Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big 10?

Default Re: Big 10?

IMO if Notre Dame football joins the ACC in football the ACC lives on. If not, it won't. The ACC also holds a trump card over a depleted PAC 12 and Big 12 with basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    One of these conferences will be left out in the cold.

Now Oregon is the latest school who may defect to the Big 10..

There's only room for 3 super mega conferences. An ACC & Pac-12 scramble is on. Which among these might be more appealing.
    Not so much appealing to the fans but what appeals to the the stakeholders at ESPN/ABC and FOX Sports. Those folks are what determines everything from what time games start to who is in prime time.

3. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    IMO if Notre Dame football joins the ACC in football the ACC lives on. If not, it won't. The ACC also holds a trump card over a depleted PAC 12 and Big 12 with basketball.
    Basketball doesn't matter jack in this case. Football makes exponentially more money than basketball and this is all about chasing the $

Blog Entries

ACC basketball is in no way above the Big-12. And Oklahoma and Texas leaving does very little to change that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Basketball doesn't matter jack in this case. Football makes exponentially more money than basketball and this is all about chasing the $
    Not if the super conferences take over the tournament. That's the next bucket of money for them to go after.

No one can leave the Acc until 2036

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Wow, BoulderSooner, you're on to the trend...

Many events are tied to 2035 and beyond. Take for instance the contracts that WCWS softball has with Oklahoma City (2035) and CWS baseball with Omaha (2035).

All the major league cities, parks & stadiums are wanting in on the collegiate action like Globe Life Field Arlington NCAA baseball, NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME FOOTBALL rotation: State Farm Stadium, Glendale, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Hard Rock Stadium, Miami and Caesars Superdome, New Orleans, Mercedes-Benz, Atlanta all NFL venues except the Rose Bowl, Pasadena; basketball and even NCAA ice hockey dates are filled out. These stadiums & venues change names & sponsorships faster than cities can build them.

As soon as they figure out a way to wrestle away the mighty vice grips of the WCWS softball from OKC, it too along with baseball won't survive past 2035.

OKC, get ready to expand HOF (20,000) and build a retractable roof over this venue, it will be the only thing that can save this event beyond 2035.

8. Default Re: Big 10?

If the college football world decides to go with 3 super conferences and the ACC isn't one of them I bet that changes almost immediately.

If the college football world decides to go with 3 super conferences and the ACC isn't one of them I bet that changes almost immediately.
    Considering that half the league would be left out. It wouldn’t change.

There is a reason OU and Texas are still not in the sec until 2025

10. Default Re: Big 10?

Considering that half the league would be left out. It wouldn’t change.

There is a reason OU and Texas are still not in the sec until 2025
    But the top half would be left out of any chance of the playoffs. If the ACC stayed together they'd drop to something like the Group of Five conferences are now. And the 2025 deal for OU and UT was before the possibility of the Power Five conferences completely realigning. That will rewrite the conference contact rule book.

But the top half would be left out of any chance of the playoffs. If the ACC stayed together they'd drop to something like the Group of Five conferences are now. And the 2025 deal for OU and UT was before the possibility of the Power Five conferences completely realigning. That will rewrite the conference contact rule book.
    So what are you speculating for a 3 super conference make up that excludes ACC members? As far as the present 4 team playoff that deal expires in 2025. No use to speculate any team being left out. Post 2025 I'm going to go on a limb and say there will be more than 4 in any playoff.

12. Default Re: Big 10?

So what are you speculating for a 3 super conference make up that excludes ACC members? As far as the present 4 team playoff that deal expires in 2025. No use to speculate any team being left out. Post 2025 I'm going to go on a limb and say there will be more than 4 in any playoff.
    I agree there will be 8 or 16 teams in the playoffs. But if the ACC refuses to fold and let their teams join the Super 3 club they will be looked at as a second class conference by the selection committee. Like the Group of Five are now. The playoff committee will almost certainly not give wins over ACC teams the same weight as a Super 3 conference victory. So being in the ACC, if they continue to exist, will put those teams in a sort of limbo. I will be amazed if this doesn't end up a whole different world.

