Widgets Magazine

Thread: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Looks like fiber-optic cable is being run on the south side of NW 36th, from around Youngs to around Classen (from the flags, it looks like they may be working their way towards May). Anybody know who/what it's for (or if it truly is fiber-optic)?

2. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

I have no idea about who. But if I understand correctly if it's orange plastic conduit it's for fiber.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

It should be a continuation of what was run near my work (36/Portland), which was Dobson/AT&T. Once it got run, started getting sales calls from AT&T.

I have been told AT&T has been working in the Summerfield area (NW 122 & Meridian) installing fiber-optic (orange conduit). Guessing they are working around town.

Yep, it's orange plastic conduit, so it's probably AT&T, maybe I'll be able to get off Cox internet in the near future. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Yep, it's orange plastic conduit, so it's probably AT&T, maybe I'll be able to get off Cox internet in the near future. Thanks all.
    I’ve had ATT fiber 1000 for many years now. You won’t be disappointed. I got in early so I have much lower rate $55 but I think current pricing still is just 70-80. Which is great for the speeds and quality. Never had it go down

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I’ve had ATT fiber 1000 for many years now. You won’t be disappointed. I got in early so I have much lower rate $55 but I think current pricing still is just 70-80. Which is great for the speeds and quality. Never had it go down
    Wait, I was paying 50 for years and then it surprsingly jumped to 80. Still get hbo max though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Wait, I was paying 50 for years and then it surprsingly jumped to 80. Still get hbo max though.
    I paid 39.99 for years and then this year the promo ended so I went to 55. Previous years I had called to keep it in promo

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I've had the same package for a couple of years now and I've been thoroughly satisfied with the service itself. It's incredibly fast, both for downloads AND uploads, and I haven't had a single service interruption since the day it was installed (unlike with Cox). The only real annoyance is AT&T's provided router - their "residential gateway" - isn't great for power users; though you can run your own router, it must be daisy chained through their residential gateway due to how they've chosen to implement subscriber authentication. Advanced users can hack their way around needing to keep the residential gateway in the chain... but it's not a supported configuration. But despite that complaint, I *highly* recommend AT&T Fiber if you can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I *highly* recommend AT&T Fiber if you can get it.
    +1

We had AT&T Fiber in The Village before moving a few years ago. We could only get Cox and it felt like a huge step back for 20% more money. We moved last weekend and were ecstatic to find AT&T Fiber was available.

I used to live southwest of 36th and May and had AT&T Fiber and it was fantastic. I moved just over a mile away and no fiber, and Cox has been very lame. I'll be excited when we can finally get fiber again.

We’ve had fiber through AT&T (Internet 1000 plan) since we moved to Oklahoma City a little over two years ago and my quality of life will diminish greatly if I ever have to go without it again. With online gaming, I rarely have a latency above 25ms and I can’t think of a time I’ve seen it above 30ms. Outside of a few instances, it usually just feels like I’m playing offline because the response times are so immediate. I downloaded Far Cry 6 on my Xbox Series X last Friday night around 7:00 PM and it took roughly 50 minutes to download it (79GB) wirelessly, so somewhere around 220Mbps on average while my son was streaming from Disney+ on my iPad and my wife was on FaceTime with her sister. I’ve seen it hit above 800Mbps in the past and even stay over 400Mbps for a good 10-15 minutes straight while downloading, but it most consistently is somewhere between 170-230Mbps.

For comparison, at the last place we lived we didn’t have fiber and I can count on my hand how many times the download speeds went above 50Mbps and I was feeling dangerous if my ping dropped below 80ms. Those aren’t the worst speeds but factoring in how often Comcast/Xfinity seemed to throttle their networks or they would just get overloaded from surrounding usage, it felt much worse. Of course, those numbers were about three or four years ago when I was first taking note of the speeds I could consistently expect on an Xbox One S, so there are some simple reasons my speeds are so much better now, but the biggest factor in the dramatic increase is just being connected with fiber.

