Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big 10?

1. Default Big 10?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...pac-12-big-ten

ESPN is reporting that USC and UCLA are moving to the Big10. Sources say it's "immanent". If so and there was any truth to the idea that Riley bailed for an easier path to the championship that plan just backfired.

Default Re: Big 10?

Big 10 football is far inferior to the SEC.

But better than the old Big 12.

3. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Definitely not on par with the SEC. But a very mediocre USC could contend for championships in the PAC. Probably not so much in the Big 10. Ohio St, Michigan and Iowa are usually pretty solid. And others pop up and have strong seasons now and then.

wow... that's a crazy development. both institutions are aau members, so that part fits.

5. Default Re: Big 10?

I just thought about it but ESPN radio this morning was saying there are rumors that Oregon is talking to the Big 10. Could we really be heading towards 2 or 3 "super" conferences?

just thinking out loud... i wonder if this could eventually open up the possibility of colorado and utah joining the big xii. colorado would be rejoining and utah would be with their rival byu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    just thinking out loud... i wonder if this could eventually open up the possibility of colorado and utah joining the big xii. colorado would be rejoining and utah would be with their rival byu.
    I think the Big XII and Pac-12 will merge

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I just thought about it but ESPN radio this morning was saying there are rumors that Oregon is talking to the Big 10. Could we really be heading towards 2 or 3 "super" conferences?
    Yes. I expect the big football schools to form their own organization soon, possibly completely outside the NCAA which keeps proving they have no idea what they are doing or how to adapt to changing times.

And as much as all the outsiders threw stones at OU & Texas for switching conferences, both schools had the foresight to find a great landing spot.

Now, a huge game of musical chairs has been set in motion and a lot of schools are going to be left without a seat.

I could see Arizona and Arizona St jumping ship to the Big 12

That seems like the travel schedule from hell for UCLA and USC. The closest team is over a 3 hour flight, with an average in the ballpark around 4, and a max of 6.

looks like we will end up with a power 2,

if oregon and washington stay in the Pac 12 ... they will raid the big 12 ...

if they both leave as well .. then everything is on the table ..

13. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I could see Arizona and Arizona St jumping ship to the Big 12
    There are radio reports now that the Big12 is discussing "aggressively" pursuing some of the schools that would be left in the remains of the PAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

in TV money the Sec and BIG will be 50-70 mil dollars per school per year ahead of every one else ... and the BIG will likely be #1

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That seems like the travel schedule from hell for UCLA and USC. The closest team is over a 3 hour flight, with an average in the ballpark around 4, and a max of 6.
    But thats only really for like 4 games for football. Play all your non-con on the west coast, and 8 conf games- 4 at home 4 on the road.

But for basketball and other sports its going to be a nightmare.

I could see the BigXII and Pac-12 merging and forming a new super conference named The Western Conference, or something like that. All schools with the exception of West Virginia, UCF, and Cinci would be situated midwest and points west.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I could see the BigXII and Pac-12 merging and forming a new super conference named The Western Conference, or something like that. All schools with the exception of West Virginia, UCF, and Cinci would be situated midwest and points west.
    It would surprise me if WVU will stay once the GoR expires.
    It makes more economic sense to join the ACC and to compete against their closest rival, Pitt. The travel expenses would also be favorable.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 10?

Just remember that WV's climb to fame was beating Oklahoma in Norman 41-27 back in 1982. Since then, the Mountaineers have felt they could be as relevant in football as the Sooners.

NCAA Division I aspiring schools like WV and Boise State felt like their wins over OU was their springboard to bigger and better things.

Now this USC-UCLA planned jump to the BIG 10 is two California schools way of making their present known powered and partnered by the BIG 10 to challenge the SEC's acceptance of Texas & Oklahoma.

Biggest problem will be those East & West coast time zones--this free movement of schools from one conference to another is going to be problematic for Notre Dame. The 'Fighting Irish' will be forced to choose a football conference and get ready to take its knocks.

The NIL and the 'Super Conference' saga continues to get VERY INTERESTING.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Ohio isn't the midwest?

20. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    It would surprise me if WVU will stay once the GoR expires.
    It makes more economic sense to join the ACC and to compete against their closest rival, Pitt. The travel expenses would also be favorable.
    Most national sports talk suggests 3 super conferences at the end of all this. The ACC isn't on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    NCAA Division I aspiring schools like WV and Boise State felt like their wins over OU was their springboard to bigger and better things.

Biggest problem will be those East & West coast time zones--this free movement of schools from one conference to another is going to be problematic for Notre Dame. The 'Fighting Irish' will be forced to choose a football conference and get ready to take its knocks.
    he NIL and the 'Super Conference' saga continues to get VERY INTERESTING.
    Notre Dame is already a memberof the ACC except for football. Should they go into a conference it will be the ACC. WVU has a much deeper D! history than BSU and the fact that the travel schedule in the ACC would be vastly superior to a stretching into the Pacific time zone. The Big 12 would have nothing to offer WVU in either competition or better marques to play in if comparing to the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Most national sports talk suggests 3 super conferences at the end of all this. The ACC isn't on that list.
    I have also heard national pundits say 2 conferences, The Big 10 and SEC.

23. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I have also heard national pundits say 2 conferences, The Big 10 and SEC.
    I've heard that too but now nearly as much. Either way there's still no ACC.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 10?

One of these conferences will be left out in the cold.

Now Oregon is the latest school who may defect to the Big 10..

There's only room for 3 super mega conferences. An ACC & Pac-12 scramble is on. Which among these might be more appealing.

25. Default Re: Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    One of these conferences will be left out in the cold.

Now Oregon is the latest school who may defect to the Big 10..

There's only room for 3 super mega conferences. An ACC & Pac-12 scramble is on. Which among these might be more appealing.
    As far as appealing I don't know. As far as logical it makes the best sense for the remains of the Big 12 and PAC 12 to merge and for the ACC to divide between the Big 10, SEC and maybe the PAC-Big 12 merger whatever they call it.

But logic and college sports don't always go hand in hand.

Thread Information