Widgets Magazine

Thread: CVS Store Closing(s)

1. Northwest OKC CVS Store Closing(s)

My girlfriend told me that she received a notification from CVS that they are closing their store in Warr Acres at 5903 NW Expressway (NW Expressway and MacArthur). Given the company announced last fall that it would be closing 900 stores nationwide in the next 3 years, this will probably not be the only store closing in the OKC metro area.

What becomes of a shuttered CVS building? Especially one on a hard corner of a busy expressway and a major north/south artery? Inquiring minds want to know.

Default Re: CVS Store Closing(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    My girlfriend told me that she received a notification from CVS that they are closing their store in Warr Acres at 5903 NW Expressway (NW Expressway and MacArthur). Given the company announced last fall that it would be closing 900 stores nationwide in the next 3 years, this will probably not be the only store closing in the OKC metro area.

What becomes of a shuttered CVS building? Especially one on a hard corner of a busy expressway and a major north/south artery? Inquiring minds want to know.
    One need only look to the former Eckerd Drug Stores chain, whose stores were purchased by CVS Pharmacy in 2004. While some were converted to the CVS brand (like the store at NE 150th and N Santa Fe in Edmond), many of the older Eckerd's locations were closed in favor of new-construction CVS stores, and eventually became something else. The two I remember for certain were just north of 12th and Santa Fe in Moore (that store stood empty for a few years, before becoming a thrift store called "Save-U-Moore" and then became a Dollar Tree), and in the Walker Square shopping center at SW 59th and Walker in OKC (that store also stood empty for a few years before turning into a successive series of dental offices).

I usually went to that CVS but kinda a challenge now with the bridge going in. My route was to MacArthur at the light by the school then leave for home on the Expressway.

If you consider Norman part of the OKC metro, CVS closed their store on Main back in March.

Yeah I got the same letter from CVS about the same pharmacy as you got.

There are an awful lot of pharmacies in OKC. Everytime walgreens or cvs put in a new one, the other would do their very best to get on the opposite corner. I always believed this was unsustainable.

Why do competitors open their stores next to one another? - Jac de Haan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILgxeNBK_8

NO!!!! That was my preferred pharmacy.

Buy Local, except when it comes to pharmacies? I haven't used a big box pharmacy in a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    NO!!!! That was my preferred pharmacy.
    That was mine too, but I also use Costco and Walgreens.

Anyway, I got a prescription filled at the CVS at Hefner/Rockwell today, and it was a very pleasant transaction (My last couple fills at the NW HWY/MacArthur CVS sucked.)

Anyway, I have not used it yet, but Clyde Pharmacy is individually owned and operated and is at NW 112 & Rockwell, right behind the 7-11, just 2 blocks North of Hefner/Rockwell. If you are wanting to go to an Independent then Clydes might work for you.

10. Default Re: CVS Store Closing(s)

Pharmacies across the country are having a horrible time filling positions as both pharmacists and pharm tech's. It's a sign of the current times that CVS is moving from brick and mortar to fewer, but larger, pharmacies. I imagine it is the same in OKC - that CVS operates out of Target Store pharmacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Yeah I got the same letter from CVS about the same pharmacy as you got.

There are an awful lot of pharmacies in OKC. Everytime walgreens or cvs put in a new one, the other would do their very best to get on the opposite corner. I always believed this was unsustainable.
    It seems like Walmart, Target, grocers, etc were also on a spree of adding/expanding their pharmacy/health sections around that time too.

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but the CVS on 23rd and Meridian is permanently closing on Oct 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Sorry to bring up and old thread, but the CVS on 23rd and Meridian is permanently closing on Oct 3rd.
    I just received my COVID vaccination from the location at NW 39th & MacArthur and multiple unhappy customers from the NW 23rd & Meridian were showing up because their prescriptions were moved to that location.

14. Default Re: CVS Store Closing(s)

I would always suggest using a local pharmacy. The only time i use one of these places is if the local guy tells me they're out and it will be several days and I need something now. Or if it's a 24 hour type of need from an ER/Urgent Care or something.

The box stores are so overwhelmed and understaffed. They are always hours behind. There's no walk up to the counter to drop off your script, and then wait 10 minutes and you get it. The techs are often not well trained in terms of their own systems. Just trying to get a flu shot at the same Walgreens 3 years in a row was a battle of the stupids behind the counter. It was the same employees each time and each time they spent 40 minutes trying to figure out how to enter it. Insurance only paid for them there at that time. I went to my local pharmacy and just paid out of pocket and was done in 10 minutes. Not to mention you can develop a relationship with the pharmacist and staff. They know you and can help guide you if issues with insurance or medications/etc come up because they have the bandwidth to care. CVS/Walgreens/Walmart....they do not have the energy or time to care. It's not their fault, they just are running on empty.

Midtown Pharmacy is amazing. The pharmacist/ owner is incredibly kind. There was a homeless individual walking around the area and he seemed a bit erratic, so the pharmacist locked up his store and walked me to my car! I spent a while speaking with him and he has great plans to try to help out the homeless population who cannot afford their medications.

Ralph's Family Pharmacy in Edmond is wonderful. I love the personal service. I left those big box pharmacies in the dust years ago when I was tired of just being a number.

Clyde Pharmacy on Rockwell south of Hefner and Walgreens/Cvs/Walmart is excellent. Left Walgreens last year for them based on a recommendation and couldn't be happier.

We use Clyde's as well. We had an Wed appointment for the new covid shot plus the senior flu shot. He's great!

Thread Information