Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Yes, heat dome continues to meander around the plains for at least another week. Drought is building back in across OK, and TX is dry as a bone. Expecting an increase in grass fires due to fireworks for the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Yes, heat dome continues to meander around the plains for at least another week. Drought is building back in across OK, and TX is dry as a bone. Expecting an increase in grass fires due to fireworks for the next couple weeks.
    Though some of the hardest-hit areas like northwest OK and the Panhandle have seen multiple days of rain which is almost unheard of during this time of year. I know Wichita has received a good deal of moisture in the past two weeks while areas just to the south have been dry. Just an odd pattern.

Rain chances have really diminished for OK this weekend. There could be some in the southeast with a tropical disturbance. Possibly better chances the week after the 4th. Lawns will be browning if they haven't already....

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Summer of ‘80 was first summer after my freshman year of college, and being from far SW Okla i went back to work on the farm. Irrigated cotton, plowed wheat fields (no cab tractor), worked cattle, etc. It was brutal and was not just 100 - many days down there were 105-110 air temp (for over 60 straight days). I can validate Pete’s recall on how brutal that summer was.
    You just had to remind me of the fun summers I had in college at OSU. That was my last summer up there before getting hired just a month before graduation in the fall. I had horses during college. I needed hay. I worked for a guy on his hay crew in exchange for hay for my horses. We would haul hay all night and his wife would fix a big country breakfast. I would go back to the dorm and sleep all morning and go to class in the afternoons and study until almost dark. Around dark the work would begin. He had lights on tractors and hay trailers. Just remember how hot and dusty it was. I was a dumb broke college girl who wanted horses. Even then hay haulers were hard to find. I remember getting laughed at, other farmers in the area told him that he was hard up having to hire a woman to load his hay.

Hauling hay is very tough work. Yet, it would seem young guys would welcome it as a way to build up their muscles and make some money, along with maybe working with a girl or two who loves horses.

Thread Information