Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    It's Oklahoma, it's summer, it's gonna be hot AF
    Most summers are hot, yes. However, I’m usually able to still get out and get chores done in the early morning or evening before it gets hot. Also, I’m usually interested in getting the boat out and hitting up the lake. However, this year is very much different. The water temps are already in the low 90’s at the lake I visit. Keep in mind, I have been boating up there for 8 years and the hottest I have seen the water is 88 deg at the end of august. Yes, summers in Oklahoma are hot, but it is dang near oppressive so far this summer and it’s zapping any energy I have to be outside…which is also unusual.

Got a good half inch in Yukon, nice rain.

OKC hit the jackpot with this one!

Hooray!

That came out of nowhere just when we needed it the most.

71 degrees outside right now. Wonderful

OKC got lucky, many places missed out on the rain/cooler temps. Typical summer storm coverage. The next chances come Tuesday-Wednesday with another frontal passage.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I know we’re right smack in the middle of summer still, but this has been one of the more hotter summers I can remember. June had a lot of triple digit temps and July doesn’t seem to be letting up either. Og&e bills are gonna be kicking everyone’s ass here for a while.
    Southwest Oklahoma had a lot of 100s in June but OKC didn't make it to 100 until July 5.

I bet you're richly blessed to not be around to remember how brutally hot the summer of 2011 was day after day. OKC never had so many days with 100 or better that summer. Even Sept. had around 5 days over 100. Sept. had a high of around 105. Old timers couldn't believe how persistently crazy hot it was all summer long.

The next year, 2012 was also a hot summer better to have missed out on, but wasn't as consistent about getting to a hundred or better every day. Some days, though, got incredibly hot with highs around 110-115. Sept. 2012 also had around 5 days into the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Southwest Oklahoma had a lot of 100s in June but OKC didn't make it to 100 until July 5.

I bet you're richly blessed to not be around to remember how brutally hot the summer of 2011 was day after day. Even Sept. had around 5 days over 100. Sept. had a high of around 105. OKC never had so many days with 100 or better that summer. Old timers couldn't believe how persistently crazy hot it was.

The next year, 2012 was also a hot summer better to have missed out on, but wasn't as consistent about getting to a hundred or better every day. Some days, though, got incredibly hot with highs around 110-115. Sept. 2012 also had around 5 days into the hundreds.
    The interesting thing about 2011 is that February was one of the coldest and snowiest on record. The all-time coldest temp in Oklahoma was recorded on Feb 10, 2011: -31 in Nowata. Tulsa set an all time record for daily snowfall on Feb 1

Paseo hasn’t had power since 4 something PM

Many parts of the state going on a month without significant rainfall. Drought creeping back in and only getting worse in Texas where it has been hotter and drier (with no end in sight)

11. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hooray!

That came out of nowhere just when we needed it the most.
    We were sitting inside our regular Friday night stop when the storm hit. I had left my front windows down maybe a half inch. My seats were soaked. But they'll dry and the rain was worth a wet butt.

Tuesday storm chances look pretty minimal, probably isolated similar to Friday. After a few days of slightly cooler and drier weather the ridge strengthens and hot/humid returns for the weekend into the next week. Outside of isolated storms the next good rain chance isn’t until around the 24th

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We were sitting inside our regular Friday night stop when the storm hit. I had left my front windows down maybe a half inch. My seats were soaked. But they'll dry and the rain was worth a wet butt.
    We were in Fish City marveling at the rain when I suddenly remembered we both had cracked our windows an inch or more! I rushed out into the pouring rain and rolled them up and waited a couple of minutes for a lull in the rain. When that happened, I jumped out and promptly had a wardrobe malfunction, via a belt that had come undone. By the time I got it fixed, it was pouring again and I was soaked when I got back inside the restaurant!

I don't think the airport recorded anything more than a trace on Friday. So technically it's been around 28 days for OKC with less than .25. I'm west by outlet mall and only got .06 Wiley Post had .27 I know many other parts got way more but I missed out

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I don't think the airport recorded anything more than a trace on Friday. So technically it's been around 28 days for OKC with less than .25. I'm west by outlet mall and only got .06 Wiley Post had .27 I know many other parts got way more but I missed out
    It poured hard at my office in Film Row

The Euro model is more optimistic than the GFS about rain chances Tuesday. I think it will be similar to Friday where any storms will be isolated and you should thank your lucky stars if you get one over your house.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I watched it on radar and the thunderstorm barely made it south of 240 before it drifted back up to the north... I picked up just about 0.2" and I'm 4 miles due east of the airport. The OKC East Mesonet site, near NE 4th and I-35, picked up 1.16" though.

18. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

"Record-setting dry weather over the last 30 days...of all the June 11-July 10 periods in the last 100 years, none have been drier than 2022's version. The previous record holder is from 1936, smack dab in the middle of the Dust Bowl. Click for embiggenation."

https://twitter.com/okmesonet/status...NKai4llma86xZQ

We had so much rain in the spring. All gone. Doesn't look like we are getting much rain for the rest of the month.

We had a lot of rain this spring, but it all fell over a grand total of like, 12 different days which with hindsight probably didn’t bode well for the summer lol. Just going to have to hope for an above-normal fall in terms of precip, or there will be grass fires galore once the windy season arrives again.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    "Record-setting dry weather over the last 30 days...of all the June 11-July 10 periods in the last 100 years, none have been drier than 2022's version. The previous record holder is from 1936, smack dab in the middle of the Dust Bowl. Click for embiggenation."

https://twitter.com/okmesonet/status...NKai4llma86xZQ

We had so much rain in the spring. All gone. Doesn't look like we are getting much rain for the rest of the month.
    Crazy how wet it was in late May and early June and then it just shut off. We should be thankful the spring was so wet or we would be a really bad drought situation like what Texas is experiencing.

The past two summers the subtropical high pressure ridge was parked more over the Mountain West which really dried things out there and caused a lot of wildfires. This is more of classic summer pattern with monsoon rains over the west and tropical moisture over the southeast and Florida. Definitely ready for that stubborn high to move so we can get some storms. There are indications that could happen the last week of July, keep your fingers crossed..

Some showers in northern OK this morning. They will dissipate but any leftover outflow boundaries could kick off storms later as the front moves south

Cooler temps behind the front but very little widespread rain. Going over a month without any rain in many areas and drought is intensifying. Models keep showing a potential pattern change toward the end of July. Keep your fingers crossed, wash your car, get out the voodoo doll, whatever it takes.

Curious for those with access to the data how this compares to 2011 so far?

23. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You have to be trolling. This is all you ever post about and the idea that 100+ weather is 'amazing' is ridiculous.
    LOL.... It's been pretty obvious for a while.

I love summer too and don't mind these 100 degree days a bit but this summer is taking a toll on my farm since my 40 acres never saw the one good rain we usually get each spring to fill things back up for us.... Even my rainwater catchment tanks are running out this year.

Starting tomorrow, we enter what may well end up being the most intense period yet of this ongoing heat wave. Would not be surprised at all to see 10-14 consecutive days of 100+ degree temperatures.

Woodward picked up 5" inches of rain this morning from a pop up storm. So there are some places getting rain in Oklahoma lol

Slight chances again Saturday night into Sunday, mainly favoring eastern OK into Arkansas as it looks right now

Thread Information