Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips Murrah (Midtown mixed use)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

So there you have it. If OKC would subsidize, I bet we'd have one.

To be fair, OKC subsidizes about 90% of downtown development projects with TIF. A grocery serving the residents (which would draw even more residents) seems like a worthy investment with a direct community benefit.

There is no reason why at least a CVS or Walgreens wouldn't be successful in Midtown or Deep Deuce.

Business district workers who don't live downtown would even frequent there on lunch breaks or after work to grab a light items or meds, I am sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    To be fair, OKC subsidizes about 90% of downtown development projects with TIF. A grocery serving the residents (which would draw even more residents) seems like a worthy investment with a direct community benefit.
    There have been two developments that have received significant TIF dollars that in turn then heavily subsidized markets in the downtown area and both of them failed (Native Roots and Midtown Market in the Edge).

And it's not remotely true that 90% of downtown development has received TIF. Maybe 10% at the most.

Not to get into another argument about TIF, but I don't think it's a good use of taxpayer money to heavily subsidize a grocery store downtown when it's already been illustrated there are plenty of other options like Dashmart, Kroger Delivery, tons of Instacart delivery options and a very nice Homeland store at 18th & Classen, which by the way, would have to compete with yet another subsidized business after going way out on a limb and putting a lot of their own money into that old store, something they did not have to do.

When you subsidize a business you hurt everyone who has done it on their own, and that doesn't just apply to grocery stores.

After the BILLIONS of public money that has been poured into downtown -- with another billion queued up for the Thunder and another billion for MAPS 4 -- what does it take to get developers to stand on their own two feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There have been two developments that have received significant TIF dollars that in turn then heavily subsidized markets in the downtown area and both of them failed (Native Roots and Midtown Market in the Edge).

And it's not remotely true that 90% of downtown development has received TIF. Maybe 10% at the most.

Not to get into another argument about TIF, but I don't think it's a good use of taxpayer money to heavily subsidize a grocery store downtown when it's already been illustrated there are plenty of other options like Dashmart, Kroger Delivery, tons of Instacart delivery options and a very nice Homeland store at 18th & Classen, which by the way, would have to compete with yet another subsidized business after going way out on a limb and putting a lot of their own money into that old store, something they did not have to do.

When you subsidize a business you hurt everyone who has done it on their own, and that doesn't just apply to grocery stores.

After the BILLIONS of public money that has been poured into downtown -- with another billion queued up for the Thunder and another billion for MAPS 4 -- what does it take to get developers to stand on their own two feet?
    That's a fair take. It's a very reasonable argument.

I think you would agree, however, that Native Roots and Midtown Market were eclectic grocery options at best, and that is being charitable. They were definitely not what most people view as conventional grocery options. The density wasn't there to support Native Roots, but it was also a bizarre approach to being a grocery store (I did support it).

Your strongest argument is that it's not "fair" to other grocers if a winning grocer receives subsidy. I ask, "why?" If there is an RFP, and Homeland, Whole Foods, Aldi, Trader Joe's and God forbid Pruett Foods are all given a fair shot at winning the bid, how is that different than any other city decision, such as determining who gets the right to develop Urban Renewal land?

Honestly such an RFP process would create competition and expand the horizons for downtown.

I think you are looking at this from a very Libertarian perspective. I see it differently. A full-service grocery store would absolutely kick-start downtown residential development to a much greater degree than anything we have seen. Further, a development including residential and a full-service grocery would be even more impactful.

Everyone on this forum understands how important a full-service grocery store would be in the evolution of our inner-city revival. I have been posting on this forum since the beginning of 2005, and we have been talking about a downtown grocery store the whole time I have been an OKC Talk member. If it's that important, why wouldn't we support subsidizing it? I would wholeheartedly support that without a second thought, just as I supported the subsidy for the Homeland at NE 36th and Lincoln.

I'm tired of the "that won't work here" view I see here and elsewhere. If that view were our reality, we would never have the Thunder, we wouldn't have the crazy amount of music venues we do now. We wouldn't have the amazing turnarounds in our city districts. We wouldn't have the two dozen-plus hotels downtown when we only had a handful 20 years ago. We made all of those things happen and it was much more than any of us thought possible. And, as a city, we keep raising the stakes with our riverfront development, museums, restaurants, and so much more.

Why would we suddenly buckle when the subject of a downtown grocery is raised? I mean, really, getting a downtown grocery store would be a breeze compared to landing an NBA franchise, or building a streetcar system, or building a massive urban park, or becoming a hotbed of Hollywood production.

It's just something we can pay for if we want. It's really that simple. We still have a lot of space compared to most cities, but that lot is super, super important, and if it's developed the right way, could absolutely be a game changer for the next 10-15 years in our city.........Or not.

