Widgets Magazine

Thread: Wasted Water?

Default Wasted Water?

Today, I had to drive through a cemetery in OKC. I was shocked to see a portion of the cemetery running sprinkler systems to keep certain grave area's green. I'm not talking public areas. I'm talking about actual grave sites. If they are using only well water -then that's their business but still seems wasteful. However, if they are using public water to keep a grave site green - that seems a bit excessive. No?

Default Re: Wasted Water?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Today, I had to drive through a cemetery in OKC. I was shocked to see a portion of the cemetery running sprinkler systems to keep certain grave area's green. I'm not talking public areas. I'm talking about actual grave sites. If they are using only well water -then that's their business but still seems wasteful. However, if they are using public water to keep a grave site green - that seems a bit excessive. No?
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    why?
    Uhm.....lake Hefner low water level for one. I guess a green gravesite is just as important has water to cook/wash/bathe.

4. Default Re: Wasted Water?

This would be a very touchy area. People can be very upset about loved ones graves not being properly maintained.

True. I guess people near lake Meade who wanted to keep their yards green as water levels dropped dramatically were touchy for a while too.

The Oncue off I-40 runs their sprinklers ever night. Even after all the rain we just had.

Uhm.....lake Hefner low water level for one. I guess a green gravesite is just as important has water to cook/wash/bathe.
    While it is below the preferred capacity, 92% normal capacity seems a bit early to throw around the word low.

Like I said in the Lake Hefner thread, the OKC Water department routinely comes by once a month and open a hydrant by my house and lets the water run down the street. Last time they ran the water for 2 hours. An open hydrant puts out a lot of water. If they are doing it by my house I'm sure they are doing it at other locations too.

True. I guess people near lake Meade who wanted to keep their yards green as water levels dropped dramatically were touchy for a while too.
    the water situation in Oklahoma and in the nevada/southern california could not be more different

The hydrant is open again this morning with water running down the street. Last time was August 17.

They are doing that to clear the lines.

Looks like a good job to have. He just sits in his truck while the water runs for 2 hours.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the water situation in Oklahoma and in the nevada/southern california could not be more different
    Stop being such a simpleton. You don’t wait until our situation deteriorates to such a point it matches Nevada’s to start implementing changes to conserve water.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Stop being such a simpleton. You don’t wait until our situation deteriorates to such a point it matches Nevada’s to start implementing changes to conserve water.
    lol at this post ..

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    This should be a universal concern. Being CONSERVative used to apply to the environment. CONSERVation of natural spaces, water systems, habitats, wildlife, and the ecosystem used to be something CONSERVatives fought for. Somehow this has been turned on its head as some sort of insanity and against "common sense". How exactly is this NOT CONSERVative to take precautions, have forethought, and take actions to prevent or avert emergencies? We know why. It does not fit into the mental gymnastics of the modern CONSERVative narrative.

Blog Entries

Las Vegas average rainfall: 4.18 inches
    Phoenix average rainfall: 7.22 inches
    Los Angeles average rainfall: 14.25 inches

Oklahoma City average rainfall: 36.39 inches
    Tulsa average rainfall: 40.96 inches

It's really not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Las Vegas average rainfall: 4.18 inches
    Phoenix average rainfall: 7.22 inches
    Los Angeles average rainfall: 14.25 inches

Oklahoma City average rainfall: 36.39 inches
    Tulsa average rainfall: 40.96 inches

It's really not the same.
    thank you

it is almost like having millions and millions of people moving into the middle of desert areas .. creates long term issues .. especially when the primary water supply comes 700 + miles away and Denver also continues to grow ..

this problem for Southern California/Nevada/Arizona is only 80 years in the making ....

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Like I said in the Lake Hefner thread, the OKC Water department routinely comes by once a month and open a hydrant by my house and lets the water run down the street. Last time they ran the water for 2 hours. An open hydrant puts out a lot of water. If they are doing it by my house I'm sure they are doing it at other locations too.
    This is done to flush out sediment from the system. The hydrants are even strategically installed to ensure they can flush out the lines (my BIL had to pay to have one installed when he built his house and extended the water lines - just for this purpose). They also do regular waterflow tests this way.

It's a water quality issue and needs to be done.

Thread Information