Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount Saint Mary

Capitol Hill Mount Saint Mary

They have started a campaign to add a new cafeteria / community center on their gorgeous campus:

Default Re: Mount Saint Mary

Thanks for posting Pete. Back when I graduated 4 years ago a new cafeteria was greatly needed but it has taken the back road to some other projects over the years so I'm glad it seems to be their new focus. It's truly amazing how old that building is but with the fire in 08 or 09 it allowed them to really redo a lot of the inside and reopen back up the 3rd floor fully.
    I know I'm bias but it's still one of my favorite spots in Okc. The campus is beautiful and they have always taken great care to preserve it. There was a rumor when I was in school that they wanted to build a softball field on the south side of the campus but it got nixed because the sisters of mercy didn't want to destroy the very old trees, who knows how much of it is true but the care for the campus is nothing short of amazing.

^

It really is one of the coolest, most beautiful settings in OKC.

I'd really like to be a part of helping the surrounding area redevelop.

One of the things I loved is every year each grade takes a service trip and helps clean, do yard work, paint or really anything for residents of the surrounding neighborhood. One year we cleaned what seemed like an old junk yard from some peoples back yard and seeing how thankful they were just made it all worth it.
    As students my senior year for off campus lunch we would try and eat in Capitol all at Grill on the hill or Coney Island and a few others. I've always thought that Capitol Hill has so much potential I can't wait to see it all come back and be a really thriving neighborhood. Wheeler just to the north can really help too if it is even half of what the drawing depicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It really is one of the coolest, most beautiful settings in OKC.

I'd really like to be a part of helping the surrounding area redevelop.
    Mount 2 Shore, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Mount 2 Shore, if you will.
    Haha... Yeah, we would certainly have to come up with a catchy name!

With the Wheeler District and now Fowler getting involved in Capitol Hill events, it's time to get this area ready for when the streetcar starts running down there... Then things will really take off.

I was actually driving through the neighborhood and found an old building for sale that I had never seen before. It was on 23rd and Harvey and I was curious if any of our history buffs might not if there is anything special about it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	11735

That's the old Capitol Hill General Hospital at 2400 S Harvey. Beautiful building. 5 stories total, including basement and penthouse. It's currently owned by CTC Properties, LLC, but they appear to be trying to sell it. According to a listing on LoopNet, it was listed for sale in July of this year, then set as "Off Market" in September. The building probably deserves it's own thread (if there isn't one already) as I imagine this building will start getting some love as Capitol Hill begins to gentrify.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if someone snaps this building up and turns it into apartments.

Off topic and need to figure out how to start a thread on this. Anyone have the history on Capitol hill general hospital? Also how about old hospitals that no longer existed or have moved to new locations.

As usual, Doug Loudenback has great historical images. There is not much history given though.

Doug Dawgz Blog: Historic Capitol Hlll

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ch_56_2400_harvey_chhospital_193-1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	11744

Name:	ch_56a_2400_harvey_chhospital_1930_.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	11745

Name:	ch_56b_2400_harvey_chhospital_2009.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	11746

There's a small building just north of 24th, on Harvey, that was owned by Dr. Charles Engles and his wife Dr. Loretta Graham Engles. She was our family physician for more than 40 years, until she closed her practice at the end of 1999. He died many years before that, of a heart attack. They were among the group responsible for moving the old hospital to what is now Integris at SW 44 and Western, during the late 60s or early 70s.

At the time, the facilities at the old building had become extremely sub-standard and the area desperately needed a more modern facility.

To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Loretta is still with us though she would be approaching 100 by now. It would be worth while for historians to contact her at Epworth Villa and collect her memories of the older days! Her nephew, Dr. Craig Engles, took over the practice as of 1/1/2000 and might be able to help also...

I was by there today and notice they have started on their Commons project.

Such a beautiful school and setting.

Blog Entries

Real jewel of a building across from Sacred Heart Catholic Church @ 27th South Shartel. Recall my purchase of a raffle ticket in which I won a turkey. When I came to claim my prize; Sister Mary Hortense (Principal) took me to an area where I thought there were freezer compartments.

To my surprise, there it was, a live turkey. Damn thing nearly beat me to death trying to get it home in the back seat of my '76 Impala Chevrolet station wagon.

Yes, good memories of the Mount. The top floor was where many retiring nuns (Sisters of Mercy) were housed--may still be.

Beautiful structure that adds to the significance of historic buildings on the south side including Sacred Heart & Little Flower Catholic Churches.

Southside Jewels

Mount St. Mary's High School, Oklahoma City

Sacred Catholic Church, exterior

Little Flower Catholic Church, interior

Laramie, what happened to the turkey after you got it home? Did it become a pet, or dinner, or both?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Laramie, what happened to the turkey after you got it home? Did it become a pet, or dinner, or both?
    It became a pet, kept attacking the dogs and chasing the children in my neighborhood; so we finally took it out to my Aunt Alberta's in Green Pastures. She put it in with the turkeys, chickens & guineas on her acerage.

My aunt talked as though it was too old & tough to eat. Kept it around mostly as a pet.

No nuns there now. Top floor is abandoned for general reference. http://www.abandonedok.com/mount-st-...ool-4th-floor/

That's a hilarious story.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It became a pet, kept attacking the dogs and chasing the children in my neighborhood; so we finally took it out to my Aunt Alberta's in Green Pastures. She put it in with the turkeys, chickens & guineas on her acerage.

My aunt talked as though it was too old & tough to eat. Kept it around mostly as a pet.
    Sounds like nobody had the heart to kill it.

When I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, somebody in the PTA gave my dad two chicks. He brought them home and we promptly fell in love with them. They grew into big white hens and started laying eggs for us. One of them always laid double-yolk eggs. It was great knowing those eggs were going to be there every single day. The hens lived quite a few years, presumably until the end of their natural lives.

Does anyone on this forum live in this area? What is the neighborhood like?

Back in the 80's it seemed to me to be a lot of elderly blue collar, now its a thriving Hispanic area. I was told that the numbers attending mass at Sacred Heart parish had dwindled but now its thriving with the Hispanic influx. In the area new business and some real good Hispanic bakeries.

The homes are bunglow style with many built in the 20's if I guess right.

Perfecto

My kids go here. This is a new commons area, kitchen and cafeteria for the students. Here is more information http://www.adgokc.com/portfolio/moun...mons-addition/

Thread Information