I agree there will be 8 or 16 teams in the playoffs. But if the ACC refuses to fold and let their teams join the Super 3 club they will be looked at as a second class conference by the selection committee. Like the Group of Five are now. The playoff committee will almost certainly not give wins over ACC teams the same weight as a Super 3 conference victory. So being in the ACC, if they continue to exist, will put those teams in a sort of limbo. I will be amazed if this doesn't end up a whole different world.
    I believe if there are 3, the ACC will one of them. Easier to add teams to that conference than to pry teams out.
    Last year the tv deals paid the ACC 240m, the Big12 200M. TV folks give more worth to the ACC.

No matter what happens I'm an OU fan. My school will be in a good place. What happsns to the B12 or PAC 10 is of little concern to me. I have no more feelings toward OSU than I do for Tulsa. I wish them both well.

15. Default Re: Big 10?

No matter what happens I'm an OU fan. My school will be in a good place. What happsns to the B12 or PAC 10 is of little concern to me. I have no more feelings toward OSU than I do for Tulsa. I wish them both well.
    I'm also a huge OU fan. I don't give much of a rat's about OSU. However if the remains of the Big 12 and PAC merge OSU should be one of the dominant teams in the new conference. Good for my OSU fan friends. Tulsa will probably get screwed. As will all of the Group of Five schools because there won't be as much reason for a Super 3 team to play the lower conference teams.

I think along with the number of conferences, we should also consider the number of teams in the overall "Super League". 64 teams could give us 4 conferences of 16 each, which is roughly what the Power 5 consisted of.

17. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think along with the number of conferences, we should also consider the number of teams in the overall "Super League". 64 teams could give us 4 conferences of 16 each, which is roughly what the Power 5 consisted of.
    There's already 16 team leagues. Every prediction of scenarios see 20 or more team conferences. And no more than 3. It could be that the accepted, knowledgeable national insiders predicting this don't know what they're talking about but if they do things in a very few years aren't going to look anything like they do now. And it's all about the money and the money makes sense for 3 Super Conference scenario.

It is a big 2. Big 10 and sec and then everyone else and they won’t change

I believe if there are 3, the ACC will one of them. Easier to add teams to that conference than to pry teams out.
    Last year the tv deals paid the ACC 240m, the Big12 200M. TV folks give more worth to the ACC.
    The ACC has somehow found themselves in a really bad spot. They are locked into a bad and getting worse tv contract until 2036. The schools are all locked in a GOR contract until 2036 as well. The ACC canÂ’t expand because that would involve a new GOR giving an opening for the top teams to leave for the SEC or B1G. Currently the teams in the ACC canÂ’t really leave and the conference itself canÂ’t expand. Really bad situation for them.

I think there will be 3 conferences when everything shakes out. B1G and SEC at the top paying out the big bucks and the Big 12 scooping up some teams from the PAC and ACC that the top 2 conferences donÂ’t want and being a serviceable yet distant third conference. It is kind of wild that the big 12 is most likely to survive all of this after constantly being on the brink of collapse for the past decade.

20. Default Re: Big 10?

I heard a new twist on FoxSports radio on the way home from a guy that's a respected SEC reporter. He believes that the SEC and BIG aren't finished expanding and might just swallow up all the decent football schools. Then leave the current playoff system and form their own. If this happens and the ACC makes schools stick to the current GOR the ACC schools are really screwed. I hate to believe that a conference would do that to their member schools. And the current GOR will be a joke if there ends up being 2 or 3 super conferences and the ACC isn't one of them because the ACC TV revenue, which this is all about, will be diddly squat.

The ACC has somehow found themselves in a really bad spot. They are locked into a bad and getting worse tv contract until 2036. The schools are all locked in a GOR contract until 2036 as well. The ACC canÂ’t expand because that would involve a new GOR giving an opening for the top teams to leave for the SEC or B1G. Currently the teams in the ACC canÂ’t really leave and the conference itself canÂ’t expand. Really bad situation for them.

I think there will be 3 conferences when everything shakes out. B1G and SEC at the top paying out the big bucks and the Big 12 scooping up some teams from the PAC and ACC that the top 2 conferences donÂ’t want and being a serviceable yet distant third conference. It is kind of wild that the big 12 is most likely to survive all of this after constantly being on the brink of collapse for the past decade.

Thread Information