Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Lol at the Euro model with 34 inches of rain in North Texas.

Had a nice little rain last night at my house near Penn Square. Anything at this point is more than welcome.

And this morning I actually opened my windows and let in some fresh air! First time in almost 3 months.

It basically feels like Fall outside right now. Nice day for me to take my dog on a walk and grab coffee from Classen Coffee. Oh and that rain last night already helped green up my yard a little bit.

We got a nice little bit of rain on the Southside too - picked up a little over a tenth of an inch (0.13") of rain a mile west of Crossroads. Not a huge amount but I'll take anything at this point. Looking forward to getting some more rain in the near future too!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    We got a nice little bit of rain on the Southside too - picked up a little over a tenth of an inch (0.13") of rain a mile west of Crossroads. Not a huge amount but I'll take anything at this point. Looking forward to getting some more rain in the near future too!
    north normal got just under a tenth (.08"). but it really cooled us back down. the temp right before it started raining was around 82, and now we are in the low 70's. it's nice i have most of my windows at home open right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Had a nice little rain last night at my house near Penn Square. Anything at this point is more than welcome.

And this morning I actually opened my windows and let in some fresh air! First time in almost 3 months.
    I've got one of those huge attic fans, so several times throughout the summer when lows were under 75 I'd turn that thing on all night. Helped the A/C the next day or so while the attic had to heat back up and also brought in that fresh air. Made for a few muggy mornings in the house but it's amazing what fresh air can do for a house overall.

7. Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I've got one of those huge attic fans, so several times throughout the summer when lows were under 75 I'd turn that thing on all night. Helped the A/C the next day or so while the attic had to heat back up and also brought in that fresh air. Made for a few muggy mornings in the house but it's amazing what fresh air can do for a house overall.
    OMG. The house I grew up in had one of those in the hallway. It had a cover that opened by a rope that came through the ceiling in my bedroom closet. It moved a LOT of air with all the windows open. We only had window A/C units so it had to be pretty hot before the fan wasn't as good as the A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    OMG. The house I grew up in had one of those in the hallway. It had a cover that opened by a rope that came through the ceiling in my bedroom closet. It moved a LOT of air with all the windows open. We only had window A/C units so it had to be pretty hot before the fan wasn't as good as the A/C.
    I adore the thing

Regarding rain chances beginning Sunday. Models are continuing to favor majority of the rainfall to be along the Red River and points south. Will keep a watch for any shifts, but it looks like it may not be such a washout as we would like.

Even if this isn't the drought savior the models are showing continuous frontal passages over the next two weeks which will provide additional rainfall chances and keep temps lower. Pretty amazing to see this pattern in August.

Would have liked to have seen this storm track further north. At this point, we’ll be lucky to wet the dirt in northern okc. Stillwater is also extremely dry.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Would have liked to have seen this storm track further north. At this point, we’ll be lucky to wet the dirt in northern okc. Stillwater is also extremely dry.
    Same, but glad some of the worst drought areas are getting it. August is typically a dry month so any rain chances are good and there are several at the end of the month.

Rain chances return this weekend, especially Sunday. Rainfall forecast through the 29th:

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Rain chances return this weekend, especially Sunday. Rainfall forecast through the 29th:
    Until we get something Louisiana is going to get, these little amounts of rain really don't do much to help, aside from maintaining lawn green-ness. I hate that Mother Nature is punishing Oklahoma. Even Texas is getting dumped on.

I mean, I'd rather have the 0.21" that OKC got from this system than the 9.19" and massive flash flooding that Dallas got, lmao. It would have been nice to split the difference, though.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Until we get something Louisiana is going to get, these little amounts of rain really don't do much to help, aside from maintaining lawn green-ness. I hate that Mother Nature is punishing Oklahoma. Even Texas is getting dumped on.
    We are in our driest time of year. Late September into October typically are wetter months heading into the drier winter months. Typical La Nina winter is dry and cold but the long-range outlook favors a wetter spring in 2023.

