Widgets Magazine

Thread: Heartland Flyer Reivew

Default Heartland Flyer Reivew

I'm considering taking my first ever train in late July. Just a quick trip to Fort Worth on the Heartland Flyer and back. Anyone have a review/expectations you can share would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Heartland Flyer Reivew

Comfortable but slow. Don't expect too much from the snack bar. It's pretty scenic in the short stretch between Pauls Valley and Ardmore. I just wish it went to downtown Dallas instead of downtown Fort Worth, but you can take the Trinity Express train from FW to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by lobosolo View Post
    Comfortable but slow. Don't expect too much from the snack bar. It's pretty scenic in the short stretch between Pauls Valley and Ardmore. I just wish it went to downtown Dallas instead of downtown Fort Worth, but you can take the Trinity Express train from FW to Dallas.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if the train is a double decker type? Any seat better than another?

Only time I've been on a train in the US was Seattle to Portland and that was a great trip, super roomy and my seat faced my wifes seat and both reclined and had a ton of room between them.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if the train is a double decker type? Any seat better than another?
    Train is a double-decker, yes. Bottom seats are generally for those that can't climb upstairs as well (but are a couple steps down). I prefer the upper deck for views. Bring your own snacks and drinks for easier, tastier service...

I'm curious for those that have done this, when you got to Fort Worth, what services did you use? Rent a car, walk, uber? Does the DART connect anywhere close? I've wanted to do this as well, but have a young kid that needs a car seat, so I've been afraid we'd get there and only be able to do things within walking distance since cabs and ubers are probably not an option.

To expand upon this - expect a travel time *roughly* comparable to driving; Amtrak's timetable lists the total trip time as 4 hours 15 minutes. This includes a quick 5-10 minute stop in Ardmore where you can get off the train for some fresh air. The top speed of the train is 80 mph. The ride is smooth, you can choose your own seat, and the seats are large and comfortable, but there is no checked baggage service offered on this train; if you have any luggage you must bring it on board yourself. There is a luggage rack next to the stairwell on the lower level if you need it. The scenery through the Arbuckle Mountains, between Pauls Valley and Ardmore, is really pretty and the tracks parallel the Wa****a River for a few miles through the Big Canyon area. Going southbound towards Fort Worth, the best views will be on the right side of the train. There are usually only two or three Superliner (double-decker) coach cars on the train; except for a snack bar, no food or beverage services are offered. The snack bar is not bad, but the selection is somewhat limited; A digital copy of the menu can be found here: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...-Menu-1119.pdf. You are allowed to bring your own food and beverage on board as long as it is non-alcoholic - we've often brought along a small cooler of drinks and sandwiches. The Heartland Flyer's route ends in downtown Fort Worth at the Fort Worth Central Station; from this station you can transfer to the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter train to get to Dallas Union Station in downtown Dallas, or to the TEXRail commuter train to get to the DFW airport. Tickets for either of those services can be purchased from kiosks on the platform in Fort Worth. There are also city bus connections at most stops for both the TRE and TEXRail to get you almost anywhere you want/need to go in the Metroplex.

Parking around the station in OKC is VERY limited; I highly recommend using a taxi or car-sharing service (Lyft/Uber) to get to Santa Fe Station in the morning. If you do need to park there, there is a very small parking lot available on the north side of the station. It fills fast, though. The closest public garage is the Santa Fe Garage north of Main & E.K. Gaylord. There may or may not be parking still under the old Cox Convention Center directly across the street from Santa Fe Station in OKC - I seem to recall that they closed that garage to the public, though, so don't expect to be able to park there. Taxi or Lyft/Uber is the better option if you can. The station building itself is open for departures and arrivals, with a waiting room - the restoration work is gorgeous and worth checking out before you board your train.

Amtrak is one of the most relaxing and fun ways to travel around the US. I hope you enjoy your journey!

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    To expand upon this - expect a travel time *roughly* comparable to driving; Amtrak's timetable lists the total trip time as 4 hours 15 minutes. This includes a quick 5-10 minute stop in Ardmore where you can get off the train for some fresh air. The top speed of the train is 80 mph. The ride is smooth, you can choose your own seat, and the seats are large and comfortable, but there is no checked baggage service offered on this train; if you have any luggage you must bring it on board yourself. There is a luggage rack next to the stairwell on the lower level if you need it. The scenery through the Arbuckle Mountains, between Pauls Valley and Ardmore, is really pretty and the tracks parallel the Wa****a River for a few miles through the Big Canyon area. Going southbound towards Fort Worth, the best views will be on the right side of the train. There are usually only two or three Superliner (double-decker) coach cars on the train; except for a snack bar, no food or beverage services are offered. The snack bar is not bad, but the selection is somewhat limited; A digital copy of the menu can be found here: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...-Menu-1119.pdf. You are allowed to bring your own food and beverage on board as long as it is non-alcoholic - we've often brought along a small cooler of drinks and sandwiches. The Heartland Flyer's route ends in downtown Fort Worth at the Fort Worth Central Station; from this station you can transfer to the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) commuter train to get to Dallas Union Station in downtown Dallas, or to the TEXRail commuter train to get to the DFW airport. Tickets for either of those services can be purchased from kiosks on the platform in Fort Worth. There are also city bus connections at most stops for both the TRE and TEXRail to get you almost anywhere you want/need to go in the Metroplex.

