Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Would this increase prop taxes across the whole city or just the parts that feed into OKCPS? If only the feeders I assume they are the only ones voting as well?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is funny only because OKC goes 5 miles further north ... and 11 miles further west then this location ... so not quite the "far end"
    It's the far northwest part of the school district. Neighborhoods even one mile north of here are in Deer Creek, and one mile west is Putnam City North.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    It's the far northwest part of the school district. Neighborhoods even one mile north of here are in Deer Creek, and one mile west is Putnam City North.
    that makes sense thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Would this increase prop taxes across the whole city or just the parts that feed into OKCPS? If only the feeders I assume they are the only ones voting as well?
    Only if you are within okc school districts

CHAMBER FORUM TO DISCUSS UPCOMING OKCPS BOND VOTE

During the October Chamber Forum on October 19, attendees will hear about the upcoming bond vote proposed by Oklahoma City Public Schools and the impact it will have on the district. You won’t want to miss this important discussion.

The luncheon will take place at Vast on the 50th floor. The cost to attend the August Chamber Forum is $40 for Chamber members and $50 for nonmembers. For updated information and speaker announcements, visit okcchamber.com/events.

The Chamber Forum series brings thought leaders together to discuss major initiatives, programs and current issues that impact Oklahoma City’s business climate, economy and community.

Special thanks to our Series Presenting Sponsor Cox Business and Series Corporate Sponsor ADG.
    - https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/eve...ack=super_blog

It's frustrating that no amount of money put into the schools will help with the teacher shortage and the amount of teachers leaving the state to get better paying jobs. in 2015, Oklahoma was 48th in the nation and is ranked 48th now. I googled it and couldn't find where we were in 2001 prior to the MAPS for Kids vote, but I would guess in the mid-40's range. I will be voting yes on this as I want the structures to be better and I don't mind spending money on schools, but the long term solution would be to pay teachers more. The issue with that is it is on the state level.

I read a book a few years ago called the public wealth of cities and they had an entire chapter of the book talking about education. The problem is education is a long term play. If the state all of a sudden turns around and wants to start paying teachers $20,000 more per year, it wouldn't make the schools better immediately. It would take a few years to work out who were good and bad teachers and get the right people in place. So, it would be about 3-4 years before you start seeing test scores go up. This would, in turn, bring more businesses to Oklahoma as the cost of living would still be low, but the education would be better for families, but our state government is so short sighted that they don't want to do that .

Rant over, sorry.

I already know several teachers who will likely quit if a certain someone is elected but I won’t say more than that due to the politics ban.

8. Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I already know several teachers who will likely quit if a certain someone is elected but I won’t say more than that due to the politics ban.
    There are others that can (and do) speak for you. There's a whole other thread that dives in to that. And yes, you are absolutely correct. Both S*itt and Walters.

10. Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

In the Channel 4 piece they did last night they mentioned that none of the money in this proposal actually goes towards improving academics. Just more infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    In the Channel 4 piece they did last night they mentioned that none of the money in this proposal actually goes towards improving academics. Just more infrastructure.
    That's because the academic side is a state issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    The 7th and 8th grade school is on Villa, and there's no way you could fit a high school (9-12) on that property. Back in the 80s it was a special ed school before the kids were mainstreamed. It's tiny.
    Have we heard where this new high school would be built. From the notes it doesn’t awar the 5-6 or 7-8 center located here will be going away. Are they planning to utilize the land around this for the high school. Or do they have some other area in mind?

If this all going to be located here, villa sure will be busy!

Just curious. I’m in process of looking for houses in Belle isle area so this has some impacts for me

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Have we heard where this new high school would be built. From the notes it doesn’t awar the 5-6 or 7-8 center located here will be going away. Are they planning to utilize the land around this for the high school. Or do they have some other area in mind?

If this all going to be located here, villa sure will be busy!

Just curious. I’m in process of looking for houses in Belle isle area so this has some impacts for me
    According to today's Oklahoman-site has not been determined. That is attributed to Superintendent Sean McDaniel

Wow part of this proposal includes demolishing the Capitol Hill High School. Major bummer if they go through with that.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/capito...ers-tear-down#

Well, crap, I didn't realize that was part of the proposal and now I'm torn on my vote ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wow part of this proposal includes demolishing the Capitol Hill High School. Major bummer if they go through with that.

https://okcfox.com/news/local/capito...ers-tear-down#
    Not a lot of hard facts about demolition of that school in the article, and it says "could" contribute to the demolition, so nothing is certain, it appears. Have to find some actual language that says "we will demolish CHHS if the bonds get issued" to make sure...

^^I thought it was pretty clear from Board Chair Paula Lewis's comment that "We need the land".

