Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Loving this hot weather! My grass finally looks awesome because we are getting some good heat. Bermuda loves the heat as long as you water it about an inch a week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is there another city that sees near-zero temps in the winter (with the associated snow and ice) and then a long string of 100+ summer days?

I sure don't think so. For better or worse, this seems to be unique to OKC.
    Memphis, Little Rock, Nashville, Tulsa, Atlanta, To name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Memphis, Little Rock, Nashville, Tulsa, Atlanta, To name a few.
    How often does Atlanta see near zero temps?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How often does Atlanta see near zero temps?
    Coldest average low for OKC is 27 degrees in January. Average in Atlanta in January is 35.6. The record low for OKC is -17 and for Atlanta it’s -9. Near zero temps are rare but can happen in both places, slightly more common in OK due to the polar cold fronts coming down the Plains.

Models are hinting that the ridge will shift early next week which could bring better rain chances across OK from the northwest.

6. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Models are hinting that the ridge will shift early next week which could bring better rain chances across OK from the northwest.
    Bless us with rain models.

(Very small) silver linings - with southwest winds and virtually zero precip in the Metro for nearly a month and counting, the humidity isn’t terrible. In some ways I prefer this over the lower 90’s and miserable humidity we got for most of last summer, although it’s mostly splitting hairs lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    (Very small) silver linings - with southwest winds and virtually zero precip in the Metro for nearly a month and counting, the humidity isn’t terrible. In some ways I prefer this over the lower 90’s and miserable humidity we got for most of last summer, although it’s mostly splitting hairs lol.
    I go out walking every morning and as long as you get up early enough, it's really quite pleasant, especially with the breeze.

I try to be out the door no later than 6:30 AM rather than go at night, because it just never cools off until the sun has long been done.

9. Default Re: July 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I go out walking every morning and as long as you get up early enough, it's really quite pleasant, especially with the breeze.[
    Agreed... I'm usually out between 5:30 to 6:30 in the morning for my walk..... But I do my lawn work in the evening.... I am lucky in that my front and back yard are mostly shaded by 6 PM and that makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Is this still the case? Not seeing any mention of precipitation chances on the forecast sites I follow yet, at least for either the Tulsa area or OKC. I see that the heat index is 126 at Mesta Park down in OKC right now. I'm already over summer.

Tomorrow and Friday will be dangerous days across the state. Can't hardly go outside all day while the sun is up.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Is this still the case? Not seeing any mention of precipitation chances on the forecast sites I follow yet, at least for either the Tulsa area or OKC. I see that the heat index is 126 at Mesta Park down in OKC right now. I'm already over summer.

Tomorrow and Friday will be dangerous days across the state. Can't hardly go outside all day while the sun is up.
    Yes weak front coming through over the weekend will knock down the temps some with a stronger front coming through next week around Tuesday with better rain chances. There is even a possibility of getting some NW flow which would be awesome for bringing rain/storms this way.

I know we’re right smack in the middle of summer still, but this has been one of the more hotter summers I can remember. June had a lot of triple digit temps and July doesn’t seem to be letting up either. Og&e bills are gonna be kicking everyone’s ass here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I know we’re right smack in the middle of summer still, but this has been one of the more hotter summers I can remember. June had a lot of triple digit temps and July doesn’t seem to be letting up either. Og&e bills are gonna be kicking everyone’s ass here for a while.
    My electric bill is about 25% more than last year at the same time. Not too bad considering the wonderful weather we are having! I would rather pay a little more in electricity and have nice weather than pay less and it be cold and rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Officially, Oklahoma City didn't hit triple digits until this week... It's definitely our hottest summer overall since 2012, possibly 2011. That summer was brutal.

This will probably end up as our hottest summer since 2012. Outside chance it tops 2012 and is the hottest since 2011. Don’t think there’s any way we top 2011 (not that we’d want to) as we were getting fairly consistent triple-digit heat by mid-June that year.

Average high between 6/1 and 8/31 for the last 15 years:
    2021 - 89.5
    2020 - 90.6
    2019 - 90.4
    2018 - 90.8
    2017 - 90.3
    2016 - 92.5
    2015 - 90.6
    2014 - 90.5
    2013 - 90.9
    2012 - 95.5
    2011 - 100.7 (!!!)
    2010 - 93.4
    2009 - 91.8
    2008 - 92.4
    2007 - 90.2

Overall average - 92.0

It's Oklahoma, it's summer, it's gonna be hot AF

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Officially, Oklahoma City didn't hit triple digits until this week... It's definitely our hottest summer overall since 2012, possibly 2011. That summer was brutal.
    I moved to OKC July 2011 and was like WTF I had no clue OKC got this hot!!!! I grew up in San Antonio and never had a summer like that it was gnarly

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    It's Oklahoma, it's summer, it's gonna be hot AF
    This is pretty much the bottom line. Right now we are torching because we’ve got southwest winds bringing in air straight out of the desert. But even during our “cooler” summers, it’s usually because we have a consistent southeast wind which keeps temperatures somewhat lower, but also brings in a direct feed of Gulf moisture which tends to result in extremely high dewpoints and heat indices anyways. Very difficult not to have miserably hot and/or humid weather here between mid June and early September or so. If we get any sort of respite, it’s usually because we’re occasionally far enough north to get in on some periods of NW flow from the Rockies. Either that or there’s a hurricane in the Gulf which allows for NE flow (as an example, the last week of August 2017 was very nice here while Harvey was bearing down on Houston).

Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have weather way worse than here in the summer. It is horridly hot down there, and more humid. Kinda crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    My electric bill is about 25% more than last year at the same time. Not too bad considering the wonderful weather we are having! I would rather pay a little more in electricity and have nice weather than pay less and it be cold and rainy.
    Yeah I guess I would consider 70's to be "nice weather" but that's just me. I also don't mind hopping in the pool with a beer this time of year either though.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have weather way worse than here in the summer. It is horridly hot down there, and more humid. Kinda crazy.
    summer 2011 in OKC was insanely hot, hotter than any summer that I remember growing up in SA. Granted that as a kid/teenager I didn't pay much attention to how hot summers were I was outside all the time during that period of my life.

OKC summers are pretty similar to SA summers

I've also lived in NC, Seattle, and Las Vegas as an adult

Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are very similar to OKC heat index wise, the difference is they don't get our more-regular terrible winter days. They also don't get the crazy Spring winds we do. Honestly OKC is likely the #1 worst populated cities for weather in terms of negative impacts from every season.

Pop up showers and storms are possible this evening and even moreso for Friday evening across the state. Chances are low, but if you happen to be under one, you could expect brief heavy rain, maybe some gusty winds with collapsing storms.

nm

Sky is getting dark here in Warr Acres, hope it is the same in central OKC when I get home from work.

Thread Information