Widgets Magazine

Thread: Hollies to Toby Keith's

1. Default Hollies to Toby Keith's

So Hollies was closed yesterday. It was not made public before then, but i do not know if the staff were told. Apparently it is owned by Hal Smith Restaurants. If you're not familiar with that company (i wasn't) well, they own a lot of really good places around town. They are converting Hollies into a Toby Keith's.

Well I'm definitely disappointed in this. Hollies was a nice place to get a nicer meal in Moore and seemed to be busy all the time. Toby Keith's food is nothing special. It's not bad or anything, but is it unique in Moore? I dont know that Hollie's really had much competition in Moore, to be honest.

The Hal Smith website has a place to leave comments, so i did express my opinions on the change. If you're so inclined, voice your support or displeasure accordingly.

Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Hollie's had fallen from grace. It was nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Hollie's was one of the few places you could say approached a "nice" restaurant in Moore, so for that reason I guess its a shame it is gone. But personally, my wife and I weren't big fans and of it at any point and if we wanted a "nice" dinner we'd head up to the city for something better.

Way back in the day, my wife and I did Toby Keith's in Bricktown pretty often. We'd share a plate of cheese fries for pretty cheap before or after a movie at Harkins. Lots of nice memories. Its been a long time since we've eaten there (and even longer since we were regular there) so I dunno if those cheese fries are any good anymore or if they would still be good in Moore, but if we still lived down there we'd probably have tried it out just for nostalgia purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So Hollies was closed yesterday. It was not made public before then, but i do not know if the staff were told. Apparently it is owned by Hal Smith Restaurants. If you're not familiar with that company (i wasn't) well, they own a lot of really good places around town. They are converting Hollies into a Toby Keith's.

Well I'm definitely disappointed in this. Hollies was a nice place to get a nicer meal in Moore and seemed to be busy all the time. Toby Keith's food is nothing special. It's not bad or anything, but is it unique in Moore? I dont know that Hollie's really had much competition in Moore, to be honest.

The Hal Smith website has a place to leave comments, so i did express my opinions on the change. If you're so inclined, voice your support or displeasure accordingly.
    It is pointless to leave comments since they are not going to listen to your comments, you really think they will listen to your comments and say "Sorry, we will bring Hollie's back open"?

5. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Quote Originally Posted by Boop View Post
    It is pointless to leave comments since they are not going to listen to your comments, you really think they will listen to your comments and say "Sorry, we will bring Hollie's back open"?
    The optimist in me thinks that if enough noise is made, they would realize that people still want Hollies over Toby Keith's. In reality, that's probably not going to happen. But making your voice be known (in a polite and productive way) is important in capitalism. Your dollars speak more volume by going there, or not.

The optimist in me thinks that if enough noise is made, they would realize that people still want Hollies over Toby Keith's. In reality, that's probably not going to happen. But making your voice be known (in a polite and productive way) is important in capitalism. Your dollars speak more volume by going there, or not.
    But the realistic realizes people have already spoken with their wallets (as you mentioned). HSG wouldn't make this switch if Hollies was doing well in Moore. This was a long time coming, not a snap reaction.

Randomly, I actually saw the Hollies sign being pulled on the turnpike towards Tulsa. Had no idea what it was until this thread.

Well, if you want Hollie's back, you can buy the Furrs restaurant next to Hollie's and build Hollie's

Well, if you want Hollie's back, you can buy the Furrs restaurant next to Hollie's and build Hollie's
    That's already becoming an Industry Gastro Lounge. Not sure if it was here or Facebook, but someone mentioned that was part of the reasoning behind the concept change was the Hal Smith group felt the Toby Keith's brand would compete better against Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrsports View Post
    That's already becoming an Industry Gastro Lounge. Not sure if it was here or Facebook, but someone mentioned that was part of the reasoning behind the concept change was the Hal Smith group felt the Toby Keith's brand would compete better against Industry.
    That is only because Toby is from Moore and the restaurant is in Moore so they think it would compete better

11. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

That is only because Toby is from Moore and the restaurant is in Moore so they think it would compete better
    Right, which i dont know that people in Moore really care that much about Toby Keith at this point.