I want to vote yes, but I just don't believe that the answer is tearing down history - there has to be more creative solutions to attack our problems. I can understand demolishing certain parts of the property but that plan is not made clear. I can think of a million ways to spend $120M to get them what they need without demoing the main structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    ^^I thought it was pretty clear from Board Chair Paula Lewis's comment that "We need the land".

I want to vote yes, but I just don't believe that the answer is tearing down history - there has to be more creative solutions to attack our problems. I can understand demolishing certain parts of the property but that plan is not made clear. I can think of a million ways to spend $120M to get them what they need without demoing the main structure.
    This is in an Oklahoman article, so it's not a certainty that the school (Taft is also a demolition possibility) would be demolished (although in this city, there's about a 110% chance a historic building will want to be torn down by somebody and a pretty good chance of it actually happening):

"Should the $955 million bond issue pass, the district school board would decide in a matter of months whether to make major alterations — but preserve — the original building or tear down Capitol Hill and build anew. "

Are there other parcels of land in that immediate area that OKCPS could buy and build a new high school? Not to mention the athletic facilities, some of which look very new on the C.H. campus.

During the past round of re-building, U.S. Grant had enough room on the existing lot to build a new school while the old building continued to function as a school. Capital Hill doesn't appear to have that option.

If I had to choose between a nice, modern school for OKCPS students or remodeling an old building like C.H., which is basically like putting lipstick on a pig, I would choose a new building, regardless of the historical aspect of the existing building.

Blog Entries

What's sad, these building are no longer functional. It costs more to pay the utilities on these structures.

OKCPS didn't get all of the schools air conditioned until after MAPS for Kids was approved in 2001. Based on previous decisions the OKCPS district have made, eventually you're going to have to close Capitol Hill High School and the building will be bordered up--those students will be bused throughout the district.

Now we understand how alums feel about the buildings where they attended high school. It's time to move on, build a structure that is functional and more energy efficient (Like John Marshall, U.S. Grant and Douglass) or the building will be closed permanently.

The OKCPS district doesn't have a choice, these building are costing the district a ton of money to operate. If this bond doesn't pass, look for the district to try one more passage attempt--it will be understood that if the 2nd attempt doesn't pass, the students attending Capitol Hill and all the buildings identified that are not energy efficient will be closed and those students bused to other schools throughout the district. The newer schools (funded thru MAPS 4) will need to be expanded to accompany the new influx of students from permanently closed structures.

They did look at relocating U.S. Grant but stated they couldn't find an appropriate new location. I am opposed to tearing down Capitol Hill High School. There is additional land they might be able to acquire. There is a church and park on the other side of the senior center.

22. Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

I used to do a lot of work inside C.H. That was 20 years ago and it was a dump then. I don't know of any restoration projects since then so I imagine it's worse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    They did look at relocating U.S. Grant but stated they couldn't find an appropriate new location. I am opposed to tearing down Capitol Hill High School. There is additional land they might be able to acquire. There is a church and park on the other side of the senior center.
    Believe me, I understand your feelings--these building were apart of our growth from youth to adult and it's difficult to let go.

Would you prefer to see it bordered up (students relocated) to keep the vagrants out and possibly the South side area gangs that will make a haven from a bordered structure--with all kinds of illegal activities a bordered structure might present.

24. Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

^
    This. Perfect example is the school that was on S Penn & SW 23rd. It's exactly what Laramie is describing. Almost every time I drove by there police cars were around it. Plus fires were a common occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    What's sad, these building are no longer functional. It costs more to pay the utilities on these structures.

OKCPS didn't get all of the schools air conditioned until after MAPS for Kids was approved in 2001. Based on previous decisions the OKCPS district have made, eventually you're going to have to close Capitol Hill High School and the building will be bordered up--those students will be bused throughout the district.

Now we understand how alums feel about the buildings where they attended high school. It's time to move on, build a structure that is functional and more energy efficient (Like John Marshall, U.S. Grant and Douglass) or the building will be closed permanently.

The OKCPS district doesn't have a choice, these building are costing the district a ton of money to operate. If this bond doesn't pass, look for the district to try one more passage attempt--it will be understood that if the 2nd attempt doesn't pass, the students attending Capitol Hill and all the buildings identified that are not energy efficient will be closed and those students bused to other schools throughout the district. The newer schools (funded thru MAPS 4) will need to be expanded to accompany the new influx of students from permanently closed structures.

I can't even imagine that scenario. Millions in additions to newer buildings AND basically a fleet of new buses and drivers.

I can say that U.S. Grant, which would be an obvious choice to take some C.H. students, doesn't have the land for additions to the structure. They have portables that were jammed into a small space between existing parts of the new building, because there wasn't room for them.

Thread Information