Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

As far as I’m concerned, this wind can keep blowing for as long as we stay above 90F every day. We usually get too much wind when it’s cold and not enough wind when it’s hot, IMO.

2. Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    As far as I’m concerned, this wind can keep blowing for as long as we stay above 90F every day. We usually get too much wind when it’s cold and not enough wind when it’s hot, IMO.
    Agreed.... I mowed my yard Sunday evening about 6 PM and hardly broke a sweat until I got to the side yard that didn't have any breeze moving in it.

The next 10 days all look to be near or over 100 degrees.

Can anyone remember it being this hot for so long starting in the 2nd week of June??

This is craziness. I hate the Oklahoma summers and this one looks to be pretty awful.

4. Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The next 10 days all look to be near or over 100 degrees.

Can anyone remember it being this hot for so long starting in the 2nd week of June??

This is craziness. I hate the Oklahoma summers and this one looks to be pretty awful.
    I've been here my whole 63 years and I don't remember any long strings of almost 100/over 100 in June. But being Oklahoma this doesn't necessarily mean July and Aug will stay hot. Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I've been here my whole 63 years and I don't remember any long strings of almost 100/over 100 in June. But being Oklahoma this doesn't necessarily mean July and Aug will stay hot. Hopefully not.
    Yes, hopefully not.

I was a lifeguard the summer of 1980 when we had something like 40 summer days over 100. And for some reason we didn't even have an umbrella on the lifeguard stand. Sat in the direct sun for at least 8 hours each of those 40 days plus plenty more when it was in the 90's. I remember the pool water was so warm it didn't even cool you off to get in.

I start to have flashbacks every time we start on one of these heat waves.

6. Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

I was a lifeguard the summer of 1980 when we had something like 40 summer days over 100.
    Hey at least you had water to get it in..... I was mowing lawns 4 days a week that summer.

We would get out as early as possible without getting complaints and practically be running behind our push mowers to try and get done before noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Hey at least you had water to get it in..... I was mowing lawns 4 days a week that summer.

We would get out as early as possible without getting complaints and practically be running behind our push mowers to try and get done before noon.
    In case you start to tell this story and younger people think you are exaggerating, I just looked this up...

49! days over 100 that summer and just about every other day was over 95.

This was a summer when I was home from college and my parents would never (as in never) run the A/C overnight and usually wouldn't even turn it on until well after noon, when it was already scorching hot. And I bet our thermostat was never set much below 80.

Some moisture appears to be returning to the state late next week as the high shifts to the east. Could be a tropical disturbance that impacts our weather as well, it has been showing up the past few model runs.

You guys remember correctly, 1980 is tied [1934] for the second hottest summer on record. Average was 85.9F

2011 smashed that record though, OKC had 63 days of 100F or higher. Average was 87.5

I think this year we have had enough moisture early on to cap some of the air temperatures. However, humidity is in play for 2022 and it doesn't matter what the thermometer says when you are over 90F with 70+ dewpoints. It is miserable.

This is where the breeze really helps.

I've been getting up very early to get everything done outside, and it's been very pleasant before 8 AM.

But hot and windy drys things out very fast. Lawns and gardens are going to suffer.

11. Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

This was a summer when I was home from college and my parents would never (as in never) run the A/C overnight and usually wouldn't even turn it on until well after noon, when it was already scorching hot. And I bet our thermostat was never set much below 80.
    Yeah.... We didn't run the AC in the truck between jobs just to try and stay acclimated to it.... To this day I don't run an AC in my truck because being stuck in an office it's the only way for me to stay acclimated for all the stuff i do outdoors..... Headed to the golf course right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Yeah.... We didn't run the AC in the truck between jobs just to try and stay acclimated to it.... To this day I don't run an AC in my truck because being stuck in an office it's the only way for me to stay acclimated for all the stuff i do outdoors..... Headed to the golf course right now!
    Being a poor college student, my car at that time didn't even have A/C.

It was like driving a microwave.

For me seeing how hazy/dusty the sky is makes the heat seems worse. For some reason I feel the heat and humidity more when it is not clear outside. I assume it is a mix of the dewpoint and the wind kicking up dust that makes it so hazy.

