Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kkwd 104.9

  1. #1

    Default Kkwd 104.9

    https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...104-9-departs/
    After stunting for two hours with construction sounds, Cumulus Media has flipped Rhythmic CHR “Wild 104.9” KKWD Bethany/Oklahoma City OK to Variety Hits “Alice 104.9“.

    The “Alice” brand was previously heard on 96.9 KQOB Enid from 2017 until the end of 2021 when Cumulus’ LMA of the station came to an end.

    KKWD had a 1.8 share in the March 2022 Nielsen Audio ratings placing it well behind iHeartMedia CHR “KJ 103” KJYO’s 6.0. Perry Broadcasting Hip Hop “Power 103.5” KVSP does not subscribe to Nielsen. The new format mostly targets Tyler Media’s market leading Classic Hits 92.5 KOMA-FM‘s 8.2 share.

    The station will feature 96.3 WDVD Detroit afternoon host Dave Fuller in mornings. “98.1 The Sports Animal” WWLS-FM producer Tony Z will host middays. He also had a long run at Rock 100.5 KATT. Cumulus Oklahoma City Director of Commercial Production Leo Cage will host afternoons. Cage was previously heard on 96.9 KQOB under multiple brands and KATT. The Greg Beharrell Show will be heard at night with Beharrell also serving as imaging voice.

    No word yet on the status of the former “Wild 104.9” staff.

    The first hour of “Alice 104.9” featured:

    Journey – Don’t Stop Believin’
    Ed Sheerhan – Shape of You
    Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer
    Third Eye Blind – Semi Charmed Life
    Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams
    Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
    Outfield – Your Love
    Coldplay – Clocks
    Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar On Me
    Aerosmith – Sweet Emotion
    Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under The Bridge
    Simple Minds – Don’t You (Forget About Me)
    A-ha – Take On Me
    The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    One of the worst hours of music I've ever seen, lol...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    One of the worst hours of music I've ever seen, lol...
    Wait, what? Al of those songs alone are hits. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is basically everyone else's, in some way, shape, or form. The elitism is strong...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Terrestial radio? How quaint.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Wait, what? Al of those songs alone are hits. It may not be your cup of tea, but it is basically everyone else's, in some way, shape, or form. The elitism is strong...
    Oh, absolutely - I'm a music snob, a food snob, and probably other kinds. Radio (in any form) just doesn't do it for me - the SiriusXM free trial I got with my car isn't impressing me - the "Deep Tracks" aren't anywhere close to really "deep", the "1st Wave" is laughable with the artists they classify as that, and out of the 12 hours or so I've spent listening to 4-5 different channels at different times of day and different days, I've heard "Just What I Needed" on that channel 4 times. The "Studio 54" channel is halfway decent, and "SiriusXMU" is nice for playing artists I'm not familiar with (but I don't need to hear the same song by Kurt Vile every time I flip it over to that channel). I've almost never listened to "hits" and hate averageness and formula in music...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Oh, absolutely - I'm a music snob, a food snob, and probably other kinds. Radio (in any form) just doesn't do it for me - the SiriusXM free trial I got with my car isn't impressing me - the "Deep Tracks" aren't anywhere close to really "deep", the "1st Wave" is laughable with the artists they classify as that, and out of the 12 hours or so I've spent listening to 4-5 different channels at different times of day and different days, I've heard "Just What I Needed" on that channel 4 times. The "Studio 54" channel is halfway decent, and "SiriusXMU" is nice for playing artists I'm not familiar with (but I don't need to hear the same song by Kurt Vile every time I flip it over to that channel). I've almost never listened to "hits" and hate averageness and formula in music...
    Sirius is really bad about short play lists. On classic Vinyl out of every say, 60 songs, 50 will be the same over and over again with the other 10 rotating somewhat. Come on! Classic Vinyl is supposed to be rock hits of the late 60s, 70s and 80s. That would be a list to pick from of literally many 100s of songs.

  7. Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Sirius is really bad about short play lists. On classic Vinyl out of every say, 60 songs, 50 will be the same over and over again with the other 10 rotating somewhat. Come on! Classic Vinyl is supposed to be rock hits of the late 60s, 70s and 80s. That would be a list to pick from of literally many 100s of songs.
    It's horrible.... My girlfriend usually has it on in her car and I hear the same songs almost any time we ride somewhere together.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's horrible.... My girlfriend usually has it on in her car and I hear the same songs almost any time we ride somewhere together.
    For some reason, I thought satellite radio was supposed to be a bit more freeform and original than what terrestrial radio had turned into, but I guess it's just more of the same corporate stuff except split off into more categories (with the exception of special channels and artist-done channels, I suppose, but I haven't listened to much of those yet).

