Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Harrison & NE 5th

Default Re: Harrison & NE 5th

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    Well if this is a "first look" at the plan, then I'd be bored with the low visual aesthetic of it all. They're looking to chop up a block and lay concrete for a multi-million dollar parking lot. The buildings come free with the parking lot, what a bargin!
    a good portion of that parking lot already exists ..

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the proposal for the smaller site:

I like the look of the new Flatiron building, but yeah it would be nice if that parking lot wasn't mostly just staying a parking lot. The brick is a much better look than the proposed cladding on their building across the street.

What is road access for this project going to look like for the main building? I sure hope it isn't off of Walnut... I can't wait to see people going south trying to make an unprotected left into that building. This whole area is in need of a severe traffic flow redesign or it is going to make an already unsafe area (for both pedestrians and cars) even worse.

They appear to be taking soil samples today on the larger undeveloped site

It looks like they are wanting to remove about 16 on-street parking spots along Harrison to add just 17 new surface lot spots. The plan also calls for 5(!) curb cuts. The smaller site proposal is unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I like the look of the new Flatiron building, but yeah it would be nice if that parking lot wasn't mostly just staying a parking lot. The brick is a much better look than the proposed cladding on their building across the street.
    They could mitigate this by continuing the street wall on the 2nd and 3rd floors. This would give the appearance that it is all one building instead of three little ones.

The parking lot itself is a non-starter. It doesn't even have proper internal flow. You would have to re-enter the street just to get from on side to the other...and 5 curb cuts in that small area - no way.

Here is a 7/11 in Orlando for an example of how to hide parking (or in this case, gas pumps).

https://earth.app.goo.gl/aGpw2Z

Kudos though for at least keeping the massing at the corners. Not that long ago a developer would have just plopped the building right in the center if the lot and then surround it by parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post

The parking lot itself is a non-starter. It doesn't even have proper internal flow. You would have to re-enter the street just to get from on side to the other...and 5 curb cuts in that small area - no way.
    the bottom (west) parking lot is the one the currently exists on the site and is for the building that already exists (i don't think it is even really a part of this new project) .. the new parking lot is for the new buildings .. they won't have crossover users ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the bottom (west) parking lot is the one the currently exists on the site and is for the building that already exists (i don't think it is even really a part of this new project) .. the new parking lot is for the new buildings .. they won't have crossover users ..
    They will have cross-over users if they see a vacant spot on the other side. Back when I was a City Planner we required parking lots that boarder each other to have an internal connection. We didn't want people driving back into the street just to go to the next parking lot.

Update:

Any updates on the start of this project?

11. Default Re: Harrison & NE 5th

Can't wait to see the video from the first person to climb or bike from the ground up to the peak of that giant triangle. :-)

Thread Information