Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Monkeypox declared Health Emergency

Default Re: Monkeypox declared Health Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Smallpox? Spanish flu? Polio? I understand that public schools leave a lot to be desired where it comes to basic U.S. history, but maybe run a search before asking a question like that? Maybe pick up a book or two on your own? I shouldn’t be surprised. You see those man on the street interviews where folks can’t identify who fought in the civil war. Par for thé course.
    You missed H1N1, Zika, and Opioid maybe if you would look about 10 post up you would see a link I posted . I also don't think back in 1918 when the Spanish Flu was around we declared National emergencies but I wasn't around than so not sure. You see to know everything so I'll assume you are correct. SMH https://www.usnews.com/news/national...ly-declare-one

Since many on the thread seem interested in public health history, this is an interesting link. I was not familiar with the Marine Hospital Service of the1800s
    https://www.cdc.gov/museum/app/roots/roots.html

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It’s okay!

hahaha I was thinking of this as well

Any update on this health emergency? Last I heard there was something about a frenchman and dog then it just disappeared from the news feed. Is still an official emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Any update on this health emergency? Last I heard there was something about a frenchman and dog then it just disappeared from the news feed. Is still an official emergency?
    It's disappeared from the news, period. I guess there was no PC or woke way to report on it, so it's no longer an issue.

That is the problem with crying wolf on everything - sometimes, diseases spread quickly and then go away or fade back to obscurity.

The actual answer is that taking it seriously worked:

The most vulnerable populations were successfully vaccinated and it was largely brought under control. As you can see from the chart there are still new infections being detected daily but the curve is heading in the right direction.

Apparently if you successfully contain a potential pandemic it means you were just overreacting all along.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The actual answer is that taking it seriously worked:

The most vulnerable populations were successfully vaccinated and it was largely brought under control. As you can see from the chart there are still new infections being detected daily but the curve is heading in the right direction.

Apparently if you successfully contain a potential pandemic it means you were just overreacting all along.
    Can confirm. A large majority of my friends took it seriously and have gotten one or both of their monkeypox vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Can confirm. A large majority of my friends took it seriously and have gotten one or both of their monkeypox vaccines.
    So back to my orginal question, 'Is it a still a public health emergency' and if so why is this an emergency and not other diseases? I can found where they announced there policy, but I can't find where they recinded it.

'U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra announced today that he will declare the ongoing spread of monkeypox virus in the United States a Public Health Emergency (PHE).'

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    So back to my orginal question, 'Is it a still a public health emergency' and if so why is this an emergency and not other diseases? I can found where they announced there policy, but I can't find where they recinded it.

'U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra announced today that he will declare the ongoing spread of monkeypox virus in the United States a Public Health Emergency (PHE).'
    Because we can print more money if it's a health emergency. Kind of what I was trying to bring up. Is everything now going to be a national emergency. There were like 25 states that had less than 10 cases during the peak yet somehow it was a national emergency. What is next?

Here is the only article I could find... From the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/26/h...eypox-hiv.html

Interesting article on "Mpox" = Monkeypox.

Mpox deaths

I hope this crying wolf stops. People already question the WHO as it is. I don't want people losing faith and trust in them going forward. But lying about China, making a mountain out of a molehill with Monkeypox, the patience a lot of people, both on the left and right, has worn thin.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I hope this crying wolf stops. People already question the WHO as it is. I don't want people losing faith and trust in them going forward. But lying about China, making a mountain out of a molehill with Monkeypox, the patience a lot of people, both on the left and right, has worn thin.
    There was no crying wolf here. This recent Mpox outbreak affected 30k+ people in the US (87k globally), and 42 people died. That sounds like it met the criteria for a public health emergency to me. The situation was resolved through prevention and education - including vaccination of vulnerable populations. Personally, there's only one group my patience is wearing thin with, and it's not the WHO.

Update:

If you plan to go to summer festivals as outlined in this document, make sure you are vaccinated.

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/mpox/ca.../may-2023.html

CDC continues to assess that the risk of resurgent mpox outbreaks is substantial in the United States. Although the daily number of reported mpox cases has fallen dramatically since August 2022, the diagnosis of several unlinked cases each week and intermittent wastewater detections across jurisdictions are consistent with ongoing undetected transmission. The risk of outbreaks could further increase as people gather this spring and summer for festivals and other events with high potential for skin-to-skin contact or increased sexual activity. Healthcare providers, public health agencies, and partner organizations should help ensure disproportionately affected populations—currently gay, bisexual, other men who have sex with men (MSM), and transgender people—have access to vaccines, testing, and treatment. People at risk for mpox exposure should 1) be vigilant of the possibility of community transmission, 2) take steps to reduce risk of infection, and 3) seek vaccination.

Thread Information