Widgets Magazine

Thread: The name Fairview in Oklahoma.

Default The name Fairview in Oklahoma.

What's the significance of the name Fairview, in Oklahoma. There's the town of Fairview, a street named Fairview in my neighborhood, a Fairview Elementary, and a Fairview Farm Boulevard on the north side.

2. Default Re: The name Fairview in Oklahoma.

I think it's just a nice-sounding generic name. Developers tend to use nondescript names like that because nobody's likely to object to it and reject buying property there because they don't like the name.

I used to live in a subdivision of Norman that had a Castlebay Street. Obviously there has never been a real castle or a bay in Norman (and even if you argue about that castle-styled building off of Lindsey or one of the bays off of Lake Thunderbird, it's nowhere near either of those). But it sounds pleasant, and that was enough to sell the dozen or so houses on it.

Default Re: The name Fairview in Oklahoma.

Researching small one room school houses in my area, I find names like Pleasant Valley. I think Fairview was the name of a number of one room school house. Just a nice sounding name.

Adam J. Bower, an early settler, named the town Fairview because of its scenic location in the Cimarron River valley east of the Glass (Gloss) Mountains

https://www.okhistory.org/publicatio...hp?entry=FA007

So the view was just fair.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Researching small one room school houses in my area, I find names like Pleasant Valley. I think Fairview was the name of a number of one room school house. Just a nice sounding name.
    Your post caught my eye because I went to a small one room schoolhouse (which could be divided into 2 rooms) called Pleasant Valley about 65 years ago. It was just NW of Norman.

Stillwater still has the old Pleasant Valley school house that was closed in 1941. It's restored with two outhouses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasa...ter,_Oklahoma)

"The town received its name from Adam Bower, an early settler, because of its scenic location along the Cimarron River."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairview,_Oklahoma

Thread Information