Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    A chef of that caliber probably isn't going to work in a shabby restaurant but my comment was directed at the whole debate around the phrase Michelin starred chef. Tom Brady never won a Super Bowl. He played on a team that won the Super Bowl. Super Bowl victories are awarded to the team. Anyone want to argue that Tom Brady isn't a Super Bowl winner?
    I understand what you are trying to say. The thing is they are presenting themselves as something they are not on both their website and press releases. It does not bode well for the success of their restaurant. The awards do not follow you from one restaurant to the next. I would love if they came in and help push the standard higher in the OKC restaurant scene.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink, and I leave it at that

There have been plenty of people in this market that have worked at Michelin starred places & for the chefs who got them those Michelin stars. Unless you're the executive chef/owner primarily responsible for achieving the Michelin star it's very misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryor Tiger View Post
    I'm working with these guys, the restaurant is looking really sharp and Chef King Dey and Josh Balan are trying very hard to bring something to OKC that is unique and I'm sure delicious. The interior decor is very fun and classy, can't wait for people to see it. Chef King has been a part of some great restaurant groups including the Lombardi group down in Dallas, Josh has ran some nice places in the UK. I hope the narrative starts to change a bit as the way I see it, 2 non OKC restauranteurs have taken quite an affinity for the OKC market and chose to move here to open up this concept and hopefully others to come because they believe it is the best place to be successful right now. With all the momentum, the James Beard awards, JK by Chef King should be another great step forward in our culinary space for OKC.
    Do you know what the menu will look like?

Their website says European, the press release says Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post

Even the website is contradictory - the front page of the website says Asian, but the About page says European.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Even the website is contradictory - the front page of the website says Asian, but the About page says European.
    The photos they sent with the press release are definitely Asian, with lots of raw fish.

It reference the menu on their website, but that link is inactive.

Regarding the Michelin Star maybe they were “JK”.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Regarding the Michelin Star maybe they were “JK”.
    You beautiful bastard, I will give you a kekw. You are just perfect..

Thanks? I think?

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    You beautiful bastard, I will give you a kekw. You are just perfect..
    Is that the equivalent of a message board Michelin Star?

Can I just say that I miss Blue's choppped brisket and beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post

Its an Asian Menu - will have Lunch and Dinner service. I can't really put out menu details but looking through what I've seen I think it will have a lot of unique and creative options, and there are dishes at all price points. Bar service should be a great experience with a good cocktail menu, long bar top with some soft seating behind it. Honestly the space is beautiful.. They have some loose ends to tie up and I'm rooting them on.

Noone on here, or really even me knows all the things going on behind the scenes of a project like this - but I can say they've created some solid relationships with local stakeholders and care about fitting into the OKC community.

13. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

That interior is...something.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Looks like Glamour 2.0

Looks like "Barbie" is the decorator here.

HangryHippo Guest

It looks fun and different from the 50 shades of beige or grey. And if the food is great, who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    It looks fun and different from the 50 shades of beige or grey. And if the food is great, who cares?
    You're talking to a bunch of people who opted to not eat at a place cause of the name.

OKCTalk has a higher proportion of uppity people (or those who think they are) than OKC as a whole. The slightest thing about an OKC restaurant that is even remotely off or not like that of a bustling metropolis sets their radars off.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    OKCTalk has a higher proportion of uppity people (or those who think they are) than OKC as a whole. The slightest thing about an OKC restaurant that is even remotely off or not like that of a bustling metropolis sets their radars off.
    I just think it's a terrible interior, lmao. I don't think it's going to make or break whether or not the restaurant succeeds, but there are enough small things that are off about this place that I would give it better than even odds of closing within two years of opening.

I just think it's a terrible interior, lmao. I don't think it's going to make or break whether or not the restaurant succeeds, but there are enough small things that are off about this place that I would give it better than even odds of closing within two years of opening.
    I know. But there are some who will use this as an excuse to not try the place, no matter how good the food is.

22. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Definitely going to use this place as a Date night. Food looks cool enough.

I kind of love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    You're talking to a bunch of people who opted to not eat at a place cause of the name.
    I thought it was because of the Glam AF sign! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I kind of love it.
    Yeah it’s weird and really different. I kinda dig it too. We have enough places that look like Mary eddy, the Jones, City state, packard, the mule, whiskey cake, oak and Orr, flint (for now) etc. If the food is decent I’m all in.

Thread Information