Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best Burgers in OKC

Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Blows out the El Reno spots? What? You are the only person who has ever made that claim.

I guess it's entirely possible that the last two visits to Tucker's, at two separate locations, both within the last three months, were flukes. Who knows? My burger was most definitely not caramelized, the onions were just oily and half done, and the burger was greasy. The meat did not taste like prime beef and was not well seasoned.

I have been to Tucker's 10 times since it opened and it has never once rated as high as Sid's in El Reno. Different strokes for different folks.
    Not sure if Roberts is still around I never had it

Like I always “IMO” because it’s just that, I’ve always thought both El Reno spots were just ok but not worth the trip when I have tuckers right down the street on NW23rd

My wife is an okie and spent her entire life in western OK and OKC and she said Sid’s, Roberts and Johnny’s in El Reno has great slaw dogs but said the burgers were not as good as tuckers in her opinion

Not sure if Roberts is still around I’ve never had their burgers and I’ve never been to Nics but everyone I know says it’s one the best burgers they have had if not the best

Oklahoma onion burgers are suppose to be greasy haha

2. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    Not sure if Roberts is still around I never had it
    Ate there about 3 weeks ago and it was still there.

Also, scratch my earlier comment about Arnold's in Tulsa. A repeat visit was not as good. I mean, still a very good drug-store burger, but not the mouthwatering version I had a few months ago.
    I hate it when that happens. I grew up in the Tulsa area and Harden's was the place to go to. The best burger I ever had and you couldn't tell me otherwise. This was in the late 80's, early 90's. Went back six years ago to their new location and it wasn't anything like I remembered it. My friend that I went with said it went downhill, but it might have been that my tastes changed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    Claud's or Webber's are my wife and I's choice for Tulsa burgers. I'm a Claud's feller and she's a Webber's gal. Different strokes. Both very good burgers last we checked (which has been awhile).
    Does Weber's make their own Root Beer?

that store next to the crows roost bar at fort cobb by the motel has awesome burgers. I have an aunt that lives on the lake and every time we go there we get a burger.

been a few years since I've been wonder if it is still there?

that store next to the crows roost bar at fort cobb by the motel has awesome burgers. I have an aunt that lives on the lake and every time we go there we get a burger.

been a few years since I've been wonder if it is still there?
    Are you talking about the Ski-Boy? They're okay, really there is no competition for them. The last couple of times we were out there the service has been super slow and not the most friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Are you talking about the Ski-Boy? They're okay, really there is no competition for them. The last couple of times we were out there the service has been super slow and not the most friendly.
    not sure what the name is but its right next to the crows roost and next to the little motel.

I've always thought that was an amazing burger

edit: no it is not ski boy the place I am talking about is at the lake by the bar which is by the motel called easter's side motel

thought it was fort cobb lake store but that isn't it oh well

not sure what the name is but its right next to the crows roost and next to the little motel.

I've always thought that was an amazing burger
    Oh, I know what you are talking about now. I haven't had that place. The Ski-Boy is actually south of the lake as you get into Fort Cobb town. My wife, who grew up in western OK, has no recollection of a place next to that bar. She has only ever known of getting burgers at the Ski-Boy when at Fort Cobb Lake

Oh, I know what you are talking about now. I haven't had that place. The Ski-Boy is actually south of the lake as you get into Fort Cobb town. My wife, who grew up in western OK, has no recollection of a place next to that bar. She has only ever known of getting burgers at the Ski-Boy when at Fort Cobb Lake
    the only reason I know about it is because I've stayed at the motel next to the little dive bar that is next to the store and they have breakfast etc and would let me order a cheeseburger for breakfast but like i said it has been years since I've been.

Just talked to my aunt that lives in at the lake and she said it was called the crows roost store which is no longer there

I remember a place that burned down maybe that was it

Does Weber's make their own Root Beer?
    Yes they do. I just saw that the 5th generation is took the helm in the beginning of 2022. I haven't been since then, but I'd figure being the 5th generation of the family ownership sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    Yes they do. I just saw that the 5th generation is took the helm in the beginning of 2022. I haven't been since then, but I'd figure being the 5th generation of the family ownership sounds promising.
    Good deal, I will put it on the list for our next trip to Tulsa.

