Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Burgers in OKC

Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    ^^^^ New State is a great burger but my favorite is Tuckers with double meat, double cheese, ketchup and mayo and no lettuce or tomato

Haven't had burger punk which is weird since it is 4 blocks from my casa
    You live close to us, we're in Venice. Burger Punk is all right, nothing special IMO. They couldn't figure out my whiskey flight order (gave me the basic one instead of the one I ordered), and gave my wife "spiked" tea (w/vodka) instead of "unsweet" tea, so the service wasn't great and the food was just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    You live close to us, we're in Venice. Burger Punk is all right, nothing special IMO. They couldn't figure out my whiskey flight order (gave me the basic one instead of the one I ordered), and gave my wife "spiked" tea (w/vodka) instead of "unsweet" tea, so the service wasn't great and the food was just OK.
    I live in paseo/central park, Venice is way over by sheppard mall between may and villa right? I'm between shartel and dewey

good to know about burger punk, I will still try them one of these days maybe after a trip to the bodega

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    So only an onion burger can be a best burger?
    Ha, good point... For me the best burger is a theta, but I've been searching for a good one ever since Irma's closed. Their sauce was great, best theta sauce I've ever had (and their burgers are the best I've had in OKC, but Lipsmackers (RIP) was second). Ones I've had that don't do it - Patty Wagon, S&B, Burger Punk, Johnnie's. It either has BBQ sauce on it, or the "hickory/theta" sauce is too BBQ-y, tomato-y, not enough smoky taste, whatever, they just don't measure up to Irma's. Found out RePublic has one while poking around, need to try it, theirs is a porter-hickory sauce.

Interesting article about the origin of theta sauce, knew some of it, but not the info before Split-T - https://www.oklahoman.com/story/ente...d/60532743007/

Also, forgot about Red Rooster - their burger is pretty good, need to build my own next time, better than Burger Punk's down the street.

I live in paseo/central park, Venice is way over by sheppard mall between may and villa right? I'm between shartel and dewey

good to know about burger punk, I will still try them one of these days maybe after a trip to the bodega
    Venice is 30th-36th, May-Villa. "Close" to me is able to get somewhere in less than 5 minutes, and the Paseo fits the bill. That bodega has a very nice beer selection, and we thought the cakes would be good since the description and ingredients looked interesting, but they just don't have enough taste. When you go to Burger Punk, make sure they hear your order clearly and repeat it back to you, and your visit will be good.

We ate there and it was pretty good, we thought the fries were decent, we don't remember seeing the fried banana peppers, and their menu doesn't have them listed, so I guess they don't do them anymore.
    Just had them last week. May be on their bar menu!

Quote Originally Posted by gqandy405 View Post
    Just had them last week. May be on their bar menu!
    Their online menu only has one page of food, no bar menu, so that may be the case. We'll have to ask next time we're there, we want to try their burgers again, thx.

Venice is 30th-36th, May-Villa. "Close" to me is able to get somewhere in less than 5 minutes, and the Paseo fits the bill. That bodega has a very nice beer selection, and we thought the cakes would be good since the description and ingredients looked interesting, but they just don't have enough taste. When you go to Burger Punk, make sure they hear your order clearly and repeat it back to you, and your visit will be good.
    the cakes are not good at all haha, my wife bought one and we threw it away. I guess when I think of close it is walking distance and as far as driving you are correct that is a quick drive.

8. Default Re: Best Burgers in OKC

I’m not saying it should necessarily be in the “best burger in OKC” coversation, but as long as we are talking about really good ones the burger at Earl’s Rib Palace of all places is really underrated. In the best burger category my personal favorite of late is the one at Arbolada.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’m not saying it should necessarily be in the “best burger in OKC” coversation, but as long as we are talking about really good ones the burger at Earl’s Rib Palace of all places is really underrated. In the best burger category my personal favorite of late is the one at Arbolada.
    I second this for the burger at Earl's, I end up ordering their burger 90% to 95% of the time I visit Earl's.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i might have made one or two of these in my lifetime...

slice the onions as thin as possible, preferably with a tool such as a mandoline. take a portion of ground beef (80% lean, patted into a ball), salt one side, and place the seasoned side on a griddle. season the other side and place a portion of onions on top. with a weighted press or large spatula, press the onions into the meat until you have a patty around 1/2" thick. leave the first side to brown on the griddle, around 3 minutes. the burger will release more easily when sufficiently browned. flip the burger and top with cheese, if desired. allow the second side to cook for around another 2-3 minutes. the onion will fry in the beef fat from the first side and will caramelize fairly quickly since they are sliced paper-thin. as the onions cook, the juices will steam through the half-cooked patty so that the meat will not dry out.

this is the way.
    This is how its done.

