Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Current Job.....

Default Your Current Job.....

Love it?
    Hate it?
    Insipid?

I have a fun retirement, part time, job -which I really enjoy.

2. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

I love it enough that I could retire in 2024 but I'll probably sign on for another five year contract and stay until 2029.

Default Re: Your Current Job.....

Love it

4. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

Depends on which job.

My job during the week is burnout city

My job on the weekend at the farm is therapeutic.

I wish I could retire now... In my mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Ditto.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Same.

Retired - Love it.

REtired and yes I am trying to live the dream. I retired at age 50. Now if my knees where not bothering me and there was no covid, life would be much better. Loved the job I retired from. Why retired, well it is not one that many people over 50 can still do. My plan in retirement is/was to take care of my acreage(10 ac) and do some traveling. Ok I was able to get some traveling in before covid.

...would be better if it included a pension and health coverage both fully funded by the company!

How'd us laborers let company's shift these expenses on to our plate?

Anyone seeing companies providing COLAS to help their employees keep pace with a rising cost of living? Not me!

I like my job. It’s the people I have to tolerate that can make it excruciating at times.

like it (used to love it). After 37 years am determined to retire- will be gone in two months. Looking forward to rest, although hope it will be active/rest.

Love my work environment and generally like what I do.

14. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

I like my job overall. But, the constraints of not enough staff, doing more with less, is like drinking from a fire hose everyday. It's getting old and very tiring.

I retired at age 45.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    I like my job overall. But, the constraints of not enough staff, doing more with less, is like drinking from a fire hose everyday. It's getting old and very tiring.
    Pretty much the same at my job. I have had more “worst day of my career” days in the past 6 months than I have in the past 10+ years. The great aspects of my job (flexibility) have been overwhelmed by endless mandatory overtime and working short. We have hired so many junior people that simply do not care about the job at all, and it is heart breaking to see the significant drop in customer service quality as a result of that. It’s not even that they are new and just don’t know the job, the people we are hiring don’t want to know the job and don’t even pretend to care. Years ago, when we had a hiring class of 50 seats we would have 1,000 applicants. Now we have 25 applicants for that same
    50 open seats. We are hiring the bottom of the barrel.

It’s very depressing to see the company you have spent so much time at, be overrun by new people who don’t care one bit if the company (or job) is around in a year. I’m a long hauler, and it’s troubling to see how many people no longer care. They aren’t hurting themselves, they will move on to the next job. My career and retirement are at stake. As the quality of in-house work decreases the company will have a greater incentive to continue the cancer of outsourcing labor and cutting benefits.

17. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Pretty much the same at my job. I have had more “worst day of my career” days in the past 6 months than I have in the past 10+ years. The great aspects of my job (flexibility) have been overwhelmed by endless mandatory overtime and working short. We have hired so many junior people that simply do not care about the job at all, and it is heart breaking to see the significant drop in customer service quality as a result of that. It’s not even that they are new and just don’t know the job, the people we are hiring don’t want to know the job and don’t even pretend to care. Years ago, when we had a hiring class of 50 seats we would have 1,000 applicants. Now we have 25 applicants for that same

It’s very depressing to see the company you have spent so much time at, be overrun by new people who don’t care one bit if the company (or job) is around in a year. I’m a long hauler, and it’s troubling to see how many people no longer care. They aren’t hurting themselves, they will move on to the next job. My career and retirement are at stake. As the quality of in-house work decreases the company will have a greater incentive to continue the cancer of outsourcing labor and cutting benefits.
    Catch, Our jobs are within the same industry but from opposite ends. You made excellent points about the labor pool. Not many care and for those of us that do, I find it difficult to care that much all the time. I can't continue to carry the care load only on my shoulders. I have a 1/3rd of staff I should have. 3 of us producing what we can but still not enough. The fact I like what I do and made a career of it, is my incentive to keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I retired at age 45.
    Nice, what did you do for a living? Seems like that would be a pretty good age if one could financially afford it while you're still very active.

Neither love nor hate. I wouldn't do it for free, but I make good enough income that I wouldn't want to learn something new to make an equal amount. At this point in my late 30s I'm taking some investment swings to shave 5-10 years off of my retirement age, but if they don't work out, it wouldn't kill me to do this till I'm 65.

20. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Stories like this make me very glad I have the crew I have. The newest one has been there 4 years and is very good. The other 4 range from 9 to 20 years and none have plans of going anywhere. I'm very lucky. I also bend over backwards to accommodate their needs whether at work or time off, flexible schedules, etc. Plus for what we do we get paid better than market.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Nice, what did you do for a living? Seems like that would be a pretty good age if one could financially afford it while you're still very active.
    It's not the typical retirement that one would think. I have Stage IV colorectal cancer and my nerves in my hands and feet were permanently damaged from chemotherapy. Because of this, I was able to qualify for SSDI.

HangryHippo Guest

It's not the typical retirement that one would think. I have Stage IV colorectal cancer and my nerves in my hands and feet were permanently damaged from chemotherapy. Because of this, I was able to qualify for SSDI.
    Damn, Brett. Very sorry to hear this.

23. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Damn, Brett. Very sorry to hear this.
    Oh wow, not the happy retirement we were thinking of here. Truly sorry to hear that

24. Default Re: Your Current Job.....

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you well. If I do retire earlier than I'd like it will be on disability. In Aug 2018 I had both hips replaced 3 weeks apart. This was after 3 years of mis-diagnosis from a double handful of doctors. By the time a Physician's Assistant finally decided to take a X-Ray lower than my spine it was an "Oh s**t" moment. She made us wait for the Doctor to finish a surgery because "He will want to see this ASAP". c I had been hobbling on a jagged bone where the ball used to be sticking into a jagged hole where the socket used to be on both sides. It caused a lot of irreparable damage. I can walk fine now but I can't feel areas from the waist down and those areas I can feel I wish I couldn't because they hurt like h**l constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    ...would be better if it included a pension and health coverage both fully funded by the company!

How'd us laborers let company's shift these expenses on to our plate?

Anyone seeing companies providing COLAS to help their employees keep pace with a rising cost of living? Not me!
    Its not all the employers fault. Healthcare costs in the US is a cluster@##. When you consider the value the benefits that some companies provide, there is a huge difference in compensation between workers in different industries.

Thread Information