Widgets Magazine

Thread: BB-Q Chicken (Korean wings) on NW 150th.

Default BB-Q Chicken (Korean wings) on NW 150th.

We noticed this franchise going in the new shopping center just West of Penn, on NW 150th. They appear to have locations in quite a few states. Has anyone ever tried them?

This gives this area three Korean wing places, with Birdies being a few blocks away and K-Chick opening at NW 178th & Western.

We still miss Bon-Chon.

https://bbdotqchicken.com/menu/

Default Re: BB-Q Chicken (Korean wings) on NW 150th.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    We noticed this franchise going in the new shopping center just West of Penn, on NW 150th. They appear to have locations in quite a few states. Has anyone ever tried them?

This gives this area three Korean wing places, with Birdies being a few blocks away and K-Chick opening at NW 178th & Western.

We still miss Bon-Chon.

https://bbdotqchicken.com/menu/
    I drive by this daily and had no clue it was a chain. Looking at the menu it's certainly something I'll give a try.

I’ve had it at two different locations now, and absolutely loved it both times. Love Korean fried chicken, and they are legit. Never heard of K-chick. And after glancing at Birdie‘s menu, they don’t really seem like a Korean fried chicken place. You can pretty much get those sauce flavors anywhere. Hopefully, they got the crispiness down.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I’ve had it at two different locations now, and absolutely loved it both times. Love Korean fried chicken, and they are legit. Never heard of K-chick. And after glancing at Birdie‘s menu, they don’t really seem like a Korean fried chicken place. You can pretty much get those sauce flavors anywhere. Hopefully, they got the crispiness down.
    That's good to hear! We were already excited but this just increases the anticipation.

they have 12 in Texas, 7 of them in North Texas.

https://www.bbqchickeneats.com

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    they have 12 in Texas, 7 of them in North Texas.

https://www.bbqchickeneats.com
    We are going to be in the Korea Town in Carrolton in a month, literally in the same shopping center as BBQ chicken. If we haven't tried the one here by then, we'll probably check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    We are going to be in the Korea Town in Carrolton in a month, literally in the same shopping center as BBQ chicken. If we haven't tried the one here by then, we'll probably check it out.
    You should try it, either way, so you can have a comparison with the OKC location. Let us know.

Also, you should check out Ari in the same area. We’ve eaten at the one in Plano, and it’s probably my favorite AYCE Korean bbq joint.

You should try it, either way, so you can have a comparison with the OKC location. Let us know.

Also, you should check out Ari in the same area. We’ve eaten at the one in Plano, and it’s probably my favorite AYCE Korean bbq joint.
    The first time we went to Carrollton, we only went to the shopping center where BCD Tofu House and GEN Korean are. It wasn't until we got home that we realized all that other stuff was over there on the other side, by H-Mart. I'll look and see if Ari is one we've tried already. We love Korean food and a good AYCE Korean BBQ is one of our favorites.

There are at least three bakeries in the area around H-Mart and one of them in particular had a fantastic selection. We also like the 85 bakery on the other side of the turnpike.

ETA: We definately have not tried Ari, so that will probably be the first place we eat, that weekend.

I tried it in LA. Got kimchi fried rice and gang jeong chicken, which turns out is soy sauce. It was enjoyable.

BBQ Chicken is now doing a "soft opening" (meaning they aren't serving the full menu, yet) and we weren't impressed. There are some comments on a Facebook restaurant group that mostly agree with our experience. Too expensive. Too much batter, rather than chicken. Mostly uninspiring sauces, though the Gangnam Style was very good. Canned cola with ice, instead of a fountain. That could be something that just isn't installed yet. They have a ton of TV's on the wall, all showing sports or K-POP (God help me if I ever have to listen that crap again....) so I assume they will have beer at some point.

For Korean wings, K-Chick blows BBQ Chicken away and to be honest, I'd much rather have Buffalo Wild Wings than BBQ Chicken.

Like Birdies, it's one and out, for us. We won't be back.