Must be nice... Does anyone know how to be a loud enough squeaky wheel to get AT&T to extend Fiber into one's neighborhood? We live in a smaller neighborhood, 1-acre plots with about 100 plots total. Cox is the best option when it comes to speeds, with AT&T being the same cost for lesser quality. The neighborhood across the street just had fiber put in about 6 months ago. Is this just a matter of time? I have thought about trying out the T-Mobile 5g home internet just to save some money. But I haven't heard anybody that has tried it around our area.

14. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Must be nice... Does anyone know how to be a loud enough squeaky wheel to get AT&T to extend Fiber into one's neighborhood? We live in a smaller neighborhood, 1-acre plots with about 100 plots total. Cox is the best option when it comes to speeds, with AT&T being the same cost for lesser quality. The neighborhood across the street just had fiber put in about 6 months ago. Is this just a matter of time? I have thought about trying out the T-Mobile 5g home internet just to save some money. But I haven't heard anybody that has tried it around our area.
    I don't know of any way to find AT&Ts roll out schedule. I've tried. Hopefully for us both since it's been installed close to us that we'll get it before long. There's 5 additions in a group where we are. 3 have had AT&T fiber installed in the last year. I keep hoping to see those rolls of orange plastic conduit any day.

15. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

We're on COX. I have a question for those with ATT fiber. If I'm at work and the Ring doorbell rings seeing who's there is not happening because it takes to long to get the video feed. Does the much faster upload speed have an effect on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We're on COX. I have a question for those with ATT fiber. If I'm at work and the Ring doorbell rings seeing who's there is not happening because it takes to long to get the video feed. Does the much faster upload speed have an effect on this?
    i would think this is a settings issue or an issue with your doorbell camera ...

i have a medium cox internet package .. and my garage door camera and outdoor camera work instantly (they are not cox devices )

17. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i would think this is a settings issue or an issue with your doorbell camera ...

i have a medium cox internet package .. and my garage door camera and outdoor camera work instantly (they are not cox devices )
    Actually I have the doorbell and 4 others. Been through all kinds of adjustments to settings with Ring and right now is as good as it gets. If I'm at home and just going through the router they're instant.

Actually I have the doorbell and 4 others. Been through all kinds of adjustments to settings with Ring and right now is as good as it gets. If I'm at home and just going through the router they're instant.
    A lot of factors come into play. First your upload speed. What router your using and how far is your doorbell from the router. How many devices do you have on the router also plays a factor. I'm on cox and I went from 30mb upload to 10 and my wyze cameras don't look as fast as they did when I was on 30.

19. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Always pick fiber. Cox's data caps should be illegal.

Echoing what everyone else has said about Fiber. We've had a few interruptions here and there (once our wire came down, and once something had happened at the hub near us due to construction) but otherwise it has been very fast and reliable. One thing is that we can't quite get the 1000 Mbps we are paying for -- we're often closer to 300-500 -- but it's still more than enough for us and may be our router's fault.

Oddly I live just a block away from where this fiber is going in, so I'm surprised it isn't already along this corridor. I guess mine comes from elsewhere.

21. Default Re: Fiber-optic cable being run on NW 36th?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Echoing what everyone else has said about Fiber. We've had a few interruptions here and there (once our wire came down, and once something had happened at the hub near us due to construction) but otherwise it has been very fast and reliable. One thing is that we can't quite get the 1000 Mbps we are paying for -- we're often closer to 300-500 -- but it's still more than enough for us and may be our router's fault.

Oddly I live just a block away from where this fiber is going in, so I'm surprised it isn't already along this corridor. I guess mine comes from elsewhere.
    I'm assuming you're talking about Cox 1000 Mbps. If so that's what I have also and I've never had a speed test over 500 with a fairly new router and a modem on Cox's highest approved speed list.

I'm assuming you're talking about Cox 1000 Mbps. If so that's what I have also and I've never had a speed test over 500 with a fairly new router and a modem on Cox's highest approved speed list.
    I have AT&T Fiber.

Thread Information