Quote Originally Posted by gqandy405 View Post
    I’m surprised nobody has mentioned New State Burgers. I have a quite a few friends who’s opinion I value and they love the place. The balance between bun veggies and cheese is perfection. I love it too, but my opinion may not qualify since I only eat veggie burgers ��. I will tell you also they have amazing fries and a fried banana pepper recipe that uses a kfc like batter that’s unreal! And to top it off they make the best old fashioned in town with some allocated bourbons you can’t find in most places!
    Any burger list, especially with that many listed, that doesnt include New State is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Any list by Greg Horton (which that one is) features the places where he's friendly with the operators and they give him free food and drink as long as he keeps pumping sunshine about them.

That must not be the case at Bar Arbolada and Nic's, because by consensus they are near the very best in town (and justifiably so) but not on his list.

I would trust the opinion of most posters here over any local food writer; at least people here are honest and not corrupted with undisclosed freebies. Dave Cathey is every bit as bad.
    I've heard the same and its why you have a few good burgers left off this list.

^

Also, 405 Magazine does plenty of 'advertorial' content, where the subjects of an article pay them to be featured. Same with their "Best Of" 'voting'.

Why anyone gives them any attention is beyond me.

People seem to love The Garage for some reason but I've always felt theirs were a little overrated. I'm a fan of Patty Wagon personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    People seem to love The Garage for some reason but I've always felt theirs were a little overrated. I'm a fan of Patty Wagon personally.
    Ditto, nothing I've ever had from The Garage has been anywhere close to any of the better burger places in the city. Patty Wagon is good, but their buns are sweeter than usual, and I've just had all their variations and specials that I'm interested in (we live a block away), so we're a bit burned out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I think the Garage and S&B's are super solid burgers

My OKC metro - 5, in no particular order: Cow Calf-Hay in south Edmond, Patty Wagon, MOB Grill, Tucker's, and Richey's Grill. I will admit I have more of a traditional burger taste rather than loading them up with eggs, rubbing patties in coffee grinds, throwing on a half pound of bacon, or loading with Mac and cheese. Not that there's anything wrong with any of those!

The Fixx in Edmond was my favorite before it fell to Covid.

New State to me was good, but not award winning. I did enjoy their bar and the atmosphere. I'm certainly interested now in trying the Arbolata burger mentioned here.

If you're ever in Dallas, my favorite burger ever is at Burger House. Went there multiple times a week in college.

I love this post. I love hamburgers.

Arbolada, New State and Tucker's are our go-to's depending on what we're craving as all 3 are different enough. I've been to the original Nic's several times, and while it's good, it is not a place I am ever rushing back to. Abraham's original location on Western was my favorite onion burger in the city, but never was the same after he relocated to downtown and then across from the Wedge on Western.

Has anyone been to Bunny's Onion burger on meridian and 50th? I drive by it often. Looks like a hole in the wall but maybe it's really good?

Not a burger but when I moved to OKC in 2011 my wifes mother got us a steak sandwich from Chuck House. I had never heard of a steak sandwich and it was amazing. Been a while since I had one.

edit: I really need to start proofreading before I click on save haha, I'm working and messing around on this site.

Has anyone been to Bunny's Onion burger on meridian and 50th? I drive by it often. Looks like a whole in the wall but maybe it's really good?

Not a burger but when I moved to OKC in 2011 my wifes mother got us a steak sandwich from Chuck House. I had never heard of a steak sandwich and it was amazing. Been a while since I had one.
    Bunny's is very good! I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Thought about going there, but the reviews on yelp put me off (dirty, gross, bad service, food's just OK, etc.).

Has anyone been to Bunny's Onion burger on meridian and 50th? I drive by it often. Looks like a hole in the wall but maybe it's really good?

edit: I really need to start proofreading before I click on save haha, I'm working and messing around on this site.
    Chuck House is pretty good CFS, probably not the best, but it's a very good standard representation of it, we get a dinner with it, mashed potatoes and Texas toast every 6 months or so.

I just want to say how lucky we are to have all these outstanding burger joints around. This thread makes me also realize how few I've visited. I need to get out more.

Thought about going there, but the reviews on yelp put me off (dirty, gross, bad service, food's just OK, etc.).
    I've eaten there, both dine-in and take-out, several times. I've never experienced anything like that and was very please with the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    we like bunny's a lot as well ..

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I've eaten there, both dine-in and take-out, several times. I've never experienced anything like that and was very please with the quality.
    GTK, thanks, worth a shot then...

Just found Bunny's has a S. Meridian location and an IG account, food looks great

https://www.instagram.com/bunnysonionburgerssouth_h/

and a website

https://www.bunnysonionburgers.com/order

Thread Information