Galbi (L) and Soy Garlic (R)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	306518054_10158382967366330_1604672922074200036_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	17658

Hot Mala (L) and Gangnam Style (R)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	306544261_10158382967581330_7804806945158771289_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	17659

Ok finally got to check out both places and wanted to come back and give my take. Again, I've had BB-Q Chicken in the DFW area a couple of times previously and loved it. But it has been several months, so I was ready to get my KFC fix. Tried K-Chick a month or so ago and I thought the wings were great. They were actually huge! Breading was pretty thin but still very crispy. Tried a few different flavors and was happy with all except the original crispy. Felt it was just a little bland. Overall, we were very happy with our food.

Went to BB-Q a few days ago after reading corwin's disappointing review. I was worried that Oklahomans might've screwed up a pretty popular and delicious chain. Well, I had a completely opposite experience. I thought the food was amazing as my previous experiences. Will agree that there is much more breading on their wings compared to K-Chick, but I actually like that. I love how crunchy the wings are even if they're doused in a sauce. There's definitely more meat on K-Chick wings but BB-Q wings were still of substantial size. Always significantly larger than your typical wing place like Wingstop or BWW. Tried a few flavors and the only one we weren't happy with was one we never tried, the Cheeseling. Heard that Koreans love it, so we gave it a shot. Wasn't terrible but will definitely be the last time we order it.

To summarize, I think there's room for both places. I think BB-Q has more flavors to choose from and I actually thought it was slightly cheaper than K-Chick. It's been a while since K-Chick, so I can't confirm the prices, and I'm too lazy to look it up. They're just slightly different from one another, and I think they'll both do really well. And from the traffic that I saw on random weeknights, I think they'll be fine. I just wish one would open further south, so we don't have to drive so far for KFC. The only other noticeable difference was that I thought the pickled radish at BB-Q had more flavor/sourness to it. Slight lean to BB-Q but I'll definitely go to K-Chick again. If anyone here hasn't tried KFC (Korean Fried Chicken), you need to go check either of these places out. In fact, you might not feel the same about regular wings ever again. I still love traditional buffalo wings from Wingstop, but I'll take KFC 10 out of 10 times.

Ok finally got to check out both places and wanted to come back and give my take. Again, I've had BB-Q Chicken in the DFW area a couple of times previously and loved it. But it has been several months, so I was ready to get my KFC fix. Tried K-Chick a month or so ago and I thought the wings were great. They were actually huge! Breading was pretty thin but still very crispy. Tried a few different flavors and was happy with all except the original crispy. Felt it was just a little bland. Overall, we were very happy with our food.

Went to BB-Q a few days ago after reading corwin's disappointing review. I was worried that Oklahomans might've screwed up a pretty popular and delicious chain. Well, I had a completely opposite experience. I thought the food was amazing as my previous experiences. Will agree that there is much more breading on their wings compared to K-Chick, but I actually like that. I love how crunchy the wings are even if they're doused in a sauce. There's definitely more meat on K-Chick wings but BB-Q wings were still of substantial size. Always significantly larger than your typical wing place like Wingstop or BWW. Tried a few flavors and the only one we weren't happy with was one we never tried, the Cheeseling. Heard that Koreans love it, so we gave it a shot. Wasn't terrible but will definitely be the last time we order it.

To summarize, I think there's room for both places. I think BB-Q has more flavors to choose from and I actually thought it was slightly cheaper than K-Chick. It's been a while since K-Chick, so I can't confirm the prices, and I'm too lazy to look it up. They're just slightly different from one another, and I think they'll both do really well. And from the traffic that I saw on random weeknights, I think they'll be fine. I just wish one would open further south, so we don't have to drive so far for KFC. The only other noticeable difference was that I thought the pickled radish at BB-Q had more flavor/sourness to it. Slight lean to BB-Q but I'll definitely go to K-Chick again. If anyone here hasn't tried KFC (Korean Fried Chicken), you need to go check either of these places out. In fact, you might not feel the same about regular wings ever again. I still love traditional buffalo wings from Wingstop, but I'll take KFC 10 out of 10 times.
    Good to hear you had a good experience.

We were there during their soft opening and it's very possible that our experience isn't representative of what they are doing now

We went to BB-Q Chicken about a week ago and were, overall, not impressed.
    Two people in our party got sick, one while still there and one on the drive back home.

