Widgets Magazine

Thread: Chisholm South

Far North Chisholm South

The actual name of this development has yet to be revealed, so I'm just labeling it Chisholm South for now.

This is 50 acres directly south of Chisholm Creek along Western.

The conceptual site plan shows 4 apartment buildings, each with structured parking and some central buildings (probably pool, gym, etc.).

To the south would be a good number of patio homes or free-standing townhomes.

Default Re: Chisholm South

this would be great in bringing more people to this area and hopefully speeding up the rest of the Chisolm development

Imagine living 300' away from top golf and the only way to get there is by getting in your car, driving a full mile, and then parking in a spot that is a further away from the destination than your apartment.

Pete, I noticed they’re also building row homes a little bit south of here on western.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully there's a gate.

I am pleasantly surprised to see development creeping south down Western. It has long been a weird feature of the metro geography that we have this pocket of empty land between that part of north OKC and Edmond. The perceived state of the OKC school district has had a lot to do that, and the Hefner and Western intersection has been pretty rough for at least a generation which caused me to wonder if development was ever going to fill in that land.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Imagine living 300' away from top golf and the only way to get there is by getting in your car, driving a full mile, and then parking in a spot that is a further away from the destination than your apartment.
    Yeah this kind of crap irritates me to no end. They could easily foster a decent connection but chose not to. It’s the same situation with the apartments north of quail springs.

Don't be so sure the developers of this project and those of Chisholm Creek won't work towards some sort of pedestrian connection.

Both projects can help each other.

Yeah you wouldn't want all that connected for vehicles otherwise you'd be opening the area for cut-thru traffic. Pedestrian walkways would be fantastic, or golf cart-worthy connections!

I was wondering the other day what the story was on that nice house on Western. Looks like its days are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Yeah you wouldn't want all that connected for vehicles otherwise you'd be opening the area for cut-thru traffic. Pedestrian walkways would be fantastic, or golf cart-worthy connections!
    The amount of cut through traffic would be minimal here. Plus it’s always nice to have alternative routes in case of a wreck or something. That’s why grid networks work so well. Los Angeles has tons of barriers that took streets that were open to any traffic being public streets and closed them off made for local traffic only. Might sound good in theory but it lessens the efficiency of the overall network.

Imagine you live here: https://goo.gl/maps/Dj6oD4xnoveAFFkt7

And need to travel here: https://goo.gl/maps/4zB1rHZcH4JatuQQ8

It’s just absurd there isn’t a small connection to allow that.

Same thing with this area: Dropped pin
    https://goo.gl/maps/QQBTt6UqmeEmUqSZA

There are countless examples of this. It all adds up to lost time and fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Don't be so sure the developers of this project and those of Chisholm Creek won't work towards some sort of pedestrian connection.

Both projects can help each other.
    That would be nice. Hopefully it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this would be great in bringing more people to this area and hopefully speeding up the rest of the Chisolm development
    The western and memorial interchange just got busier with the thought of this development

Just kidding but I know there are studies being done on how to fix this but they need to get serious about this interchange

Are they studying it? I mean I would think behind closed doors they have noticed it but anything public?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Are they studying it? I mean I would think behind closed doors they have noticed it but anything public?
    I’ll have to find it but I know city has allocated money recently to a traffic study and proposal of recommendation improvements

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Yes, these site plans could not be less pedestrian oriented. After attending Downton Abbey at our favorite theatre, Flix Brewhouse, my wife and I felt the same about the Half.

It's a shame these developments couldn't have had at least a scintilla of new urbanism, even in a suburban setting with plentiful parking.

Thread Information