Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

1. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanistPoke View Post
    I don't understand why OTA hasn't put up signs like that on the 3 lane sections already. Just the other day going into Tulsa there were 3 semi's going 60 MPH trying to pass each other for almost the entire portion between Bristow to the Sapulpa gate. Blocking every car from being able to pass or drive the actual posted speed limit.
    I absolutely love truckers except for this one issue - one passing the other at .001 MPH faster than the other.....

Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

I mean I wouldn't put it past OTA to dream up something like that, but does not seem practical at all. Where did you hear that from? Wouldn't make much financial sense to expand and rip up a section they just finished. 3 lanes each direction is fine, they just need to ticket and enforce a 'trucks in right two lanes only' policy. They don't need a 4th lane with a trucks only lane. Then you'd have trucks in all 4 lanes blocking everyone going 60 mph trying to pass each other at the speed of 0.1 MPH each haha.
    They won’t tear the road up. It’ll be an expansion on each side of the new road. I saw it in the description for the Driving Forward Program which said it included a design for future truck lanes to be installed and I called and they confirmed.

It would likely be an additional two lanes each way on its own facility if it’s anything like other truck lanes I’ve seen.

I've heard Gatz say many times he feels like this segment is one of the most important of the new build segments because he THINKS (I don't believe it will) it will pull traffic, specifically trucks, off I-35 and reduce congestion inside OKC by providing a 'faster' option around the urban core. The only way that would make sense would be if the northern terminus wasn't at the Turner and they planned to keep going north to hook back into I-35 between northern Edmond/Guthrie. Where the chose to do the interchange with the Turner, if they did do that they would obliterate Luther in the process. But I guess when did OTA care about stuff like that, just makes it more expense though.

I bet they'll start the acquisition process for land in 2024 - he's just saying that to keep from making people even more mad. Construction docs will take a year or two I'm sure but doesn't mean they aren't almost immediately going to start working on it just because the plows don't show up to start dirt/site work tomorrow.
    Not saying it isn't important bc it obviously is. The point in question was priority and simply by the amount of work needed to get the newer sections off the drawing board and into implementation is like you said 2-3 years from now. Priority to me is addressing the junctions they have identified, expand the turner to complete the 4 lanes along with JKP improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They won’t tear the road up. It’ll be an expansion on each side of the new road. I saw it in the description for the Driving Forward Program which said it included a design for future truck lanes to be installed and I called and they confirmed.

It would likely be an additional two lanes each way on its own facility if it’s anything like other truck lanes I’ve seen.
    That definitely feels unnecessary but OTA does love to spend money. I did relook at aerial maps and they do have some very wide right of way and looks like some of the bridges they did build to like 150 feet wide in that section from Bristow into Tulsa. If they really are planning to build something like how managed toll lanes work in Texas and other places with being completely separated I can only imagine how astronomical the cost for all the new on/off ramps, etc. need for completely separate areas. And if they weren't completely separated like that I don't really see the point in it either. There's not that much traffic - it does need to be 6 lanes all the way but not more than that and enforce the trucks in right 2 lanes only.

If they want to spend that I'd much rather see them dedicate the right of way to high speed rail. They have enough space for it and just allow OTA become a full fledged transit organization so they can profit off the rail line too and no political power struggle inside ODOT that way either. It wouldn't take a ton of modification on grade issues to likely be able to run a train 100+ mph along that right of way area if they buy up 150+ feet the entire way down to I-35 in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Not saying it isn't important bc it obviously is. The point in question was priority and simply by the amount of work needed to get the newer sections off the drawing board and into implementation is like you said 2-3 years from now. Priority to me is addressing the junctions they have identified, expand the turner to complete the 4 lanes along with JKP improvements.
    Yeah, I get it - just think Gatz was posturing a bit because he's trying to turn the heat down a bit with the Norman issues but that is one section they feel very strongly about. I don't happen to believe what they're doing is going to help whatsoever with getting any traffic off I-35 especially with no northern connect back to I-35.

Priority 1 absolutely should go to the Turner first and get it done. It's the most congested turnpike in the state and needs the upgrades. Being able to bump up the speed limit to 80 the entire way will be great too. I do hope that they start construction on this as soon as possible and get it done.

Adding ramps to existing facilities should definitely be priority 1B - it's stupid for OTA to not have more on/off ramps for the turnpikes in many areas. Like the Muskogee Turnpike could have a lot more usage if they have ramps on crossing roads past the BA to 51. That whole area around Oneta to Coweta is blowing up with new housing and you can't get on the turnpike anywhere except 51 in Coweta and when 51 and the turnpike merges in BA.

Yeah, I get it - just think Gatz was posturing a bit because he's trying to turn the heat down a bit with the Norman issues but that is one section they feel very strongly about. I don't happen to believe what they're doing is going to help whatsoever with getting any traffic off I-35 especially with no northern connect back to I-35.

Priority 1 absolutely should go to the Turner first and get it done. It's the most congested turnpike in the state and needs the upgrades. Being able to bump up the speed limit to 80 the entire way will be great too. I do hope that they start construction on this as soon as possible and get it done.