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Yah i thought the point of satellite radio was more options and less repetition but that was never the case. I pretty much only listen to spotify. their algorithm has really gotten good over the years. I have been a premium subscriber from the beginnings of it. the daily playlists it creates are generally good to play whenever not sure what I want to hear. I also have a few "Blend" buddies. were they link us together and make daily playlists off of our tastes collectively and that has been great in discovering music or sometimes just reminding me of stuff i may have forgotten.

  10. Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    For some reason, I thought satellite radio was supposed to be a bit more freeform and original than what terrestrial radio had turned into, but I guess it's just more of the same corporate stuff except split off into more categories (with the exception of special channels and artist-done channels, I suppose, but I haven't listened to much of those yet).
    I love siriusxm. Best stations for genre specific music that is not a streaming app. You like country there is channels for old, new, pop and same with rock, alternative, indie etc.

    I was born in 75 so I listen mostly to SiriusXMU channel, Alt Nation, First Wave, and Lithium aka 90's alt and grunge plus I love howard stern always have.

    And I can travel anywhere in my vehicle and still pick up the channels no need for internet or terrestrial radio losing a signal

  11. Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Oh, absolutely - I'm a music snob, a food snob, and probably other kinds. Radio (in any form) just doesn't do it for me - the SiriusXM free trial I got with my car isn't impressing me - the "Deep Tracks" aren't anywhere close to really "deep", the "1st Wave" is laughable with the artists they classify as that, and out of the 12 hours or so I've spent listening to 4-5 different channels at different times of day and different days, I've heard "Just What I Needed" on that channel 4 times. The "Studio 54" channel is halfway decent, and "SiriusXMU" is nice for playing artists I'm not familiar with (but I don't need to hear the same song by Kurt Vile every time I flip it over to that channel). I've almost never listened to "hits" and hate averageness and formula in music...
    1st wave is amazing what are you talking about? Plays songs you would never hear on radio stations in the 80's and 90's and sure there will be some songs that probably don't belong but it is better than any terrestrial stations. SiriusXMU and Alt Nation are my favorite and of course they will have repeats of new popular songs because people want to hear new popular songs from indie bands instead of the old stuff over and over but I do love older indie music. Kurt Vile recently had an album released and he is on tour hence the reason you hear him a lot and they have indie genre specific shows like gorilla vs bear, aquarium drunkard, brooklyn vegan, etc

    Plus with satellite you never lose your signal no matter if you are in the middle of no where like driving to my wife's families ranch in far SW OK

  12. #12

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    It's horrible.... My girlfriend usually has it on in her car and I hear the same songs almost any time we ride somewhere together.
    Try WFUV-fm, either online or through I heart radio. It's free form with each DJ having their own playlist. Mutiple eras and genres. An additional bonus is they are a NPR non commercial station.
    They broadcast from Fordam University.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    1st wave is amazing what are you talking about? Plays songs you would never hear on radio stations in the 80's and 90's and sure there will be some songs that probably don't belong but it is better than any terrestrial stations. SiriusXMU and Alt Nation are my favorite and of course they will have repeats of new popular songs because people want to hear new popular songs from indie bands instead of the old stuff over and over but I do love older indie music. Kurt Vile recently had an album released and he is on tour hence the reason you hear him a lot and they have indie genre specific shows like gorilla vs bear, aquarium drunkard, brooklyn vegan, etc

    Plus with satellite you never lose your signal no matter if you are in the middle of no where like driving to my wife's families ranch in far SW OK
    Well, the perspective I'm coming from is that I started buying records earlier than you were born, went to my first concert when I was 12 (KISS) in 1977, and have had thousands of albums, CDs, cassettes, MP3s, FLACs, MiniDiscs (no 8-tracks), and like pretty much any genre except some pop/country that's been samey-samey formula/factory cranked out over the past decade, so I've just kind of heard most of it in some form or another or have heard some kind of unreleased live version that's circulating on the internet that's better. And my MINI has a USB port for audio that I need to make sure works so I can just put a bunch of my stuff on a USB drive after my SiriusXM free trial expires. :-D

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    I was the Director of Technology for Digital Music Express (DMX), which was a subscription music service and the forerunner of Sirius/XM. It's still around but very different from what it once was.

    It was a horribly mismanaged business (not by me!), run primarily by older guys that came from the record labels, and some of the most deeply dishonest and corrupt people I have ever come across. The old record company system was horrific.

    Anyway, it was great fun for a while and I learned a ton about music programming. We had about 10-15 music programmers who each oversaw a genre; for example one person programmed multiple alternative rock channels, plus power pop and some other related formats. Another handled all the various flavors of county, etc.

    We were based in West L.A. and the programmers were all pretty much music savants; none of them had any air time, they all worked behind the scenes. They were amazing in their knowledge and interest and spent all their work and free time looking for new and interesting acts and tracks. We also got free passes to all the live music venues and thus I spent many nights at The Troubador, The Whisky, Greek Theater and many more.

