Widgets Magazine

Thread: Weird MLB Question?

Question Weird MLB Question?

I'm not a huge sports fanatic so please go easy on me. I have a weird question to ask those who are/were baseball athletes or extreme sports fanatics.

So the other day I just happened to have the St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Yankees (playing in St. Louis) game on the television (FOX). St. Louis got a hit and Nolan Gorman tried to score from either 1st or 2nd base (I honestly was not paying that much attention) but got tagged out at home plate. I noticed that Gorman was wearing what looked like a red sock on his hand when he tried to slide belly first into home plate. Gorman lead the slide with the socked hand. I thought it might be a mitten but it did not have a thumb sticking out from it and it definitely was not a typical batting glove on his hand.

Does anyone know if a hand covered in a sock is common practice and a new piece of gear that baseball players are allowed to wear when base running?

I was perplexed by this that I had to rewind my DVR multiple times to verify was I was seeing.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the answer to my question!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Weird MLB Question?

Typically referred to as a sliding mitt. Available on Amazon of course….. https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Pro-Slidi.../dp/B081W6TGJ4.

3. Default Re: Weird MLB Question?

^
    Yes. It's a sliding mitt. It somewhat protects the hand the runner leads with but mostly it's more visible than a bare hand so it's easier for the umps to see touch the base.

Thread Information