Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Would this increase prop taxes across the whole city or just the parts that feed into OKCPS? If only the feeders I assume they are the only ones voting as well?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is funny only because OKC goes 5 miles further north ... and 11 miles further west then this location ... so not quite the "far end"
    It's the far northwest part of the school district. Neighborhoods even one mile north of here are in Deer Creek, and one mile west is Putnam City North.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    It's the far northwest part of the school district. Neighborhoods even one mile north of here are in Deer Creek, and one mile west is Putnam City North.
    that makes sense thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Would this increase prop taxes across the whole city or just the parts that feed into OKCPS? If only the feeders I assume they are the only ones voting as well?
    Only if you are within okc school districts

CHAMBER FORUM TO DISCUSS UPCOMING OKCPS BOND VOTE

During the October Chamber Forum on October 19, attendees will hear about the upcoming bond vote proposed by Oklahoma City Public Schools and the impact it will have on the district. You won’t want to miss this important discussion.

The luncheon will take place at Vast on the 50th floor. The cost to attend the August Chamber Forum is $40 for Chamber members and $50 for nonmembers. For updated information and speaker announcements, visit okcchamber.com/events.

The Chamber Forum series brings thought leaders together to discuss major initiatives, programs and current issues that impact Oklahoma City’s business climate, economy and community.

Special thanks to our Series Presenting Sponsor Cox Business and Series Corporate Sponsor ADG.
    - https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/eve...ack=super_blog

It's frustrating that no amount of money put into the schools will help with the teacher shortage and the amount of teachers leaving the state to get better paying jobs. in 2015, Oklahoma was 48th in the nation and is ranked 48th now. I googled it and couldn't find where we were in 2001 prior to the MAPS for Kids vote, but I would guess in the mid-40's range. I will be voting yes on this as I want the structures to be better and I don't mind spending money on schools, but the long term solution would be to pay teachers more. The issue with that is it is on the state level.

I read a book a few years ago called the public wealth of cities and they had an entire chapter of the book talking about education. The problem is education is a long term play. If the state all of a sudden turns around and wants to start paying teachers $20,000 more per year, it wouldn't make the schools better immediately. It would take a few years to work out who were good and bad teachers and get the right people in place. So, it would be about 3-4 years before you start seeing test scores go up. This would, in turn, bring more businesses to Oklahoma as the cost of living would still be low, but the education would be better for families, but our state government is so short sighted that they don't want to do that .

Rant over, sorry.

I already know several teachers who will likely quit if a certain someone is elected but I won’t say more than that due to the politics ban.

8. Default Re: OKC Public Schools proposed $955 million bond vote

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I already know several teachers who will likely quit if a certain someone is elected but I won’t say more than that due to the politics ban.
    There are others that can (and do) speak for you. There's a whole other thread that dives in to that. And yes, you are absolutely correct. Both S*itt and Walters.

Thread Information