    At the time, this digital music concept was still relatively new so the programmers had a lot of freedom. We all had receivers and music systems in our offices (at least those of us who had offices) and no one cared if you blasted music all day -- apart from the tenants above and below who complained incessantly.

    For each channel, a universe of tracks would be built and with continuous additions. They would categorize each, such as A for the highest rotation, B for the next group and one down the line. They'd write an algorithm something like AABCABBACDAAB... And then continue to tweak it. They all had their own categories depending on the genre; for example, "A" for a country channel may be an oldie, "B" might be a ballad, "C" could be a honky tonk type, etc.

    Then, they would run the program and let the computer come up with a big playlist, and then comb through the entire thing and make some manual changes. There were options in the software to screen against things like "no two songs in a row by a certain artist, or year or type" and a hundred other variations.

    At the time, radio stations were using this same software and approach. I'm sure something similar is still done today and the program manager is the one that usually dictates the universe of tracks and the algorithm.

    We also had to provide detailed monthly reports which showed exactly what songs we played and how many times (remember this was 24/7 across 120 channels - the data files were massive) that went to a couple of clearinghouses for royalty purposes. BTW, the movie and TV studios also have complex systems for royalties (there are a million variables and it all has to be tracked with payments made according to thousands and thousands of contracts) and I worked on some of them when I was a management consultant.


    Anyway, until I worked there I had no idea how they came up with the music that was played. Just thought I'd share!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I was the Director of Technology for Digital Music Express (DMX), which was a subscription music service and the forerunner of Sirius/XM. It's still around but very different from what it once was.

    It was a horribly mismanaged business (not by me!), run primarily by older guys that came from the record labels, and some of the most deeply dishonest and corrupt people I have ever come across. The old record company system was horrific.

    Anyway, it was great fun for a while and I learned a ton about music programming. We had about 10-15 music programmers who each oversaw a genre; for example one person programmed multiple alternative rock channels, plus power pop and some other related formats. Another handled all the various flavors of county, etc.

    We were based in West L.A. and the programmers were all pretty much music savants; none of them had any air time, they all worked behind the scenes. They were amazing in their knowledge and interest and spent all their work and free time looking for new and interesting acts and tracks. We also got free passes to all the live music venues and thus I spent many nights at The Troubador, The Whisky, Greek Theater and many more.

    At the time, this digital music concept was still relatively new so the programmers had a lot of freedom. We all had receivers and music systems in our offices (at least those of us who had offices) and no one cared if you blasted music all day -- apart from the tenants above and below who complained incessantly.

    For each channel, a universe of tracks would be built and with continuous additions. They would categorize each, such as A for the highest rotation, B for the next group and one down the line. They'd write an algorithm something like AABCABBACDAAB... And then continue to tweak it. They all had their own categories depending on the genre; for example, "A" for a country channel may be an oldie, "B" might be a ballad, "C" could be a honky tonk type, etc.

    Then, they would run the program and let the computer come up with a big playlist, and then comb through the entire thing and make some manual changes. There were options in the software to screen against things like "no two songs in a row by a certain artist, or year or type" and a hundred other variations.

    At the time, radio stations were using this same software and approach. I'm sure something similar is still done today and the program manager is the one that usually dictates the universe of tracks and the algorithm.

    We also had to provide detailed monthly reports which showed exactly what songs we played and how many times (remember this was 24/7 across 120 channels - the data files were massive) that went to a couple of clearinghouses for royalty purposes. BTW, the movie and TV studios also have complex systems for royalties (there are a million variables and it all has to be tracked with payments made according to thousands and thousands of contracts) and I worked on some of them when I was a management consultant.


    Anyway, until I worked there I had no idea how they came up with the music that was played. Just thought I'd share!
    very cool thank you for sharing ..

  16. #16

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    I recently was listening to KOMA and caught an earworm. I can't get "We Built This City" by Starship out of my head. I detest that song.

    Could someone at KOMA tell the music programmers to avoid playing Michael Jackson songs every 30 minutes. Thanks.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    Cumulus tried Alice on 96.9 with a much bigger signal, not sure why this time around with a much smaller signal coverage, things would be different? Only thing I can think of, the audience that Wild was targeting was no longer there. (Under 30's?) I would assume the majority of that audience has transitioned to Spotify, Pandora, and other similar services with their smart devices.

    Wild was great in the "18 in a row" days and had all LOCAL personalities that were connected to the community. Citadel and Cumulus slowly downsized the local station staff, I don't think there was anyone local left on Wild when this flip occcured?

  18. #18

  19. Default Re: Kkwd 104.9

    that's too bad, I always liked WILD over KJ-103; seemed like a younger, urban vibe as opposed to KJ's stuck in the 30 year-old suburban definition of Top 40 + ton of ads.

    I liked that Wild was even significant competition to Power 103.5, and in the city has a much better signal. They will be missed; KJ needs some competition.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO