Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

  1. #1

    Default What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    What was the name of the old BBQ place that was at 1035 NW 63rd; the building that later became Irma's?

  2. #2

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What was the name of the old BBQ place that was at 1035 NW 63rd; the building that later became Irma's?
    Not sure about BBQ, but it was Doc's before Irma's, I believe. Their fried peaches and sauce were incredible.

  3. #3

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    after doc's and before irma's, this was a rib crib.

    EDIT: here's a journal record article from 2001 to back that up... it was at 1035 nw 63rd:

    Rib Crib opens 20th unit | The Journal Record

  4. #4

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    after doc's and before irma's, this was a rib crib.
    Thanks. What was Doc's?

  5. #5

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    ^it was a burger joint owned by doc severinsen... i'll see what i can find.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    i'm starting to doubt myself... i'm pretty sure this place was called doc's for burgers but i think i'm confusing the ownership with the music venue that severinsen owned.

  7. Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Wasn’t Doc Severensen’s where the (now defunct) Cimarron Steak House was located?

    Edit: yes it was

    Still trying to remember the name of the place that preceded Rib Crib in the 63rd location.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    found it... it's crazy, but i wasn't able to find any direct information, just a passing reference in an article about irma's. it was doc's burgers, but it was a paul seikel restaurant.

    Irma's Burger Shack among city's best (oklahoman.com)

    EDIT: ok... maybe one direct reference from 1996 after they closed:
    Restaurant Owner Sues City (oklahoman.com)

  9. #9

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Any idea what it was before Doc's?

    Like in the 1980's? Maybe another BBQ place?

    I think it was Sloop John B's in the late 80's / early 90's. Can't remember exactly what that was, though.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    no idea... doc's is my earliest recollection of the place. i'd like to know when the building was built, but since the lots were combined and the building demolished it's no longer in the assessor's site. from the 1969 aerials you've catalogued, it looks like the building is present there. the southeast corner had a corner entrance at a 45-degree angle... that makes me think it could have originally been some sort of corner store and then added on to multiple times over the years... but that's just a hypothesis.

    i think you're right about sloop john b's... while searching earlier today, i found a 1985 notice in the oklahoman where a place by that name was applying for a liquor license. i had never heard of it.

  11. Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    ^^^^^^^
    I do remember the burger place (Doc’s), but nothing before that.

    What I will say regarding age of the building is that my best guess would be ‘20s or ‘30s, based on my memories of the inside. That said, I also wouldn’t be surprised if it were older (OR newer).

  12. #12

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    I figured it out. The BBQ place was called Beasley's.

    They were there from the '70s until moving to Pink, OK around 1983.

  13. #13

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    interesting... never heard of the place.

    according to a feb 1983 write up in the oklahoman, they moved out of their 63rd & western location in december of 1982 location due to a rent increase. the article says that they initially considered tecumseh but weren't able to secure a beer license there, so they chose to build at highway 9 & okay road near pink.

    i'm guessing it was this building:
    21040 Okay Rd - Google Maps

    here's a pic of the interior from the article:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beasleysbbq_pink.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	17497

  14. #14

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    I used to work in that NW 63rd and Western area in the Early 90s and totally forgot about eating at Doc's. I may be conflating two different places, but I seem to recall their menu was written on a chalkboard with colored chalk and there was maybe a window you could also walk up to and order from? Anyone remember?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,671
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    interesting... never heard of the place.

    according to a feb 1983 write up in the oklahoman, they moved out of their 63rd & western location in december of 1982 location due to a rent increase. the article says that they initially considered tecumseh but weren't able to secure a beer license there, so they chose to build at highway 9 & okay road near pink.

    i'm guessing it was this building:
    21040 Okay Rd - Google Maps

    here's a pic of the interior from the article:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beasleysbbq_pink.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	17497
    I think Beasley just liked the fishing better around pink 😀

    The barbecue was very good and his hot sauce was da bomb.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,671
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think Beasley just liked the fishing better around pink 😀

    The barbecue was very good and his hot sauce was da bomb.
    That pic must be from Pink as it sure doesn’t look like the 63rd st location.

  17. #17

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That pic must be from Pink as it sure doesn’t look like the 63rd st location.
    correct!

  18. #18

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Beasley's BBQ sounds correct to me. The burger place was called "Doc's, RX For Burgers" if I remember correctly. No relation to Doc Severinsen, I believe that he was part of "Doc Severinsen's" in 1983 which later became "City Lights", also a music venue on the north side of Reno, just east of Meridian. You can also further up the mix by adding the name French “Doc Blue” Hickman of OKC fame. That's a lotta' Doc's.

  19. #19

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayvaflav View Post
    Beasley's BBQ sounds correct to me. The burger place was called "Doc's, RX For Burgers" if I remember correctly. No relation to Doc Severinsen, I believe that he was part of "Doc Severinsen's" in 1983 which later became "City Lights", also a music venue on the north side of Reno, just east of Meridian. You can also further up the mix by adding the name French “Doc Blue” Hickman of OKC fame. That's a lotta' Doc's.
    I think I remember Doc Blue - did he have a club in French Market Mall a looooong time ago? If so, then I'll have been to all of the Doc places mentioned here, lol...

  20. #20

    Default Re: What was the BBQ place that preceded Irma's?

    Quote Originally Posted by rayvaflav View Post
    Beasley's BBQ sounds correct to me. The burger place was called "Doc's, RX For Burgers" if I remember correctly. No relation to Doc Severinsen, I believe that he was part of "Doc Severinsen's" in 1983 which later became "City Lights", also a music venue on the north side of Reno, just east of Meridian. You can also further up the mix by adding the name French “Doc Blue” Hickman of OKC fame. That's a lotta' Doc's.
    The only Doc Severinsen's in Oklahoma City was at the location of the former Henson's (Henson Cargill) on Meridian just north of Reno.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Irma's
    By metro in forum Restaurants & Bars
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 10-25-2018, 03:06 PM
  2. Hurricane Irma
    By jerrywall in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM
  3. The Mystery of Irma Vep at Lyric Theatre
    By warreng88 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  4. Moe's Place
    By larrys66diner in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 06:34 AM
  5. Best place to eat in OKC?
    By BG918 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-03-2006, 09:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO