Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

The model runs tonight (Saturday 8-27) have gone crazy. Big time rain chances for the Metro. Fingers crossed. Until I actually see storms coming I'm not buying it. Drought leads to more drought.

Well the last two good computer runs on Sunday morning don't look very promising not promising at all.

It rained very light here this morning for about 30 minutes. Maybe 1/16 inch in the rain gauge.

There problem be a storm or too to the north of the metro later today. A few places might get rain but far from a widespread rain . The Nam Nest does so a good rain moving it around 11pm monday night but it also dies it off rather quickly.

It's hot out there made it up to 98. One of the TV Stations I won't name which one but I went back to look on Thursday had the high today at 89. Friday they had it at 92. Saturday they had it up to 95. NWS had it 90 and 94. Just my two sense but I think they are just under estimating how dry it is. IT'S HOT OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    It's hot out there made it up to 98. One of the TV Stations I won't name which one but I went back to look on Thursday had the high today at 89. Friday they had it at 92. Saturday they had it up to 95. NWS had it 90 and 94. Just my two sense but I think they are just under estimating how dry it is. IT'S HOT OUT.
    I’ve about given up even looking at the forecasts. I just assume it won’t rain and usually it doesn’t

What was all the drama I'm seeing about KFOR and the golf tournament? I guess they cut in during a key moment.

Blog Entries

^ Yes, cut in when Sheffler was putting for a tie on 17 of the Players Championship. It was a quite critical moment! Ha. They cut in a number of times before that but they were not quite as dramatic.

Flashflood threat increasing for the N metro right now with nearly stationary severe storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Flashflood threat increasing for the N metro right now with nearly stationary severe storm.
    All the previous rain sprinkles missed me, so this one has decided to park right over my roof.

Blog Entries

This has been quite a lightening show too!

9:30 still not a drop by the airport and my house by the outlet mall just south of the lake .12. SMH

Finally my house and airport is getting it.

Getting a good soaking by 39th and Meridian. Will check the rain gauge in the morning and post the results.

Southeast OKC still missing out on the soaking rains. It all dies over the city.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Southeast OKC still missing out on the soaking rains. It all dies over the city.
    Norman too. This has been the strangest summer for rainfall with some places receiving several inches while less than 10 miles away nothing. We need a big line of storms to just sweep across the state.

No sooner than 3 days ago, all the local meteorologists were showing temps less than 90 deg and rain chances for this entire week. The forecast that I'm seeing now is all in the mid- to upper-90's and no rain chances at all. I feel like I'm in bizarro-world right now.

Storms are already developing across N OK. These are almost stationary with a slight drift to the north. Any given place in OK has pretty equal random chance of seeing a storm bubble up. Flash flood and brief gusty winds will be the main threats.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    No sooner than 3 days ago, all the local meteorologists were showing temps less than 90 deg and rain chances for this entire week. The forecast that I'm seeing now is all in the mid- to upper-90's and no rain chances at all. I feel like I'm in bizarro-world right now.
    No, not in a bizarro world. These local meteorologist are instructed by their bosses to pick the models that are most dramatic and forecast those in order to keep viewers on their stations and to keep clicks on social media to stay "checked in" for the weather. That's first hand info from a friend who used to work in the field. Gone are the days of accurate forecasting when Gary England would look at all models and make his very own forecast with is gut, then admit when he was wrong which really wasn't very often. Rick Mitchell was the same way. KOCO started pressuring him to forecast the drama so he finally left because he wouldn't do it. Gary, well he had too much control and wasn't going to do it, and well we all know about Mike Morgan.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Getting a good soaking by 39th and Meridian. Will check the rain gauge in the morning and post the results.
    1 and 1/2 inches

Looks like we picked up just over an inch of rain 1 mile west of Crossroads.

I'm right by Will Rogers Airport and only got 0.62 inches last night. Happy to get some but wish we'd have gotten more like some did.

Storms going up NW of El Reno are severe. Some small hail developing in those. Again movement is almost idle so if you are under these, you will experience flash flooding.

We got a couple of inches at our home last night. Lasted a good hour and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Norman too. This has been the strangest summer for rainfall with some places receiving several inches while less than 10 miles away nothing. We need a big line of storms to just sweep across the state.
    Stillwater only got teased and missed out on the heavy rain last night, but since around noon it has gotten around 1".

Thread Information