No. Sid's grills them with the burger, not in the burger, as does Johnny's in El Reno. It's just that they do it better than Tucker's, and I have a hunch why My Tucker's burger was uber greasy and the meat didn't taste as good. Tucker's doesn't cook the onions long enough to get them properly caramelized, or the burger for that matter. Sid's uses very thin patties which get a crispy texture along with the caramelized onions on the grill. Because of this, they don't ooze with grease when they're served, as Tucker's do. Onion burgers shouldn't be dripping with grease when they're served and the patties should be slightly caramelized, along with the onions.

Nic's is much more like the El Reno approach but with much bigger burgers. It's a different animal, but they do get the onions wonderfully caramelized and their meat is just delicious.
    I dont think Tuckers slices their onions as fine as the El Reno joints, therefore their onions dont get cooked as thorough. Sometimes you get some tough pieces of onions in their burgers where the others have very thin cooked and sometimes crispy onions. Both are typically good though, but I'm partial to the OGs.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I dont think Tuckers slices their onions as fine as the El Reno joints, therefore their onions dont get cooked as thorough. Sometimes you get some tough pieces of onions in their burgers where the others have very thin cooked and sometimes crispy onions. Both are typically good though, but I'm partial to the OGs.
    I completely disagree and you can look at pics on IG and on Google

We are having tuckers delivered now, I’ll post a pic

Granted, when it comes to food it’s all subjective and opinion based and I respect all opinions

I had a burger from Nics on Robinson with my brother and his wife he said the original Nics was way better and I thought the burger at Nics place was really good.

I really want to try the onion burger at the original Nics

Tuckers hot and fresh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE1A7069-7FF1-4D3A-BB9D-30722F2E1A83.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	17534

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190DE87C-F3AB-46AB-89C0-280EC8B1F7D2.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	17535

Perfectly caramelized onions!

I just had for the first time and onion burger at Nick‘s off of Pennsylvania. That was a f@cking burger. One of the best I’ve ever had. It might just be the best burger I’ve had to date.

I still contend the burger I had at Bunny’s pretty good. Nowhere near Nics though. I plan on trying Sids tomorrow on my way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I just had for the first time and onion burger at Nick‘s off of Pennsylvania. That was a f@cking burger. One of the best I’ve ever had. It might just be the best burger I’ve had to date.

I still contend the burger I had at Bunny’s pretty good. Nowhere near Nics though. I plan on trying Sids tomorrow on my way out.
    Awesome, looking forward to trying both places

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I keep hearing about Bar Arbolada but from the typical Oklahoman type sources. Pete have you been there? Any truth to their quality of burgers?
    Not Pete, but we went there tonight before seeing Neptune Frost at Rodeo on Film Row, and can attest that they're pretty damn good. It's like if there was an ideal Steak'n'Shake or Freddy's burger that was on a pedestal somewhere that both of those copied, but Arbolada has the one on the pedestal. Two skinny patties with crispy edges, everything's in perfect proportions (mustard, ketchup, onions, 2-3 pickle slices, cheese, bun, patties), and the taste of the patties is fantastic. Fries are the same way - on a pedestal that McD's copied. I've never had fries anywhere that were too hot to pick up, but these were and they were super-crispy. All in all, one of the best burgers in OKC (dunno about America, but certainly OKC).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Not Pete, but we went there tonight before seeing Neptune Frost at Rodeo on Film Row, and can attest that they're pretty damn good. It's like if there was an ideal Steak'n'Shake or Freddy's burger that was on a pedestal somewhere that both of those copied, but Arbolada has the one on the pedestal. Two skinny patties with crispy edges, everything's in perfect proportions (mustard, ketchup, onions, 2-3 pickle slices, cheese, bun, patties), and the taste of the patties is fantastic. Fries are the same way - on a pedestal that McD's copied. I've never had fries anywhere that were too hot to pick up, but these were and they were super-crispy. All in all, one of the best burgers in OKC (dunno about America, but certainly OKC).
    We were there as well before the Flatland Calvary concert. I've had their burger more times than I count, and it's still my favorite no frills burger in the city.

Thread Information