Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Park Development

Default Liberty Park Development

Thought that this is neat and would share. It’s in early planning phases. I believe this would be a similar development as Carlton Landing, Wheeler Park, or Watercolor Seaside FL for example.
    They are hosting a design charrette this week each night.
    This would be a change from the typical subdivision developments that have been developed in this area

Appears to be 408 acres north and south along coffee creek between Coltrane and Sooner. Large swath of undeveloped land with existing trees.

https://instagram.com/libertyparkedm...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    https://libertyparkedmond.com/

Default Re: Liberty Park Development

"Return to the historic charm of yesteryear" as a tagline for development in Edmond is generally code for "keep out people of colour".

Or just simply return to neighborhoods built around walkability and not around cars. Older style homes with large front porches with no visible garages in front.. Community areas for parks and concerts. Just a community based development.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Or just simply return to neighborhoods built around walkability and not around cars. Older style homes with large front porches with no visible garages in front.. Community areas for parks and concerts. Just a community based development.
    You had me at "walkability".

Thought that this is neat and would share. It’s in early planning phases. I believe this would be a similar development as Carlton Landing, Wheeler Park, or Watercolor Seaside FL for example.
    They are hosting a design charrette this week each night.
    This would be a change from the typical subdivision developments that have been developed in this area

Appears to be 408 acres north and south along coffee creek between Covell and Sooner. Large swath of undeveloped land with existing trees.

https://instagram.com/libertyparkedm...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    https://libertyparkedmond.com/
    where is this going to be located ..??? sooner and covell are not parallel ..

is this going in north of coffee creek between coltrane and sooner??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    where is this going to be located ..??? sooner and covell are not parallel ..

is this going in north of coffee creek between coltrane and sooner??
    Yes, meant Coltrane!

They had advertised near covell and 35 so I had that in my mind
    My understanding is that is is basically all the undeveloped land 1/2 mile north and south of coffee creek between Coltrane and sooner

Yes, meant Coltrane!

They had advertised near covell and 35 so I had that in my mind
    My understanding is that is is basically all the undeveloped land 1/2 mile north and south of coffee creek between Coltrane and sooner
    very cool this should be a great development ..

very cool this should be a great development ..
    I’m very interested. I have been looking at this area for a move in about 5 years. Was looking at McCalebs upcoming Bison Ridge neighborhood at Douglas and Danforth, but will definitely have this on my list. Both should probably be in early phases by then.

I believe the home developers for Liberty Park is McGregor and massarossa which both build solid well built homes

First phases of this development were up for planning meeting. Looks like small lot lines very similar to wheeler park. IMG_9422.jpegIMG_9423.jpeg

https://agenda.edmondok.com:8086/doc...2E7%2E23%2Epdf

This proposal already has the Edmond NIMBY beehive buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by EdOkCounty View Post
    This proposal already has the Edmond NIMBY beehive buzzing.
    yes it does .... i live fairly close by and i am all for it and would consider moving there .. but there is going to be quite a bit of pushback

What's the controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamonjock View Post
    What's the controversy?
    Are you kidding? Lol Anything that isn’t a cookie cutter neighborhood or strip mall always gets pushback from Edmond NIKBYs. There’s some exceptions to that namely downtown development and to an extent I-35 corridor but even several developments along I-35 have been protested. Edmond NIMBYs have (successfully) taken specific developments to the ballots on Election Day to override the democratic process of our representative republic.

Always wins to low voter turnout and the culture of Edmond just scared of change.

What's the controversy?
    massive increase of density compared to the surrounding neighborhoods .. and it includes commercial which the surrounding neighborhood also do not ..

i hope this gets built but it is far from a certainty

massive increase of density compared to the surrounding neighborhoods .. and it includes commercial which the surrounding neighborhood also do not ..

i hope this gets built but it is far from a certainty
    Same story with every single development mirrored in this way. 18 on Fink. Proposed apartments at Covell and I-35. Walmart NM at Covell and Coltrane. Apartments at Memorial and I-35. Coffee Creek golf course redevelopment. Commercial development at Coffee Creek and Kelly. I mean I can go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Are you kidding? Lol Anything that isn’t a cookie cutter neighborhood or strip mall always gets pushback from Edmond NIKBYs. There’s some exceptions to that namely downtown development and to an extent I-35 corridor but even several developments along I-35 have been protested. Edmond NIMBYs have (successfully) taken specific developments to the ballots on Election Day to override the democratic process of our representative republic.

Always wins to low voter turnout and the culture of Edmond just scared of change.
    Beautifully said, PP. Edmond needs to figure out a way to silence the Nimby Jet Set if it's actually interested in landing cool $hit.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Beautifully said, PP. Edmond needs to figure out a way to silence the Nimby Jet Set if it's actually interested in landing cool $hit.
    I mean truth to be told I support the will of the people and I don’t want anyone silenced but I think the people of Edmond as a whole support these types of developments it’s just that a small but very loud and powerful voice details these projects far too often. But I get what you’re saying. Edmond has so much potential.

The real test will come when the east Edmond turnpike is proposed

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post

The real test will come when the east Edmond turnpike is proposed
    i think you mean the possible future north extension of the kickapoo??

that would likely not touch Edmond city limits at all

It would be just east though, no?

Edmond city limits goes all the way out to Choctaw road. The developments on east side are popping up like weeds. Going to be quick expansion eastward over the next 10-20 years.
    While the tollway expansion wouldn’t touch edmond city limits. It will be nearby.

Hopefully many new freeways will be planned and it’d be nice to see 14+ lane freeway at some point in the future. Long term thinking but the ROW needs to be preserved.

What's the controversy?
    Its not only single family homes on at least half acre lots. Deviate from that and someone will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    The council has approved some of these before but its a pretty low bar for citizens to get signatures for a ballot petition to overturn any zoning or site plan approval. And thats happend 2 or 3 times I think.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Its not only single family homes on at least half acre lots. Deviate from that and someone will complain.
    Edmond is not put together to have high density housing. We pretty much only have roadways on section lines. Anything greater than single family housing is going to have an impact on traffic. Most in Edmond don't really care if we land the hot new franchise at the local strip mall. We want quiet crime-free neighborhoods, big lots and quick access to the interstate. Anything not fitting htat mold is going to get push back.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Edmond is not put together to have high density housing. We pretty much only have roadways on section lines. Anything greater than single family housing is going to have an impact on traffic. Most in Edmond don't really care if we land the hot new franchise at the local strip mall. We want quiet crime-free neighborhoods, big lots and quick access to the interstate. Anything not fitting htat mold is going to get push back.
    All the more reason to be for developments like this Liberty Park, which has housing AND commercial development together. Meaning you may not have to get on Covell and add to traffic to pick up dinner, might be able to simply walk or bike there.

Dont forget, that hot new franchise in the local strip mall is what pays for police and roads. Single family homes do nothing for the city beside employ some people at the water, trash and electric divisions.

^^ I can see both sides of it. To me the big reality is that if the city approves this they need to put special effort into the traffic around there. The Covell/Sooner intersection is nice, but already feels at capacity at times. Sooner north of Covell needs to be widened, and the intersection of Covell and Coffee Creek needs turn lanes and such for this type of dense development. I'm not sure if it's typical to recapture some of this cost from the developers (or require the developers to do some of this widening) or if we already do, but if not I would love to see this type of stuff included in these developments.

Thread Information