Parking around the station in OKC is VERY limited; I highly recommend using a taxi or car-sharing service (Lyft/Uber) to get to Santa Fe Station in the morning. If you do need to park there, there is a very small parking lot available on the north side of the station. It fills fast, though. The closest public garage is the Santa Fe Garage north of Main & E.K. Gaylord. There may or may not be parking still under the old Cox Convention Center directly across the street from Santa Fe Station in OKC - I seem to recall that they closed that garage to the public, though, so don't expect to be able to park there. Taxi or Lyft/Uber is the better option if you can. The station building itself is open for departures and arrivals, with a waiting room - the restoration work is gorgeous and worth checking out before you board your train.

Amtrak is one of the most relaxing and fun ways to travel around the US. I hope you enjoy your journey!
    Wow! This is very helpful, thanks!!!

The train tracks run on the east side of the canyon/river, so sit in the seats on the west side of the train for the best views.

I take the Heartland Flyer somewhat regularly and always love it. I usually pick up breakfast and a coffee to eat on the train. I like to face the same way the train moves for viewing purposes. There’s some beautiful scenery along the way. Not sure what your plan is once you arrive, but the final destination is just 5-6 blocks from Sundance Square, which is a good urban area. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm curious for those that have done this, when you got to Fort Worth, what services did you use? Rent a car, walk, uber? Does the DART connect anywhere close? I've wanted to do this as well, but have a young kid that needs a car seat, so I've been afraid we'd get there and only be able to do things within walking distance since cabs and ubers are probably not an option.
    So DART only really operates in Dallas county, but you can transfer to a DART light rail line at Dallas Union Station by way of the TRE commuter train. Fort Worth's transit authority is the Trinity Metro, and while they don't operate any light rail lines, they do offer busses and the TEXRail commuter line between Fort Worth Central Station and the DFW Airport. There's also the A-Train operated by the Denton County Transit Authority (DCTA) that acts as an extension of DART's Green Line from the Trinity Mills DART station all the way up to downtown Denton.

For ticketing purposes, DART, Trinity Metro, and the DCTA all collaborate. If you want unrestricted freedom to ride any of the services offered by these transit authorities, purchase a regional day pass from a DART, TRE, or TEXRail kiosk for $12 (you have to buy this if you're taking the TRE from Fort Worth into Dallas County anyway). The regional day pass is valid until 3am the next day for all stops on the TRE, TEXRail, and A-Train, the Dallas Streetcar, all DART light rail lines and busses, all Trinity Metro busses, and all DCTA busses. It's a *killer* deal for $12 to get wherever you need in the DFW metro. Reduced fare is available as well for minors traveling with a parent/guardian, as well as those who are 65 years old or older or those who are disabled. Children under 5 are free.

I've used this several times to go see friends in the Dallas area, as well as attend concerts and conventions. Between the commuter rail, light rail, streetcar, and busses, I rarely find myself in need of a lyft/uber/taxi. It does require a little more coordination if I'm staying overnight, and the hotel is often not the cheapest possible, as I prefer to stay in hotels that are close to a transit station to take advantage of their network - but it's worth it imo. But I must admit I have no experience traveling with children, so... YMMV.

This is dead on but you can get alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    We did a weekend in the stockyards

I would like to ride this route some day.

If you're not familiar with Fort Worth, it's worth spending the day. The station is downtown, and you can walk to Sundance Square, which is a nice area with restaurants, near the historic courthouse. The Kimball Art Museum is first-rate, both for old-masters art and its own architecture -- that's a long walk (maybe a mile?) or a short Uber away. I've heard good things about other museums in the same area, but I haven't visited them.

If you're not familiar with Fort Worth, it's worth spending the day. The station is downtown, and you can walk to Sundance Square, which is a nice area with restaurants, near the historic courthouse. The Kimball Art Museum is first-rate, both for old-masters art and its own architecture -- that's a long walk (maybe a mile?) or a short Uber away. I've heard good things about other museums in the same area, but I haven't visited them.
    Yeah, for sure! There's a free bus route called "Molly the Trolley" that circles around downtown; it goes right through Sundance Square. https://ridetrinitymetro.org/routes/route-molly/ Also, the Fort Worth water gardens are also very close by Central Station, and that's neat to go see as well.

I was looking at a weekend in the DFW area for our family and saw something called Zipzone when looking at the TEXRail route map. Has anyone used the Zipzone service?

Thread Information