I thought the wings were fine. I didn't really think there was anything special about them. The sides were good as well (e.g., the onion rings were crispy, not soggy). I wasn't a fan of their cheese (powdered cheese?) fries (I forgot the name of the dish).

The biggest thing for me (aside from members of our party getting sick) was the price. The four of us each got an entre, one non-water drink, and a couple sides for the table, all for a measly $115 after tip.

HangryHippo Guest

If your friend got sick at the restaurant, it wasn’t the food’s fault. Is that what you were implying?

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    If your friend got sick at the restaurant, it wasn’t the food’s fault. Is that what you were implying?
    Agreed, doesn't actual food poisoning take hours (sometimes up to a day or so) to manifest itself? Unless they were actually allergic to something they ate, which may cause the type of sickness you're implying, but I thought it usually had other symptoms instead (I'm allergic to peanuts, not deadly allergic, and it makes me super-tired and achy if I eat some, but I don't have an upset digestive system along with that).

(1) I didn't say their sickness was caused by food poisoning, but it is a plausible explanation.
    (1a) According to Johns Hopkins, "Someone might start to feel sick within an hour or two of eating or drinking contaminated food or liquid". Since we were there for over an hour and someone could "get sick within an hour...of eating...contaminated food", food poisoning is a plausible explanation.
    (1b) The two people of our party that ate the rice are the two that got sick. The two people that didn't eat the rice didn't get sick. That was the only food that was unique between the sick/non-sick people. (Obviously that is just a correlation, not causation. Again, I do not make a causation claim, only an observation of a correlation.)

(2) It could have also been a food sensitivity. Between the two people that got sick, the potential culprit for a food sensitivity is a dairy product. I do find it slightly less likely though, given that the presumed dish was a rice dish at an East Asian-style restaurant. (Milk is not a very common ingredient in Asian dishes considering (according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine) "Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, with 70 to 100 percent of people affected in these communities.") But maybe they do use milk in their rice for some reason?

(1b) and (2) might be a good explanation for it, if the 2 sick people have lactose intolerance. I do know of rice recipes that use milk, but no idea about theirs. And even a correlation can be enough for the brain to say "Nope, not doing that again", even if it wasn't truly the cause, bummer it happened... Honestly, the price would've been enough to make me sick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    (1) I didn't say their sickness was caused by food poisoning, but it is a plausible explanation.
    (1a) According to Johns Hopkins, "Someone might start to feel sick within an hour or two of eating or drinking contaminated food or liquid". Since we were there for over an hour and someone could "get sick within an hour...of eating...contaminated food", food poisoning is a plausible explanation.
    (1b) The two people of our party that ate the rice are the two that got sick. The two people that didn't eat the rice didn't get sick. That was the only food that was unique between the sick/non-sick people. (Obviously that is just a correlation, not causation. Again, I do not make a causation claim, only an observation of a correlation.)

(2) It could have also been a food sensitivity. Between the two people that got sick, the potential culprit for a food sensitivity is a dairy product. I do find it slightly less likely though, given that the presumed dish was a rice dish at an East Asian-style restaurant. (Milk is not a very common ingredient in Asian dishes considering (according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine) "Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, with 70 to 100 percent of people affected in these communities.") But maybe they do use milk in their rice for some reason?
    If other patrons weren’t getting sick after eating rice then it probably wasn’t food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If other patrons weren’t getting sick after eating rice then it probably wasn’t food poisoning.
    Probably just weak stomachs. If they are eating kimchi fried rice, but never had kimchi before, it can be a bit much.

They are Asian. And the rice was just steamed rice.

Blog Entries

That’s like saying New Yorkers can’t get sick on spicy New Mexican food because they are from North America.

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    They are Asian. And the rice was just steamed rice.
    Now I’m curious of what flavor wings they got. Because this might be the first time in history that I’ve heard of anyone getting sick from white rice, Asians at that.

23. Default Re: BB-Q Chicken (Korean wings) on NW 150th.

Well, I was wanting to try K*Chick, but google shows that it is "temporarily" closed. Oh well....

bb-q is just okay.

Thread Information