Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips Murrah (Midtown mixed use)

Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

I drove by yesterday as well, they are not wasting time.

2. Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks, I'll get out there with my drone soon.

This project is really going to change the feel of Midtown. I can't remember a time when those lots weren't vacant.
    I remember when the lots facing 10th had eerie ghost steps leading up to the front doors of buildings (probably apartments) that no longer existed, and that was in the late '70s. Those lots have probably been empty 50+ years.

^

This is from 1969 but I know soon thereafter most of those homes and small apartment buildings were long gone.

That was really the case for much of Midtown: in the 60s people started leaving the core for the suburbs and by the 70s that whole area was pretty abandoned. I know that when I started as a commercial real estate broker in 1982, almost everything was gone and absolutely nobody was looking at property in that area.

And pretty much all the empty lots in this area came to be in a similar way. It's what people don't get when they blame urban renewal and cities for clearing out huge areas. Most of it was done simply because people left and it was easier for property owners to demolish due to break-ins, etc. Many owners just walked away altogether.

Not much different than what has recently happened where Strawberry Fields is trying to develop.

It's hard to imagine the area that is now Scissortail Park looking like that at one point. I moved here in 2013, and even then, there was nothing there.

The red brick building next to the bocce ball court has come down.

Pete, do you ever hear any rumblings about the industrial laundry facility property on the block just to the south and east of this site?

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Pete, do you ever hear any rumblings about the industrial laundry facility property on the block just to the south and east of this site?
    No, but obviously it is increasingly out of place.

I'm sure eventually someone will pay them to move because that is a prime piece of property.

Indeed it is, and the more developed the area becomes it seems like added traffic, parking and pedestrians would tend to hinder their trucks getting in and out of the area.

^

Anything built there would have outstanding and protected skyline views due to the federal complex immediately south.

They have already started pouring the footings for the building.

Will be great in-fill for the area. Selfishly wish it was a couple stories taller, so we'd get another crane in the area. But the area is growing, so residential will be likely coming up soon.

There is going to be a tower crane on-site. If you go back and look at the drawing on post #67 of this thread, it shows it. That is probably what the wood box by the alley, in the above photo is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This plan shows the two buildings on the east end of the property will be apartments:

Quote Originally Posted by ccsokc View Post
    There is going to be a tower crane on-site. If you go back and look at the drawing on post #67 of this thread, it shows it. That is probably what the wood box by the alley, in the above photo is for.
    You are correct, I can't believe I didn't notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsokc View Post
    Ah, my bad. Good catch!

And if the CoreBank tower moves forward this Summer, that will be another tower crane.

Lots and lots of cranes this year. This could pass as a new year in the Chinese zodiac.

Excuse my ignorance, but why all this talk about tower cranes? What's so significant about their presence?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    And if the CoreBank tower moves forward this Summer, that will be another tower crane.
    What is the CoreBank tower? I searched threads and couldn't find any reference to it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    What is the CoreBank tower? I searched threads and couldn't find any reference to it.
    The Hub:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=45270

Quote Originally Posted by Hypon View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but why all this talk about tower cranes? What's so significant about their presence?
    Welcome to the site!

Construction cranes generally provide a look of prosperity for a city... Shows big things are in progress.

Thread Information