Blog Entries

^They’ve been talking quite a bit on the weather about the dust being from the Sahara Desert. I was in Austin last weekend and it was a big topic there, and the track was showing it going right up thru Okla to KC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    ^They’ve been talking quite a bit on the weather about the dust being from the Sahara Desert. I was in Austin last weekend and it was a big topic there, and the track was showing it going right up thru Okla to KC, etc.
    Yeah I here how great it is an all, but boy does it make our city look bad... I had a friend comment on our "smog" problem and I had to always remind him that is dust blowing in!

Maybe an outside shot (10-20%) at some pulse storms tomorrow and Sunday as the ridge weakens slightly. These would likely be brief and non-severe, if they do form. Thereafter, the ridge will strengthen once again and we will be dry and in the upper 90’s all of next week. Really not seeing much of an opportunity for this pattern to break before the end of the month.

17. Default Re: June 2022 - General Weather Discussion

Yes, hopefully not.

I was a lifeguard the summer of 1980 when we had something like 40 summer days over 100. And for some reason we didn't even have an umbrella on the lifeguard stand. Sat in the direct sun for at least 8 hours each of those 40 days plus plenty more when it was in the 90's. I remember the pool water was so warm it didn't even cool you off to get in.

I start to have flashbacks every time we start on one of these heat waves.
    I remember that year. I was working as an electrician and going to school part time.
    But I don't remember being miserable like I am now at 63 when it's 100.

Blog Entries

Summer of ‘80 was first summer after my freshman year of college, and being from far SW Okla i went back to work on the farm. Irrigated cotton, plowed wheat fields (no cab tractor), worked cattle, etc. It was brutal and was not just 100 - many days down there were 105-110 air temp (for over 60 straight days). I can validate Pete’s recall on how brutal that summer was.

Summer of ‘80 was first summer after my freshman year of college, and being from far SW Okla i went back to work on the farm. Irrigated cotton, plowed wheat fields (no cab tractor), worked cattle, etc. It was brutal and was not just 100 - many days down there were 105-110 air temp (for over 60 straight days). I can validate Pete’s recall on how brutal that summer was.
    IIRC that is when St Helens blew its top.

It was that summer that started me down the path to moving to California.

My parents lived in Warr Acres which meant that we got cable TV before OKC. That also meant we got the Cubs on WGN and the Braves on TBS.

I would purposely watch the night games they played on the West Coast and as I sat there sweating my tail off after 8-10 hours in the intense sun and brutal heat, I envied all those Californians in light jackets in the middle of July; and if the game was in San Francisco, they were often wearing full coats.

I flew out there in early September of 1982, as OU was playing at USC. And went to a night game at Dodger Stadium and didn't bring a jacket or sweatshirt and it was downright chilly by the time we left.

Right then and there, I decided I was moving west at some point in my life. And for 25 years, every place I lived but one didn't have or need A/C. And the one place that did have it -- my house in Thousand Oaks -- I probably turned it on once or twice a year and never at night. In fact, the summer evenings were so nice and cool that if I left a window cracked I usually had to get up in the middle of the night and close it.

People rave about the weather out there but there is no way to comprehend how amazing it is until you actually live there. Warm, gently sunny days, nice cool evenings and mornings. I'll never not miss that.

Might actually get a decent cold front moving through during this upcoming weekend, which could give us at least a small stretch of below-average temperatures (lows in the upper 60’s, highs in the upper 80’s). Still hot hot hot between now and then.

Really not fun when you find yourself needing to call an AC repairman in this kind of heat. I honestly don't know how people are able to live without AC in this part of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Might actually get a decent cold front moving through during this upcoming weekend, which could give us at least a small stretch of below-average temperatures (lows in the upper 60’s, highs in the upper 80’s). Still hot hot hot between now and then.
    Watching that in the models, it *looks* like there could be a pattern shift as the high moves eastward. Interesting this summer is the lack of an early ridge over the western U.S. which has started an early monsoon season for those areas

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Watching that in the models, it *looks* like there could be a pattern shift as the high moves eastward. Interesting this summer is the lack of an early ridge over the western U.S. which has started an early monsoon season for those areas
    Yeah, would love to see that stick around, the four corners region needs rain so badly. Could also indirectly benefit OKC in the form of less wildfire smoke.

Unfortunately this front won’t bring much in the way of moisture for most of OK. Some areas in the NW and Panhandle received rain which is continued great news for those areas. Really need some rain in central and eastern OK now, it’s been a couple weeks now and with the hot temps it is getting dry fast. Next best chance comes next weekend with another front passage.

Thread Information