Widgets Magazine

Thread: Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

Default Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

New place in the strip mall on the southeast corner of May/NW 36th (south of *$). It's just down the street from us, haven't tried it yet, but will soon, and will try the tacos first, lol...

https://www.facebook.com/sushisonoraok/

2. Default Re: Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

Are they wrapping the sushi in corn tortillas instead of nori?

Default Re: Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Are they wrapping the sushi in corn tortillas instead of nori?
    Lol. I've gotten my haircut in that strip mall forever and noticed this last couple of months. Really hope they didn't throw their life savings away on something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Lol. I've gotten my haircut in that strip mall forever and noticed this last couple of months. Really hope they didn't throw their life savings away on something like this.
    Ha, I get my haircut there too since we moved in 2016 and I can walk there, Bert's my guy... The sushi actually appears to be their regular taco fillings with avocado and cream cheese wrapped up in rice, not sure if it's Spanish rice or just white rice. Maybe their food's really good, and if not, they don't really have lots of taco truck competition around there so maybe they'll stay in business anyway, we'll try them shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Ha, I get my haircut there too since we moved in 2016 and I can walk there, Bert's my guy... The sushi actually appears to be their regular taco fillings with avocado and cream cheese wrapped up in rice, not sure if it's Spanish rice or just white rice. Maybe their food's really good, and if not, they don't really have lots of taco truck competition around there so maybe they'll stay in business anyway, we'll try them shortly.
    That is wild, Bert has been cutting my hair for like 30 years. He's an old family friend of my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    That is wild, Bert has been cutting my hair for like 30 years. He's an old family friend of my parents.
    I must be old then - he's about my age, lol.....

I am so intrigued by this

They're on my short list to try now since they're really close to me. Seems like an interesting concept at least!

Ate here a couple of afternoons ago, really good food and pretty nice decor (all new, matching tables, laminated menu, one wall of wood/metal planks, etc.).

Both wife and I had the al pastor with beans and pineapple on corn - pretty good, not overstuffed, she had a shrimp on corn - large shrimp, nicely done, good spices and grilled flavor (I had a bite), she also had a carne asada on corn - good, from what she said (I didn't get a taste), and she put a whole grilled pepper from their bar on it. I had an order of 3 birria (took 2 home) - good taste, not enough cheese, needed to be grilled more (the DIY birria at Birrieria Diaz is the best birria I've had here, and Birrieria Utzil's tacos are better than Sonora Querida's), and a lengua on corn - very nicely chopped up, great taste.

Their fresh bar is fantastic - probably 20 items, from salsas to veggies to grilled peppers. Also really good are their complementary beans (I think he said they were charro) - good chunks of ham (I believe) in them along with onions, spices, etc., done perfectly - not mushy or crunchy. We also got a mini strawberry cake and chocoflan to go. Strawberry cake was really good - moist, very much a strawberry taste, whipped cream was nice and in between layers of cake was whipped cream and some kind of strawberry jelly. Chocoflan looks like chocolate pie on top of flan, will eat it tonight, but should also be pretty good.

Service was friendly and quick, chef (owner too, maybe) came out a couple of times asking how things were and how we had heard of them (I think he was disappointed that I told him I got my hair cut at the place across the parking lot and saw their sign ).

Wanted to try their basic meats first before I try their sushi, but will be more adventurous next time. Y'all need to go here if you like good, super-fresh street tacos of all kinds of meats, keep them in business, they're off the beaten path, so if you eat here and like it, spread the word!!!

10. Default Re: Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

Y'all need to go here if you like good, super-fresh street tacos of all kinds of meats, keep them in business, they're off the beaten path, so if you eat here and like it, spread the word!!!
    Did they offer chicharron tacos?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Did they offer chicharron tacos?
    I don't believe I saw chicharron anything on the menu.

12. Default Re: Sonora Querida Mexican Sushi and Tacos

I don't believe I saw chicharron anything on the menu.
    Darn....Hard to find... Hugo's Taquiza's had them when they were open and I've found them at a few trucks that are no longer in business.

Ate here a couple of afternoons ago, really good food and pretty nice decor (all new, matching tables, laminated menu, one wall of wood/metal planks, etc.).

Both wife and I had the al pastor with beans and pineapple on corn - pretty good, not overstuffed, she had a shrimp on corn - large shrimp, nicely done, good spices and grilled flavor (I had a bite), she also had a carne asada on corn - good, from what she said (I didn't get a taste), and she put a whole grilled pepper from their bar on it. I had an order of 3 birria (took 2 home) - good taste, not enough cheese, needed to be grilled more (the DIY birria at Birrieria Diaz is the best birria I've had here, and Birrieria Utzil's tacos are better than Sonora Querida's), and a lengua on corn - very nicely chopped up, great taste.

Their fresh bar is fantastic - probably 20 items, from salsas to veggies to grilled peppers. Also really good are their complementary beans (I think he said they were charro) - good chunks of ham (I believe) in them along with onions, spices, etc., done perfectly - not mushy or crunchy. We also got a mini strawberry cake and chocoflan to go. Strawberry cake was really good - moist, very much a strawberry taste, whipped cream was nice and in between layers of cake was whipped cream and some kind of strawberry jelly. Chocoflan looks like chocolate pie on top of flan, will eat it tonight, but should also be pretty good.

Service was friendly and quick, chef (owner too, maybe) came out a couple of times asking how things were and how we had heard of them (I think he was disappointed that I told him I got my hair cut at the place across the parking lot and saw their sign ).

Wanted to try their basic meats first before I try their sushi, but will be more adventurous next time. Y'all need to go here if you like good, super-fresh street tacos of all kinds of meats, keep them in business, they're off the beaten path, so if you eat here and like it, spread the word!!!
    Great descriptive review. Reviews like this are very helpful. Will have to give it a try, Any good hot salsas on the fresh bar that you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Great descriptive review. Reviews like this are very helpful. Will have to give it a try, Any good hot salsas on the fresh bar that you tried?
    Thanks, that's how I do all my reviews. And yours aren't too shabby, either. I honestly can't remember which salsa I used, but I think it was either the habanero or arbol (or both). I need to investigate the fresh bar way more thoroughly next time, maybe even try the sushi...

Went again last night, words you don't expect to hear in a Mexican restaurant - "Do you want chopsticks?" I had the sushi toreador and it was decent (the soy sauce had a little different taste to it from regular Asian, which is good, and the cream cheese they serve on the side is nicely spiced/flavored), and the tripitas taco. Wife had the taco mixto (fish was better than the shrimp, she said) and taco haas and didn't realize until she got it that it was the filling on top of a tortilla on top of cheese on top of the grill, so it's kind of like a tostada on steroids. Pics of their fresh bar attached (grilled green onions were nice).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231221_163733_resized.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	760.7 KB 
ID:	18524 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231221_163728_resized.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	785.6 KB 
ID:	18523 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231221_163746_resized.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	644.3 KB 
ID:	18525

I had this Friday and it wasn't insanely knock my socks off good but it was tasty. And the sushi rolls were HUGE, I'll be back for sure!

Thread Information