Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bibb's Smokehouse

1. Default Bibb's Smokehouse

Has anyone tried this place at E 108th and Alameda in Norman? I'm thinking about checking it out this weekend.

Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

I'll try it this Friday. For science. Pictures look good though.

We wasn't very impressed. Have to drive right by Rudy's so probably will just stop there instead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Krskv6F8KJMzcZB19

Stopped by Friday. I thought it was a pretty good get for Norman. A little further into Norman than I had thought as I got to drive through thunderbird for the first time. How high is the bar for bbq in Norman though? I've had Rudy's, Van's, Rays, and meating place. I don't think you run into anything better until you get to North Dallas like Hutchins or Edgecraft in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post

Stopped by Friday. I thought it was a pretty good get for Norman. A little further into Norman than I had thought as I got to drive through thunderbird for the first time. How high is the bar for bbq in Norman though? I've had Rudy's, Van's, Rays, and meating place. I don't think you run into anything better until you get to North Dallas like Hutchins or Edgecraft in OKC.

Hutchins is so good

HangryHippo Guest

What did you order? The picture looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    What did you order? The picture looks good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRZ8MSTkchrfgPB26

8. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

I've had Rudy's, Van's, Rays, and meating place. I don't think you run into anything better until you get to North Dallas like Hutchins or Edgecraft in OKC.
    Have you tried Smoking' Joe's in Davis? Their ribs are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Have you tried Smoking' Joe's in Davis? Their ribs are top notch.
    I haven't. The ribs do look good int he pictures.

10. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

I haven't. The ribs do look good int he pictures.
    I like to stop there for lunch when I'm going to Dallas.

We like Smokin Joes, always a stop for us when we head south on 35

12. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

Went to Bibb's tonight. Very unimpressed with the ribs and brisket. Doubt I'll go back, but if I did I'd try their chicken fried steak, it looked good.

Went to Bibb's this week and got some brisket to go. Very disappointed when I got home. It was 50% fat and that's no exaggeration. I don't mean "fatty" meat, I'm talkin' 100% fat that pulls off like jelly. So by the time I pulled all the fat off and left with edible beef, I'm payin' $54 a lb. for brisket. I have to say I did like the brisket once the fat was pulled off and the sauce was really good (sweet). I might go back again for something else (chicken fried steak maybe) or maybe some ribs, but won't be going back for $27 brisket that's half fat. Hopefully they'll start trimming some of the fat before putting their briskets in the smoker. I don't mind paying a premium for good brisket but for fat? Nah.

14. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

https://www.thelostogle.com/2022/08/...bbs-smokehouse

I wonder if Roger S is familiar with this reviewer. Based off his review of Bibb's I certainly wouldn't trust any of his recommendations. I'll add one thing for anyone who wants to go, do not get the banana pudding unless you want straight out of the box banana pudding with no banana slices.

https://www.thelostogle.com/2022/08/...bbs-smokehouse

I wonder if Roger S is familiar with this reviewer. Based off his review of Bibb's I certainly wouldn't trust any of his recommendations. I'll add one thing for anyone who wants to go, do not get the banana pudding unless you want straight out of the box banana pudding with no banana slices.
    Louis Fowler is a couple of levels below Greg Elwell as far as reviewing food - he likes it all, eats it all, and he uses his thesaurus way too much (sometimes in a disgusting way), so yeah, take his review with a whole shaker full of salt, not just a grain.

16. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    he uses his thesaurus way too much (sometimes in a disgusting way)
    LOL, that's exactly what I was think when I read this phrase:

"As I inhaled the corpulent aroma, I took the waiting meat into my being and was brutally amazed."

Let's just say his use of adjectives and adverbs is a little suspect.

Also, do they not have any editors at the Lost Ogle?

17. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

I wonder if Roger S is familiar with this reviewer.
    If I remember correctly... A few years ago he did a Top 5 BBQ review and one of the Top 5 had been out of business for a couple of years.

What kind of triggers me, and I had to double check to make sure he didn't order pork, but that piece of brisket in the picture looks like it was cut with the grain and not across it.

And for those that ever read my blog.... I'm also wondering if that bread is toasted on both sides.

Yeah, that brisket does not look appealing. It barely looks like brisket. Okra is the same stuff everyone makes I'm betting, which leaves the beans that he describes as beans.

I've never understood the appeal of his food reviews.

19. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Yeah, that brisket does not look appealing. It barely looks like brisket. Okra is the same stuff everyone makes I'm betting, .
    I honestly thought it was a piece of pulled pork when I looked at it. Had to go back and re-read that he ordered a 2 meat brisket and rib tips meal.

The okra looks soggy but it's hard to tell from a picture.

I do wish the owners best of luck out there though. They have cool plans for the place but it's going to be a tough road to get it going.

Also, do they not have any editors at the Lost Ogle?
    That's a feature and not a bug at TLO.

Fowler's reviews are bad but I like to read them just because the places that get featured are usually ones I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    If I remember correctly... A few years ago he did a Top 5 BBQ review and one of the Top 5 had been out of business for a couple of years.

What kind of triggers me, and I had to double check to make sure he didn't order pork, but that piece of brisket in the picture looks like it was cut with the grain and not across it.

And for those that ever read my blog.... I'm also wondering if that bread is toasted on both sides.
    I am not familiar with your blog, do you still write?

22. Default Re: Bibb's Smokehouse

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I am not familiar with your blog, do you still write?
    No... Life lead me other directions..... But I had a running theme on one-sided toast.

http://okbbqea.blogspot.com/

Thread Information