewalks along Covell and Kelly too...BUT, these sidewalks are being used simply for recreation. (And there is nothing wrong with that!) The larger sidewalks, wide lanes on Covell, and general overall upkeep (mowed grass, flat pavement, wide crosswalks) makes it very friendly to runners and walkers.

Edmond, and the rest of Oklahoma City has commerce designed for vehicles. You are at a large disadvantage if you do not have access to reliable vehicle transportation. No one is walking from their house to Uptown Grocery or Pepperoni Grill along Covell.

There are pockets of pedestrian friendly access around OKC, and those areas seem to be in high demand. Recently, Edmond has and is doing everything it seems to capture high density housing close to its downtown and create a walkable area with a mix use of retail, food, and housing.

It has been mentioned before on OKCTalk, but there is growing movement to get away from the "Stroads" that we have built for the past 60 years that are neither great at vehicle or pedestrian movement.

Absolutely. I’m not suggesting walking or biking being an alternative for commuting purposes here. I’m sure some people do it likely not having a choice due circumstances.

11. Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

So…induced demand..?

12. Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

and it seems like I hear about one happening every month.
    Again, I live right there and I don't hear about these accidents. Sure, in the 14 years I have lived there, I have heard about accidents on this stretch of road, but it does not seem out of the ordinary. Now, I can agree with you that people do haul a** along this strength of Danforth as I walk along it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    So…induced demand..?
    Yes induced demand exists. I’m well aware of it. Doesn’t affect my opinion on freeway widenings in the slightest. I still enjoy those nice free flowing conditions on I-40 during rush hour 10 years after they widened it. Thank you ODOT for those extra lanes. When I first started driving I had the experience to drive the elevated highway before it was torn down. Traffic was much worse during rush hour. Now it isn’t.

Again, I live right there and I don't hear about these accidents. Sure, in the 14 years I have lived there, I have heard about accidents on this stretch of road, but it does not seem out of the ordinary. Now, I can agree with you that people do haul a** along this strength of Danforth as I walk along it every night.
    Well I don’t know what to tell you. They just had to replace the signage to faircloud after someone plowed into it. A week before that happened I personally witnessed a pretty gnarly wreck right in front of my eyes involving 3 cars/trucks. I remember a news story from one of the local channels about EPD doing saturation patrols on Danforth due to reckless driving complaints and accidents. I also remember during my years at Edmond north a higher schooler getting killed at one of the entrances along danforth.

Oh and I forgot to add, I was just speaking with a neighbor today asking how the club was and he mentioned how someone was doing 100+ as he was pulling out onto the Kickingbird entrance and damn near rear ended him almost losing control which id imagine left tire tracks if you want to check it out. We must be living in separate universes because everyone I know and talk to in this area all have agreed this section of the road is troublesome whenever the conversation comes up.

16. Default Re: Kickingbird Golf Course

Well I don’t know what to tell you. They just had to replace the signage to faircloud after someone plowed into it. A week before that happened I personally witnessed a pretty gnarly wreck right in front of my eyes involving 3 cars/trucks. I remember a news story from one of the local channels about EPD doing saturation patrols on Danforth due to reckless driving complaints and accidents. I also remember during my years at Edmond north a higher schooler getting killed at one of the entrances along danforth.
    Well, I am not attuned to stuff like this (police blotter fodder) as much, so perhaps you are right. Yes, the Faircloud accident took out their entrance flagpole and started a little fire, but that was last year sometime, not too, too recent. Anyway, I don't consider it particularly dangerous other than speeds being high.

Well, I am not attuned to stuff like this (police blotter fodder) as much, so perhaps you are right. Yes, the Faircloud accident took out their entrance flagpole and started a little fire, but that was last year sometime, not too, too recent. Anyway, I don't consider it particularly dangerous other than speeds being high.
    Fair enough. It’s been awhile since I’ve been back in town so it was recent to me at least.

That stretch of Danforth is so freaking dark at night. Especially in the winter time when it gets dark at 5:30 when there's still a lot of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    That stretch of Danforth is so freaking dark at night. Especially in the winter time when it gets dark at 5:30 when there's still a lot of traffic.
    They also planted all of those nice trees they’ll have to tear out when they need to widen the road.

They also planted all of those nice trees they’ll have to tear out when they need to widen the road.
    Danforth won't need to be widened for a long long long long time .. if ever

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Danforth won't need to be widened for a long long long long time .. if ever
    It will for turning lanes. The city has even expressed interested in 5 laning this particular section along with the section in front of Edmond North and 4 laning Danforth in other 2 lane areas. Again, this particular section has been looked at for widening to 5 lanes(2 each way with a single continuous middle turn lane) but it won’t happen for awhile.

2 each way with a single continuous middle turn lane)
    edmond doesn't want this set up for any road going forward ..

how is the Tahoma 31? I've heard a lot of good things about it but am curious how the ball plays off of it.

They’re planning it on Danforth.

This literally needs to happen on every main road in Edmond, unless you mean they need to expand it even further like Covell between Kelly and Broadway or 15th between Fretz and Santa Fe with a full divided median.

Traffic movement in Edmond is absolutely painful, and it doesn't have to be with some updated/widening of main corridors. The fact that Danforth at I-35 is still a two lane road with four way stops in a town of 100k! The other problem with Edmond roads are that they are consistently inconsistent.

Covell for a mile or two is wonderful, but heading west to Santa Fe it goes back to a two lane country road. 2nd Street works well around the Target/UCO/Bryant Square corridor, but after downtown Edmond heading west lacks turn lanes into multiple highly populated neighborhoods.

Thread Information