But thanks Boop for that lovely comment about opening my own Hollies. That's reductive. And pardon me for wanting Moore to have something nicer than just a chicken fried steak joint. I rather enjoyed having a place i could go in Moore and get prime rib in a nice environment. I guess i'm a real crappy person for wanting things to be stepped up a bit from fried catfish platters.

12. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

I rather enjoyed having a place i could go in Moore and get prime rib in a nice environment. I guess i'm a real crappy person for wanting things to be stepped up a bit from fried catfish platters.
    Guessing you've never looked at a Toby's menu? You want prime rib in 10oz, 14oz, or on a sandwich?

In fact if you look at the menu for Hollie's and Toby's they are almost identical with the exception of the adjectives used for naming and the bologna sandwich.

https://tobykeithsbar.com/wp-content...522_V06web.pdf

https://www.zmenu.com/hollies-flatir...e-online-menu/

So is it just the name/environment you have a problem with?

Right, which i dont know that people in Moore really care that much about Toby Keith at this point.

But thanks Boop for that lovely comment about opening my own Hollies. That's reductive. And pardon me for wanting Moore to have something nicer than just a chicken fried steak joint. I rather enjoyed having a place i could go in Moore and get prime rib in a nice environment. I guess i'm a real crappy person for wanting things to be stepped up a bit from fried catfish platters.
    Tell me you haven't been to Toby Keith's without telling me you haven't been to Toby Keith's.

14. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Oh i've been there. I just wasn't impressed. It's a large open place with a wasted stage. But the food....just meh. Like anything in Bricktown, I had to pay to park and then walk over to it. I don't mind doing that because i know that's part of the experience of going somewhere in Bricktown. And yes, i realize i won't have to pay to park in Moore. But in short, yes I've been there and more than once.

Part of the draw for me at Hollies was the inside. It was very similar to Charleston's which will be Moore's next closest option for that type of meal now. Just means those dollars go to OKC instead of Moore.

15. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Part of the draw for me at Hollies was the inside. It was very similar to Charleston's which will be Moore's next closest option for that type of meal now. Just means those dollars go to OKC instead of Moore.
    It's not coincidence it was similar to Charlestons... Owned by the same group and... Yes an almost identical menu to Hollie's and Toby's.

https://charlestons.com/wp-content/u...22_v_01web.pdf

Have you been to Nosh?

Oh i've been there. I just wasn't impressed. It's a large open place with a wasted stage. But the food....just meh. Like anything in Bricktown, I had to pay to park and then walk over to it. I don't mind doing that because i know that's part of the experience of going somewhere in Bricktown. And yes, i realize i won't have to pay to park in Moore. But in short, yes I've been there and more than once.

Why did you pay to park for Toby Keith's?? They have a large parking lot, which is free if you are a patron of lower BT, plus there is the large free lot at Bass Pro.

17. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's not coincidence it was similar to Charlestons... Owned by the same group and... Yes an almost identical menu to Hollie's and Toby's.

https://charlestons.com/wp-content/u...22_v_01web.pdf

Have you been to Nosh?
    Yes, but only for an event so i dont think it was a fair evaluation, to be honest. I wasn't wowed but i also have to be careful with menus. I'm lactose intolerant so a lot of places are just off limits because of how they prepare foods. So at the event, i couldn't eat hardly anything they made.

Paddy-even the back lot is charged now, or at least was the last time i went. You can park much further out if you want or if you get luck and can find a space at Bass Pro. I wasn't planning on going to Toby's when i went either (part of a group) so it ended up being backwards for the payment. But like i said, when i go to bricktown, i just assume that parking is part of it.

Toby Keith's is now open -- photos from https://www.instagram.com/shellbackgeneralcontracting/.

19. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

Tear down some walls, open it up (and make it louder). Throw a couple of guitars on the wall. It's totally a Toby Keith's now right?

Well i dont hope it flops or anything, but i'm just not excited.

Saw them putting up the big guitar-shaped sign this morning.

21. Default Re: Hollies to Toby Keith's

I think its open. Bunch of cars there on Friday night.

My husband and I ate here last week. I had the brisket sandwich with okra and he had the ribs with fries. We both really enjoyed our meals and the service was great, but I do miss the coziness of Hollie's. It's just too open now for me.

Thread Information