Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

I walk every morning at 6 AM and the same houses are just pumping water onto their lawns.

And for the most part, it's completely futile.

Blog Entries

At this point I am just focused on keeping trees, flowers and shrubs watered.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    At this point I am just focused on keeping trees, flowers and shrubs watered.
    Trees can certainly die without rain for months and 100+ heat. Worried there will be many trees lost unless we get some relief soon, this is already a drier summer than 2011

I know, just spending so much money on watering. When we get to this drought status, I just reschedule my sprinklers to once per week just to keep the yard getting drinks during it's heat-induced hibernation.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I know, just spending so much money on watering. When we get to this drought status, I just reschedule my sprinklers to once per week just to keep the yard getting drinks during it's heat-induced hibernation.
    I have been testing out different watering levels to see what is most effective during this hot weather and drought. For my soil type and Bermuda grass, three inches a week seems to be working well. I water one inch three times a week. Also I water for about 5 minutes during the heat of the day just too give the grass a cool down.

For my soil type and fescue grass, I water 4 inches a week. 1.33 inches three days a week. I also give the fescue a 5 minute watering during the heat of the day to cool.

For me, this watering program is working well. If there are others trying to figure out what to do to keep their yards looking nice this might be a good starting place. Also do not forget to continue to feed the Bermuda as needed or all the water in the world will not make a difference.

On Sunday, my thermometer got up to 106 for the highest this summer.

OKC has an outside shot at hitting 110F tomorrow for the first time since 2012, and only the 12th time since records started being kept in November 1890. As is often the case when the heat gets this anomalous, it will likely depend on just how much the dewpoints can mix out during the mid/late afternoon hours. The all-time record high of 113F is likely just out of reach.

Here is a link to the various heat records in OKC.

Won't be long until we'll be adding 2022 to this list:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/climate-okc-heatwave

NWS has bumped the forecast high in OKC tomorrow to 110F.

GFS has OKC tying. Definitely going to make a run for the all-time, but will probably be short.

Here is HRRR

11. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Tomorrow's forecast temperature for Oklahoma City is higher than that for Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    Tomorrow's forecast temperature for Oklahoma City is higher than that for Las Vegas.
    According to my weather app they are both forecast at 111 degrees.

13. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I'll be in Vegas for a week next Tuesday.... So this is helping me get prepared.

A few locations across SW OK are already 1-2 degrees from 100F and it is 10:00am. I think we could see a decent area of temps reaching 115 down there.

So far this morning, OKC is tracking +6 degrees over yesterday, we'll see if this accelerates heading into lunchtime.

I read somewhere that it's supposed to still be over 100F after sundown, but I'm not sure if that was actual temps or heat index. Either way, yuck.

The latest GFS models are trying to bring some moisture and isolated storms over the state Thursday into Friday this week. Keep your fingers crossed. They are also showing the potential for a stalled front later the following week around the 30th that could bring a couple days of showers/storms and slightly cooler temps. The high pressure ridge also starts to shift eastward. So there is some hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is a link to the various heat records in OKC.

Won't be long until we'll be adding 2022 to this list:

https://www.weather.gov/oun/climate-okc-heatwave
    Oklahoma in July of 2011 was the hottest month, for any State, in American history. (It's measured statewide, which why AZ doesn't always win)

It was so insanely hot.

My sister lives in the UK with her husband and has said that the country has more or less shut down because they're just not equipped to deal with this kind of heat. Fortunately, she lives in a stone house that has done a decent job of keeping it at least a little bit cooler than a lot of other houses (77F in her house).

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    I read somewhere that it's supposed to still be over 100F after sundown, but I'm not sure if that was actual temps or heat index. Either way, yuck.
    This is the worst part. It's not like the desert where it cools off pretty quick when the sun goes down. It's like we're living in an oven and the light goes off occasionally. AC units still have to run all night since it's freaking 83 degrees for a LOW sometime around daybreak.

This sucks.

Local forecasts not showing any optimism for next week yet. Praying that it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    This is the worst part. It's not like the desert where it cools off pretty quick when the sun goes down. It's like we're living in an oven and the light goes off occasionally. AC units still have to run all night since it's freaking 83 degrees for a LOW sometime around daybreak.

This sucks.

Local forecasts not showing any optimism for next week yet. Praying that it changes.
    i think you are thinking of high desert maybe ..

... phoenix stays above 90 past midnight all summer long ..

palm springs stays above 100 until past midnight most of the summer ..

Whew, temperatures at personal weather stations located in the OKC metro are commonly between 110 and 112 degrees as of 4pm, 7/19/22.

Phone weather app showing 111 right now for Warr Acres and OKC.

Overnight 'low' is forecasted to be 88.

I don't think we drop below 80 until Wed night/Thur morning

It's brutal out there.

Thread Information