Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Scattered showers and maybe a rumble or two of thunder across the Metro this morning. This should diminish by midday as the low level jet weakens. Would then expect another area of storms to form in the vicinity of OKC along the cold front around peak heating.

Storms have started to develop mostly just S of I-40. Should see coverage increase heading into the evening. Then things should calm down after sunset.

Anybody care to explain what is happening? The rain trends are basically the opposite of the models right now. Should we expect more rain to develop this evening or tonight?

Stillwater hasn't been left out this time. It's rained around 1.25" so far, this morning. The Tulsa area has been getting it, too.

Today most likely ends OKC’s 28 day streak of above normal temperatures, and 29 day streak of 90+ degree highs.

Lots of much-needed rainfall across the northern and central parts of the state. Hopefully the southern half gets some this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Today most likely ends OKC’s 28 day streak of above normal temperatures, and 29 day streak of 90+ degree highs.
    And after a couple of days, we go right back into the 100+ oven with no end in sight.

Really a bad situation for people on fixed incomes, those who don't have a/c, the people that work outside, plants and trees, livestock, crops and wildlife.

Not to mention, it drives people indoors which creates mental hardships.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And after a couple of days, we go right back into the 100+ oven with no end in sight.

Really a bad situation for people on fixed incomes, those who don't have a/c, the people that work outside, plants and trees, livestock, crops and wildlife.

Yeah, August is looking like another brutally hot month, unfortunately. I plan on starting off the August thread on Sunday Evening with a look at how this summer might ultimately stack up to the hottest summers in OKC history.

9. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I thank the stars every day that I replaced our system in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Yeah, August is looking like another brutally hot month, unfortunately. I plan on starting off the August thread on Sunday Evening with a look at how this summer might ultimately stack up to the hottest summers in OKC history.
    Widespread rain could keep the temps somewhat lower than they have been. Long-range models are showing potential storminess the weekend of August 6-7 and again the weekend of August 13-14. The heat index will be really bad though with the added moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Widespread rain could keep the temps somewhat lower than they have been. Long-range models are showing potential storminess the weekend of August 6-7 and again the weekend of August 13-14. The heat index will be really bad though with the added moisture.
    Oh please let this be true. I will suffer through the heat and humidity if it means more rainfall. It was depressing visiting the Ozarks in NE Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago; nothing like the site of crispy burned ferns and drought-stressed trees to remind you of hell on earth.

So, really good news that the area I visited has gotten about three inches or more out of this system. That part of the state had gone even longer than OKC since getting any rain. We have had a couple of pop-up storms here and there that have prevented us from becoming bone dry.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Oh please let this be true. I will suffer through the heat and humidity if it means more rainfall. It was depressing visiting the Ozarks in NE Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago; nothing like the site of crispy burned ferns and drought-stressed trees to remind you of hell on earth.

So, really good news that the area I visited has gotten about three inches or more out of this system. That part of the state had gone even longer than OKC since getting any rain. We have had a couple of pop-up storms here and there that have prevented us from becoming bone dry.
    Amazing what a couple days of decent rainfall can do, I already notice once-brown lawns have greened up in the Tulsa area.

Still lots of areas that have missed out so hopefully the next few rounds will be good for these areas, especially north of OKC in Kingfisher and Blaine counties. HRRR showing another storm complex moving across mostly northern OK in the overnight and early morning hours Saturday then redevelopment in south-central OK during the day with NE OK getting storms overnight Saturday into Sunday

Based this morning’s radar that last super dry corner of NE OK should go green with widespread storms moving through. Some additional storms now developing and moving north into south-central OK which is fantastic news as that area has been bone dry

Mostly rain and few storms rolling through northern OK this morning. This should be the last round. Very unusual system for late July with impressive rain totals in areas that really needed it. Unfortunate that southern OK missed out, and especially down into Texas where the drought continues to intensify. These kind of rain totals and temps are unheard of this time of year but were much needed!

Thread Information