I understand the current market dynamics may not favor a full-service downtown grocery store. But, I also remember that we were never going to get a Whole Foods in OKC until Aubrey McClendon decided to subsidize one with Chesapeake money. That happened and that Whole Foods has been an unmitigated success.

As we see proposed with Oak, and with the surprising success of Classen Curve, are we to believe that a thoughtful and ambitious developer couldn't make a symphony of that precious lot in Midtown? Why would we expect anything but something great?

If we want a downtown grocery store, and we believe it would be a major catalyst in the improvement of our city, why wouldn't we support it?

With GoGo Sushi empty I would have expected it to be even easier to pick up that lot. Bulldozing Kong's would be far from the worst thing to ever happen to midtown.

I also hope this development features some thoughtful landscaping. Midtown is severly lacking in tree cover as-is.

This lot is just as important as the City Garden lot, perhaps moreso since it includes a direct streetcar stop.

There needs to be a residential component to this.

8. Default Re: Midtown mixed use project

I agree, I love the development from an infill prospective but agree there should be a residential component. I agree the height is ok (remember, this is office so it will be tall) and love that there will be streetfront retail along 10th and wish it could also be along 9th and Hudson.

I also wish they could acquire Kongs and redevelop THAT as the residential component, imagine a mid or high-rise on that flatiron block fronting the street and roundabout with below grade parking (wouldn't need to be a lot) and streetfront retail. If they're planning and able to do this - then this block would be a home run in my opinion.

As for the grocery stores, downtown residents just need to speak up more. Downtown OKC Inc could lead the charge for one if there was a push from residents. And the city might help subsidize (even Downtown OKC Inc could subsidize I think) if residents demanded it. While 10,000 or so downtown residents may not be that much you have to consider that probably a 50% boost is on the way with currently announced development. Pete, you mentioned that most if not all downtown properties are doing well, so with the current build in 2-5 years OKC could have 15,000 residents; use THAT to convince an anchor Pharmacy and Grocery to come. IMO we need new to market urban retail in downtown, kind of a showcase if you will.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

These are renderings of this 5-story project from Phillips Murrah, the law firm that will be moving out of Corporate Tower and occupying the top three floors.

You can see multiple commercial spots along NW 10th. My understanding is there will be a parking structure to the south.

As previously mentioned, the architect is Fitzsimmons.

is this a mass timber development?

HangryHippo Guest

I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Monarch and less Memorial Rd.

Reserve judgment until more details and renderings are available.

You can see in the one rendering there is a large restaurant planned for the east end with a big patio on the corner.

The top three levels are slightly cantilevered on the north exposure.

Also, it looks like the SW corner of this property is being reserved for another multi-story building. I suspect what happens on the west end along Walker will hinge on them acquiring the Kong's building, if that should happen. I sure hope that happens and they can fill in that triangle near the roundabout which is now just a surface lot.

Fitzsimmons and Midtown Renaissance always do a great job and I expect this to be a high-quality development. And this may even be just a first phase.

Look at this image more closely.

1. I don't believe the restaurant and patio stretch all the way to Hudson. Looks like there may be another small building on the east end of this development.

2. Also, you can see the shadow of another multi-story building which would be on the corner of NW 9th & Walker.

3. I know for a fact they have been working hard to acquire the Kong's building, and they could do something cool on that triangular piece of property that fronts the roundabout.

I am 99% sure there will be a separate building or maybe even two on the east end of this property.

There is a big grade change in this area which is not addressed in the rendering above. I believe the patio to the east of the restaurant is actually a plaza and pedestrian passageway that might go all the way to 9th.

It seems their plan is to have buildings right up against Walker, Hudson and NW 10th. This could be an amazing multi-phased development.

Nice analysis, Pete. I don’t even think the renderings are that bad given the “first look” appearance of them. Having become familiar with Fitzsimmons over the years, I trust them to do good work, so I’m not worried about the lack of detail at this point. It’s nice just to have a visual reference.

Midtown Renaissance owns everything shown in green.

You can see there are still a bunch of un- and under-developed properties. Much more to come.

Here is the press release from Phillips Murray:

Phillips Murrah: Moving to Midtown

Phillips Murrah is excited to announce plans to relocate into a new office building to be constructed in the Midtown community, just a mile north of its current location in the Central Business District. The new corporate headquarters will include upgraded office amenities and workspaces designed to enhance collaboration and drive innovation.

The new, five-story office building’s design is intended to represent the vibrancy of the law firm, which will feature wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows and large interior and exterior open spaces. Phillips Murrah will occupy the top three floors, with the two floors below accommodating a restaurant and retail space.

“Phillips Murrah is continually tweaking its business model to address new and innovative ways of doing business, and this relocation project is the latest example,” said Phillips Murrah President and Managing Partner, Tom Wolfe. “The space will be reflective of the culture of the Firm while also being more convenient for clients.”

Midtown Motivation
    One of Phillips Murrah’s motives for moving further out into the community is to participate in and benefit from the vitality of Midtown.

“Phillips Murrah’s move further reinforces Midtown as Oklahoma City’s premier mixed-used district,” said Chris Fleming, project developer and Partner at Midtown Renaissance.“Forward-looking firms, like Phillips Murrah, choose to locate in Midtown because they want to engage in the community and office in a unique, well-designed space in a vibrant, walkable neighborhood full of award-winning restaurants, desirable housing options, and unique retail experiences.”

Fleming added that being located in Midtown helps companies recruit and retain talent because it is a place where people want to live, work, and play.

“Phillips Murrah will enhance the already exciting energy of Midtown and help drive future growth in the neighborhood,” he said.

Improvements By Design
    The Modern styled building will be constructed on several empty lots located near the intersection of 10th Street and Hudson Avenue, across the street from Fassler Hall. The brand-new, ground-up construction allows Phillips Murrah to work together with the builders and architects to include features reflective of the Firm’s culture and philosophy.

The interior plan includes modern collaborative work areas, generous social common spaces, and convenient, on-site parking access, all designed to better suit the Firm’s workplace and client service models.

Phillips Murrah’s leadership is also mindful of the changing nature of the workplace in a post-pandemic corporate world. To innovate in this area, flex offices will accommodate attorneys who wish to preserve the benefits of working remotely part of the time, and those who travel up from Phillips Murrah’s Dallas office.

Other features include the modern benefits of new construction related to the latest standards for energy efficiency and space utilization.

“This building design is further influenced to be sensitive to the context of its neighborhood,” explained Brian Fitzsimmons, project architect and founder of Fitzsimmons Architects, “utilizing masonry materials at the lower levels to compliment the lower-scale masonry buildings of Midtown, while also providing a consistent smaller-scale colonnade enhancing the pedestrian experience. The top three floors that are to become the offices of Phillips Murrah step forward and are set apart from the context, reflecting the progressive and innovative culture of the Firm.”

Presenting themselves as a singular form with a single tenant, the upper three floors face the street more directly, perching atop and reaching out from the base below and balancing an otherwise simple composition with just a few subtle moves, he added.

Construction will commence this summer with a move-in date projected for spring of 2024. Updates will be available at phillipsmurrah.com.

Construction on Phillips Murrah’s modern, mixed-use headquarters set to begin this summer with spring 2024 projected for move-in.
    (Below) The third floor of the new Phillips Murrah headquarters building will feature a large, outdoor patio that will be exclusive to the law firm. Located on the east side of the upper portion of the building, the patio will be a social gathering place with a direct view of the Oklahoma City skyline.

Blog Entries

Seems like there's a parking garage behind it to the south?

In general this is a win because it activates a vacant lot and adds to the density of the area. However, there is a sense of musical chairs about offices moving around inside the core. There is now a hole somewhere in the CBD and slightly less vibrancy there for restaurants, services and the like. A bigger win would have been for Phillip Murrah to have stayed put and for a firm currently located on Memorial Road or Northwest Expressway, or better yet a new-to-the-metro firm altogether to have set up shop here instead.

Still, I'll take it.

^

PM will be leaving Corporate Tower which is almost completely full.

And the landlords have a couple of years to find a replacement tenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Look at this image more closely.

1. I don't believe the restaurant and patio stretch all the way to Hudson. Looks like there may be another small building on the east end of this development.[...]
    I believe you're right. If you look closely at the rendering, you can see that the building is only as wide as 4 of the catenary wire support poles for the Streetcar - and if you compare to Google Maps, you can match up the location of those poles to get an idea of how wide this particular building will be. It looks like they're definitely planning a building to go on the corner lot of 10th & Hudson. Just guesstimating here but that corner lot will probably be in the neighborhood of 120' wide along 10th, with the space in the middle of the block used for this project for Phillips-Murrah.

^

Great detective work!

Also, something I should have mentioned from the outset: What tipped me off to these plans was a plat-split filed by Midtown Renaissance for this parcel, which is a sure sign something is about to happen.

Then after some searching, I found the lease with the law firm that mentioned a multi-story building and parking garage. When I contacted Phillips Murray they confirmed they were moving but said they would get back to me with details and the next thing I knew they posted the press release on their website.

The larger parcel was divided into 424 NW 10th, which is shown as the address on the Phillips Murray building (Tract 1). But there was also 420 NW 10th (Tract 2) which would be the lot on the corner of Hudson. That clearly indicates a separate building to the east.

And note in the image below, those addresses only apply to the properties fronting 10th. In that one rendering from above, you can clearly make out the outline of another building along Walker. Although it seems to be conceptual, you can discern their general plan. I'm sure they want to do everything they can to acquire the Kong's building before making any concrete decisions along Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Seems like there's a parking garage behind it to the south?
    Yes, I've said that from the very first post on this thread.

Blog Entries

Sorry missed that

Thread Information