Adding ramps to existing facilities should definitely be priority 1B - it's stupid for OTA to not have more on/off ramps for the turnpikes in many areas. Like the Muskogee Turnpike could have a lot more usage if they have ramps on crossing roads past the BA to 51. That whole area around Oneta to Coweta is blowing up with new housing and you can't get on the turnpike anywhere except 51 in Coweta and when 51 and the turnpike merges in BA.
    100% also agree there should be a northern extension like you mentioned but I think they could guide it west of main Luther to avoid most homes and businesses in central Luther and get back to I35 like you mentioned. So many things could be added onto this overall 5B project but it would make it 8-10B but fun to think about.

It's too far east of I-35 to ever get thru traffic off the highway, IMO, even if they did ever extend it up to Guthrie or wherever. People don't even take TX-130 to bypass Austin, and that toll road is much closer to a much more congested stretch of I-35. On the other hand, I do think it'll work swimmingly to divert a lot of the traffic that is going from I-35 to I-40 or I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It's too far east of I-35 to ever get thru traffic off the highway, IMO, even if they did ever extend it up to Guthrie or wherever. People don't even take TX-130 to bypass Austin, and that toll road is much closer to a much more congested stretch of I-35. On the other hand, I do think it'll work swimmingly to divert a lot of the traffic that is going from I-35 to I-40 or I-44.
    I don't think it will either, I-35 congestion would have to get significantly worse for the amount of extra time it would take for someone to go that far east and then back west to I-35 to make it worth paying money to do so too.

There's can't be much regional traffic that uses I-35 to access I-40 or I-44 from the north or south. Only areas for be from like Ardmore coming north that would make sense. If someone is coming north from say DFW they're going over to 75 to go north before they take I-35. If their goal was to get somewhere northeast of OKC. I can't see how this segment really does much for alleviating regional congestion that funnels through the urban core now. The only benefit I really see for regional traffic flow would be Tulsa residents being able to access the Norman area faster for game days.

People don’t use the 130 because it’s a toll road. I bet usage would go up if TxDOT bought the road back and made it free to drive.

People don’t use the 130 because it’s a toll road. I bet usage would go up if TxDOT bought the road back and made it free to drive.
    Sure. But OTA isn’t about to make the Kickapoo a free road and ODOT isn’t about to buy it from them, thus my point still stands.

We drive to South Padre often and absolutely take 130. I have noticed over the last three years that traffic has become much heavier on it and there has been more infrastructure going up around the exits. However, avoiding Austin and all the traffic in and out of Austin on I35 is worth a whole lot more than avoiding OKC as it is not near as congested

Sure. But OTA isn’t about to make the Kickapoo a free road and ODOT isn’t about to buy it from them, thus my point still stands.
    I’m not saying it doesn’t but I’m saying there is a reason 130 is underused and it isn’t because it’s too far outside of the way of austin. Austin has seriously big city rush hour traffic. No city in Oklahoma has that including OKC for now. Though OKC will likely find itself in this situation at some point and perhaps that is when it would be more comparable.

any updates as to when we might know anything new on these projects? like an order and timelines?

i saw on BondBuyer (i don't have an account to read the whole article) that the OTA bonds are now priced as of october 17th.

lol

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/te...fic-up-over-25

millions of people use it currently and that number keeps going up

That’s not even 10,000 trucks a day. My point is more people would use this road if it were free and not Shunpike it by going through I 35 through downtown Austin you just love to argue.

I haven't been out that way much but l bet TX 130 will benefit hugely from the Tesla complex as well as other major employers recently going that direction.

New bonds have been issued to move these projects forward. It shouldn’t be too long now before we start to movement on some of these projects: https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-re...home-top-story

New bonds have been issued to move these projects forward. It shouldn’t be too long now before we start to movement on some of these projects: https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-re...home-top-story
    and sold at over 5% interest thanks to the worthless lawsuit that only delayed this it cost the OTA (are really the state/taxpayer) millions and millions of dollars in interest payments .. which will delay future turnpike expansion and upkeep.

20. Default Re: Access Oklahoma Turnpike Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and sold at over 5% interest thanks to the worthless lawsuit that only delayed this it cost the OTA (are really the state/taxpayer) millions and millions of dollars in interest payments .. which will delay future turnpike expansion and upkeep.
    Yeah people fighting for their homes is a worthless endeavor. Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    lol

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/te...fic-up-over-25

millions of people use it currently and that number keeps going up
    Yes. I use the 130 turnpike 2x per year driving to SAT and since the turnpike opened, I can notice an increase in traffic with each trip.

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    Yeah people fighting for their homes is a worthless endeavor. Give me a break.
    that was not what it was about .. considering the final route wasn't even chosen .. it was norman NIBMY

I think the East-West Connector will happen first, the south extension will happen later. there is also the possibility the south expanson gets pushed east of lake thunderbird and connects to I-35 South of Purcell

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoKegan View Post
    I think the East-West Connector will happen first, the south extension will happen later. there is also the possibility the south expanson gets pushed east of lake thunderbird and connects to I-35 South of Purcell
    the east-west connector from 35 to 44 needs to be one of the first things to happen. there has been a need for another and better way across the river for decades.

Totally agree with the above statement. I think just having the east/west connector in place could accomplish most of what they want the south expansion to do.

Thread Information