Next storm system moves in late Sunday with the best rain chances Monday night into Tuesday with lingering scattered storms on Wednesday and Thursday. Temperatures stay seasonal with highs in the low to mid 90's this weekend and high 80's next week.

Watching the tropics for a potential tropical system in the Gulf later next week.

Ugh, looks like our week long rain chances are disappearing yet again as we get closer. This year has been one of the worst years I can remember for rain prediction. Obviously, as we get closer to the storm systems, the model errors decrease and they cut back on the rain chances; however, that 3-7 day prediction of rain seems to have consistently over promised only to see these storms under-deliver.

The temps have been good though. Just wish we could get more rain.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Ugh, looks like our week long rain chances are disappearing yet again as we get closer. This year has been one of the worst years I can remember for rain prediction. Obviously, as we get closer to the storm systems, the model errors decrease and they cut back on the rain chances; however, that 3-7 day prediction of rain seems to have consistently over promised only to see these storms under-deliver.

The temps have been good though. Just wish we could get more rain.
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T. But I'm going to agree. I think this is like rain chance number 3 or 4 coming this week. The Airport has had less than an inch of rain since July 1. Only .50 so far this month with all these big rain chances we have had over the past few weeks. SMH

Also, the temp predictions have been way off.

Not too long ago, we were predicted to not crest 90 in the 10-day forecast.

Now, everything has been ratcheted up to the mid-90s in the 10-day.

I'm not buying into the "temperatures are good" line. We are predicted to be about 5 degrees over normal for the next couple of weeks. Just goes to show how incredibly brutal this summer has been when 95 in September is regarded as relief.

What we are seeing now in forecasting are teasers and hype to bring in viewership and social media followings. That's what it's all about with these local TV weather yardbirds. Top brass at the news outlets are pushing them to put out lots of teaser and hype material. Ever since Gary England left, local forecasters simply pick a model and roll with it -- and usually the most dramatic one -- and then blame the models if it doesn't come to fruition. But really, they are brazen enough now to just say 'models are saying....' and even Mike Morgan puts the name of the model on the screen! Gary's old team, they actually used their gut by interpreting all the models and making their very own forecasts. They were right most of the time and when they were wrong, he came out and said that he got it wrong and how, and then moved on to the next forecast. What we have now is a new breed of weather forecasters and I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ... Gary's old team, they actually used their gut by interpreting all the models and making their very own forecasts. They were right most of the time and when they were wrong, he came out and said that he got it wrong and how, and then moved on to the next forecast. ...
    The Weather Channel still operates this way, watch them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Also, the temp predictions have been way off.

Not too long ago, we were predicted to not crest 90 in the 10-day forecast.

Now, everything has been ratcheted up to the mid-90s in the 10-day.

I'm not buying into the "temperatures are good" line. We are predicted to be about 5 degrees over normal for the next couple of weeks. Just goes to show how incredibly brutal this summer has been when 95 in September is regarded as relief.
    I agree on the temps. So sick of the heat. I don't think I've ever seen cracks in the ground in my yard like I have now. It has shrunk so much that the cap I have covering access to one of my sewer clean outs got popped off and won't go back on because the top of the clean out is just too high now. Cracks along all of my fence lines like I've never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The Weather Channel still operates this way, watch them instead.
    TWC is quite good, but in my personal opinion, the National Weather Service is the gold standard. https://www.weather.gov/norman

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T. But I'm going to agree. I think this is like rain chance number 3 or 4 coming this week. The Airport has had less than an inch of rain since July 1. Only .50 so far this month with all these big rain chances we have had over the past few weeks. SMH
    I agree with you, kind of wild how off the models have been this year. I installed my new personal weather station on July 15, and since then I've registered just a hair over 3/4". I'm about one mile west of Crossroads.

https://ambientweather.net/dashboard...fed108ff/tiles

Thread Information