Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Starting tomorrow, we enter what may well end up being the most intense period yet of this ongoing heat wave. Would not be surprised at all to see 10-14 consecutive days of 100+ degree temperatures.
    The season(s) that immediately come to my mind are 2011/2012 when we were in a drought.
    I'll agree with the sentiment that if not for all of the rain we had this Spring, things would be absolutely dire considering we're starting to get there as it is. This heat dome is due, in part, to La Nina, correct?

We are rushing towards dire very quickly.

We aren't even halfway through July and everything is burned to a crisp.

I walk early every morning and see all these sprinkler systems running at full blast and the lawns are still yellow.

If your grass hasn't died yet, it will die in the next 2 weeks. Like SEMIweather said, brutal temps until probably August. I see some days near 110F next week.

Texas is absolutely roasting right now, would not be surprised to see rolling blackouts down there soon.

^

Does someone have the ability to compare this summer to 2011?

I know in 1980 we exceeded 100 50 times and this year feels very similar.

Ah, I didn't catch the end of the show with the OGE troll... Darn

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

KOCO social just posted a photo with Top 10 times with consecutive 100+ days

I was just talking to a friend of mine this morning about paying a ridiculous amount of money on their most recent water bill trying to keep their lawn in check. Not that I love watching my lawn get scorched, but it just isn't worth it to me to crank my water usage that much just so it looks more appealing. A total waste of water plus there's just it just seems unnatural to have a fluffy green lawn when we're dealing with days on end of extreme temps.

You could try a product called Hydretain to help maintain soil moisture to keep grass green. I bought some to try out. It’s supposed to allow cutting water usage on lawns by up to 50% and still keep the grass green.

^

I have worked very hard to get my lawn in great shape and I do all my own yard and garden work.

But seeing how this summer was shaping up, I decided a few weeks ago not to water my lawn. Not only would it be ridiculously expensive, but it's still going to be burned to hell.

I'm going to focus on saving my shrubs. The grass will recover once we get past this searing heatwave and get a bit of rain.

Plus, who wants to mow in this heat, I haven't water our grass one drop, only natural rain this year and it has kept me off my mower a considerable amount compared to my neighbor who waters daily, because he must have golf course quality grass!

^

2011 had 63 days over 100 in OKC. How many have there been this year?

12. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

So far I counted 3 in OKC? But about to add what appears to be 14 straight days.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    So far I counted 3 in OKC? But about to add what appears to be 14 straight days.
    So 2011 records should stand unless August/September are equally hot (possible but unlikely). Remember in 2011 the summer started already in a drought unlike this summer.

It’s such a crazy reversal from the past few summers that were fairly mild with no 100+ temps and consistent rainfall. But this usually happens once or twice a decade.

Drought outlook

I can't tell you how many ponds I watched dry up as each day passed in 2011. I'd still take this Summer over that one any day, but we do still have a ways to go as Pete said above (only halfway through July...).

Silver lining: Looks like I won't be mowing much more at all this season?

Drought has officially returned to Oklahoma after being mostly absent in early June. Luckily, unlike 2011, we weren't already in a drought heading into this next heat wave. This situation is much more dire in Texas which hadn't erased its earlier drought. Houston, Dallas and Austin are all seeing one of their hottest and driest summers on record.

This is getting rough. In the next ten days the lowest high will be 102 degrees in Sapulpa, with the highest high at 109. I'm used to seeing weeks like this in the summer, but usually there's a break here and there with a storm that comes through. I just need a pattern break for a bit, but it looks like that won't happen for a couple weeks at the very earliest.

About a month ago, I switched my walks to the mornings.

I started about 7:30 and have been gradually going earlier and earlier.

Today, I was out the door at 5:30 in the blessed AM. Looks like that will need to be the plan going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    This is getting rough. In the next ten days the lowest high will be 102 degrees in Sapulpa, with the highest high at 109. I'm used to seeing weeks like this in the summer, but usually there's a break here and there with a storm that comes through. I just need a pattern break for a bit, but it looks like that won't happen for a couple weeks at the very earliest.
    Models have been hinting at a stalled front bringing scattered storms around the 24th. Potentially some storms around this Sunday more likely toward Arkansas. Extreme heat in between

Tuesday is trending towards being one of the 20 hottest days in OKC history, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Woodward picked up 5" inches of rain this morning from a pop up storm. So there are some places getting rain in Oklahoma lol

Slight chances again Saturday night into Sunday, mainly favoring eastern OK into Arkansas as it looks right now
    Interesting such a heavy storm didn't need the heat of the afternoon to pop up. I wonder how unusual such storms are.

My backyard is well along in burning up:

^

Mine is quickly getting there and at this time last year it looked like Augusta National.

My next-door neighbor pumps his sprinklers every single morning and his yard doesn't look any better than mine, so I'm not going to waste the water and money.

Yes such a reversal from last summer with no 100+ temps and consistent rainfall all summer. Meanwhile the west was on fire with Denver choked with wildfire smoke for three straight months.

There are a few rain chances coming up but they remain slight and isolated. Kansas and Nebraska continue to get all of the rain coming from Colorado and it falls apart as it runs into the high pressure over OK

^

Mine is quickly getting there and at this time last year it looked like Augusta National.

My next-door neighbor pumps his sprinklers every single morning and his yard doesn't look any better than mine, so I'm not going to waste the water and money.
    Someone needs to remind him that mandatory odd/even watering (Stage 1) is now permanently in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    Someone needs to remind him that mandatory odd/even watering (Stage 1) is now permanently in effect.
    . . . not to mention that it's not "optimal" watering and not the best to establish/maintain a good root system. better to water less frequently but deeper.

Thread Information