Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Models are showing the potential for northwest flow impacting parts of OK starting next Monday. The models typically don’t have a good handle on northwest flow events so hopefully it will provide some decent precip and cooler temps

Expecting scattered to numerous slow-moving pulse storms for the OKC Metro today between 4:00 and 10:00 p.m. with the slightly better chances being south of I-40. Main threats will be heavy rain and perhaps a severe wind gust or two, similar to yesterday.

After today, the weak front causing these storms will wash out, ending our precipitation chances for a while. Tomorrow through Friday should feature fairly seasonable temperatures, with highs in the mid 90’s and lows in the lower 70’s. Thereafter, the ridge will build back in and we may have a few more days of triple digit highs.

Models are hinting at a slightly more notable cold front moving through sometime around the middle of next week and potentially ushering in a period of northwest flow, which would likely bring cooler temperatures and higher precipitation chances. Keep your fingers crossed, and stay tuned.

hopefully this will be a big rain maker for the state. NW flow has been a drought eraser in the past .

Some decent improvement today and yesterday for some of the driest areas in Kingfisher and Pittsburg counties

I feel like mother nature has something against SE OKC. We never get dumped on with rain. This storm looks, as of now, to be staying west of us. I don't know how Draper stays even close to full.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I feel like mother nature has something against SE OKC. We never get dumped on with rain. This storm looks, as of now, to be staying west of us. I don't know how Draper stays even close to full.
    Because they pump water into it from Atoka and McGee Creek.

After another hot and dry weekend the pattern looks like it will finally shift bringing widespread rain and cooler temps starting around 8/18. Hopefully Norman and points south will finally get some rain

Looks like if we can get through next Tuesday, thereafter high temps will only be in the upper 80s for the next 7-10 days.

Also, some decent rain chances.

I can't wait for this hell on earth to be over. I have to say though that this morning was as nice as it's been in a long time.

Makes a huge difference if you start the day near 70 instead of over 80.

You and me both Pete!!!

Highs in the 80s will feel like fall when we’ve been so used to 100+

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Highs in the 80s will feel like fall when we’ve been so used to 100+
    He'll, there have been days with highs in the 90s that I'm like "man ... This is kind of nice" and then seeing the temperature I just shakey head. Pretty incredible how the body internalizes some of those temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    He'll, there have been days with highs in the 90s that I'm like "man ... This is kind of nice" and then seeing the temperature I just shakey head. Pretty incredible how the body internalizes some of those temperatures.
    Overall it seems like the humidity has been lower than usual this summer, which does help it not feel quite as oppressive outside as you might otherwise expect. But it's still been really, really hot and I'm looking forward to some relief.

Next best chance for rain is Tuesday into Wednesday mainly over the eastern part of OK. Then again more widespread Tuesday into Thursday the following week.

I think the one weather "pattern" that can be annoying for me is when we have days or weeks on end of the same kind of particular weather. I don't mind mixing things up with a few scorching hot days, or a few days of sub-freezing temps, etc. but when we have long stretches of it, it starts to get old.

I'm ready for some temperature deflation!

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I think the one weather "pattern" that can be annoying for me is when we have days or weeks on end of the same kind of particular weather. I don't mind mixing things up with a few scorching hot days, or a few days of sub-freezing temps, etc. but when we have long stretches of it, it starts to get old.
    I tried to explain this about the monotony of California weather and how sometimes I found it slightly depressing.

There were periods where we didn't have rain -- I mean zero -- for like 10 months. And during that time, there was barely a cloud.

Hard to imagine that perpetual sunshine would be depressing, but after a while I found myself praying for any type of change. And it's one of the reasons I love the rain here, whether we need it or not. Water=life. And when there is none for a long period of time, it takes its toll on all living things, both plant and animal. It's something that has been happening these last few months and I can't wait for it to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I tried to explain this about the monotony of California weather and how sometimes I found it slightly depressing.

There were periods where we didn't have rain -- I mean zero -- for like 10 months. And during that time, there was barely a cloud.

Hard to imagine that perpetual sunshine would be depressing, but after a while I found myself praying for any type of change. And it's one of the reasons I love the rain here, whether we need it or not. Water=life. And when there is none for a long period of time, it takes its toll on all living things, both plant and animal. It's something that has been happening these last few months and I can't wait for it to end.
    I wonder how it is living in the NW where it can be cloudy and rain for months on end. But I do enjoy the endless sunshine and no rain though sometimes I do also enjoy a nice thunderstorm. Still, I’ll take no rain and sunshine everyday if I could.

18. Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to imagine that perpetual sunshine would be depressing, but after a while I found myself praying for any type of change.
    I've noticed this exact same effect with terrain.... When I was in the Smoky Mountains last year all the pine trees were beautiful but it was rare we could see more than a few hundred feet. After a couple of days I was hiking around wondering how people deal with not being able to see the horizon most of the time like we can here.

19. Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wonder how it is living in the NW where it can be cloudy and rain for months on end. But I do enjoy the endless sunshine and no rain though sometimes I do also enjoy a nice thunderstorm. Still, I’ll take no rain and sunshine everyday if I could.
    I had a chance to find out but passed. I was offered a very good job in Bellingham, WA a number of years ago but passed when I looked up the average rain days there compared to here. I was also still a very avid road cyclist at the time and hated riding in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I've noticed this exact same effect with terrain.... When I was in the Smoky Mountains last year all the pine trees were beautiful but it was rare we could see more than a few hundred feet. After a couple of days I was hiking around wondering how people deal with not being able to see the horizon most of the time like we can here.
    Interesting you say that because I had a friend who moved to Virginia and made the same observation. He said the trees were beautiful but he deeply missed being able to see miles into the distance, something he never thought about until it was gone. There are spots in far NW OKC where you can see all the way to downtown, a distance of 15-20 miles.

I suppose it's the same forces at work as having a 'view' from a particular area. I lived on a hill in California and could see very far into the distance, which never failed to mesmerize me even when things remained largely the same (like no weather change rolling in) for a long period. I suspect it ties into our DNA where early man needed to see in the distance for purposes of safety and hunting/survival.

It's very much a human trait to enjoy being higher up and being able to look out over a broad landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wonder how it is living in the NW where it can be cloudy and rain for months on end. ...
    It's not fun, did it for 18 months. Aside from the emotional/mental state, you have to wear water*proof*, not just water-resistant outerwear, it's just drizzly, misty, cold, etc. for so many months annually, and for 2 months it's great, but that's not for me/us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    It's not fun, did it for 18 months. Aside from the emotional/mental state, you have to wear water*proof*, not just water-resistant outerwear, it's just drizzly, misty, cold, etc. for so many months annually, and for 2 months it's great, but that's not for me/us.
    Yeah personally I’ve grown to absolutely love the desert and the heat. I spend most of my free time in Palm Springs, Vegas, or Moab(in the summer). I do think it’d be fun for a little bit experiencing the rainy PNW but I figure it would get old quick.

23. Default Re: August 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Coldest winter I ever spent was a mild one in the Portland area where it was cloudy or misting or raining and about 37-47 degrees ALL. WINTER. LONG. Never cold enough for snow, never warm enough to feel you were getting a reprieve. I have never been colder during a winter. Just as dry heat is easier to deal with than wet heat, same for cold. Colder temps but drier air is easier to bundle up against than milder, wetter cold. True the PNW is spectacular to experience, but only for a short span of time each year--2-3 months. That's why we go out there in early September--it's the best time of the year there.

Funny graphic from the Mesonet. Drought relief incoming!

I'll believe it when I see it, but yes GFS is painting a complete ridge breakdown and bringing substantial rain chances to the state next week.

Thread Information